• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[RttToEE]Does anyone ever wonder...

Wicht

Hero
hong said:
How do you "use up" a cloak of resistance?

1. Fire ball happy sorceror in a ten foot by ten foot room filled with oil.

2. Clumsy adventurer on a thin stone bridge over a lake of lava.

3. Misplaced dispel magic

4. Big red dragons

5. Stupidly worded wish

6. Bored kenders with a pair of sharp scissors

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
plus so much damn magic it loses all meaning.

Well, there's a decent amount of magic to be found for the PC's in this module, but I wouldn't say that it's overwhelming. Most of the magic that is available is relatively low to medium end sort of gear. It isn't like there are piles of powerful magic items. You really don't see the good stuff until you make it to the harder parts of the adventure; and even then, the 'good stuff' is about average.

Some people say that it doesn't give enough treasure, while some feel that the module offers too much; but the truth is that the treasure lay out is very balanced. There's not a bunch of items that are overpowered, yet there are plenty of items with which the group can properly equip themselves with.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It really sounds like RttToEE needs a good DM who knows where to inject his or her own material and side-quests.

Cheers!

drakhe

First Post
Re: Re: re

hong said:

Exactly. Surely you should be aware by now of the golden rule: take out the spellcasters first.

Here's a hint: readying missile attacks against spellcasters works wonders.

Thanx for the reminder. I'm starting RttToEE for my gaming group and probably should warn my players of this simple wisdom!

BTW: As a general comment: What I like most about roleplaying is that you can use/dismiss elements as you please. So I for one wil have no qualms whatsoever to adjust whatever is necesary to give my players a FAIR chance. Mind you, a bit of hairraising and some fear invoking certainly is fun! I just like to give my players a way out (even if all but one gets killed and they lose all their gear, if they don't get the message and regroup to go in again without thinking stuff through: the second time arround: NO MERCY <slightly evil grin>

Re: Re: Re

hong said:

In which case, you should know that a save DC of 25 for a disintegrate is par for the course, for a minmaxed spellcaster.

+5 Int 20
+4 Greater Spell Focus
+6 spell level
----

Just one point - Greater Spell Focus (GSF) is from Tome & Blood. The NPCs in RttToEE are created using only the core rules, so none of them have GSF ;-)

I'm running RttToEE at the moment, and my players are enjoying it, and making it fun fior me. We've had a reasonable amount of roleplaying, and they have done very well with their spells in combat. We've just about completed the moathouse, and the only unconscious character I've had so far was when the mage got attacked by the giant frog - yep, the first encounter of the module :)

Duncan

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: Re: Re

Duncan Haldane said:

Just one point - Greater Spell Focus (GSF) is from Tome & Blood. The NPCs in RttToEE are created using only the core rules, so none of them have GSF ;-)

Well, the core rules plus the extras in the appendix. And really, in the end it still all evens out. The clerics getting whacked-out specials just means the DM doesn't have to rejig them to take advantage of feats that become available after the book's release.

I'm running RttToEE at the moment, and my players are enjoying it, and making it fun fior me. We've had a reasonable amount of roleplaying, and they have done very well with their spells in combat. We've just about completed the moathouse, and the only unconscious character I've had so far was when the mage got attacked by the giant frog - yep, the first encounter of the module :)

I thought it was okay as well, but maybe I've got a more easy-going DM than some others. Although we still had something like half a dozen permanent deaths (ie not counting the ones that got raised), and everybody had at least one PC die on them. We also had a fairly large group (8 players at one stage) and better stats than the standard array.

Johno

First Post
Yeah us too.

8 PCs at 7th level are having difficulty at the northern bridge complex. It seems a character dies every other or every third session or there abouts. Last death was a Psychic Warrior that tried to grapple a Barghest...After squeezing the life out of the Psywar, he got ate. Man that ticked them off, all that hard-earned treasure just disappeared!

But they are enjoying the scenario. I have a couple of other interesting things going on around the CRM: They were wary of the Green Dragon, so it has now dominated a number of NPC parties and charges an Entrance fee. Some are talking about taking it on, others are for pressing on towards the Water Temple.

Frostmarrow

First Post
The madness domain was changed in the Dragon Magazine: Deities and Demigods-issue. I can't remember now what it was changed to but the ability granted was a once per day-thingie.

I DMed this module and it was quite neat. I think we got our money's worth out of it. It's not the best we've ever played but it showed us the ropes of d20-gaming right at the start of it all.

How come nothing else as big as Return... has come along lately?

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Frostmarrow said:

Return is - obviously - huge. It's a campaign, really. 10 level of balanced campaign strikes me as being really hard to write.

That Sp[ider Queen mega-module is pretty good sized. Does that count?

Frostmarrow said:
The madness domain was changed in the Dragon Magazine: Deities and Demigods-issue. I can't remember now what it was changed to but the ability granted was a once per day-thingie.

I DMed this module and it was quite neat. I think we got our money's worth out of it. It's not the best we've ever played but it showed us the ropes of d20-gaming right at the start of it all.

Remove ads