• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RSDancey replies to Goodman article (Forked Thread: Goodman rebuttal)

ggroy

First Post
Wonder what exactly Dancey meant when he said,

"The forces that are tearing apart the tabletop RPG player networks are utterly outside of Wizards' control".

Possible "forces" he is talking about may possibly be:

- "greying" of the pen and paper rpg customer base?
- MMORPGs eating up more gaming dollars?
- existence of too many "grognards" who refuse to change editions?
- the meaning of life? ;)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
"The forces that are tearing apart the tabletop RPG player networks are utterly outside of Wizards' control".

If it were me, I'd guess that he was referring to either the rapid evolution of electronic entertainment media (which must be one hell of a force to compete with) or the dwindling current fanbase of table-top RPGs effectively fighting with itself on many different fronts (which does nothing to attract newcomers to the hobby).

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
If it were me, I'd guess that he was referring to either the rapid evolution of electronic entertainment media (which must be one hell of a force to compete with) or the dwindling current fanbase of table-top RPGs effectively fighting with itself on many different fronts (which does nothing to attract newcomers to the hobby).

I am curious as to what he meant by that too. Hopefully he makes another appearance there to respond.

ggroy

First Post

Of my nephews and nieces, they're more interested in playing video games. It is as if they never played any board games or even cards. WotC has done very poor job of reaching out to kids and/or teenagers these days.

I remember when I was a kid, TSR had ads in all kinds of areas like comic books, Saturday cartoons, etc ... These days I would question the effectiveness of mediums like comic books, TV, etc ... It seems like kids don't even read comic books anymore, and hardly even watch any TV. Reaching them online via banner ads seems to be largely ineffective. It's as if kids are completely "immune" to online advertisements of any form these days.

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
Dancey works in the MMO business now, does he not? I think that, or online entertainment in general, is what he was referring to. His public statements on the future of RPGs has been all doom & gloom for some time now.

Orius

Legend
Of my nephews and nieces, they're more interested in playing video games. It is as if they never played any board games or even cards. WotC has done very poor job of reaching out to kids and/or teenagers these days.

Maybe, or it could be whatever home environment they were raised in as well. WotC doesn't really have any control over the things that shape a person's life that'll attract them to tabletop games.

Wycen

Explorer
Could some kind soul sum up what Goodman, Dancey and anybody else is talking about? I see these threads but franklly I'm too busy to get at the nuggets of gold.

Thanks?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads