• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Ruin Explorer (PrC)

Starfox

Hero
This is a continuation of another thread,
New prestige class, focus on bards
where I introduced an old Prestige class of mine from 3.5, the Ruin Explorer. Built on the Indiana Jones archetype, this is a rogue/bard-like class that focuses on lore, trap evasion, and exploring trapped dungeons.

The 3.5 version can be found here Ruin Explorer 3.5.

A placeholder for a pathfinder version exists here: Ruin Explorer for Pathfinder.

Qestions posed in the last thread:

* Should the magus, alchemist, and/or summoner be able to use this class and progress as spellcasters?

* Should other "full" spellcasting classes (wizard) be able to use this, perhaps losing more caster levels?

* Is Continuing Training too complex an ability?

* Are there any pathfinder rules assumptions that affects this class?

Made a first pass over the Pathfinder version, adjusting the old PrC for the new rules.
... huh?
Why did you make the Ruin Explorer for Pathfinder only five levels?

Edit: Also you forgot to add the Master Finder ability to the chart... unless that is supposed to be General Exploration?

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
I did make it only 5 levels... And I'm not really happy with that :eek:

This is still VERY MUCH a work in progress. Input appreciated.

One suggestion I would give, especially since this is supposed to be a rogue/bard mix is that you should make sure it gives something that either other class has, and more what would be found useful for an explorer. For example the instead of Trap Dodge actually give the Ruin Explorer the Uncanny Dodge and even Improved Uncanny Dodge abilities.
Evasion (or if the character already has Evasion then Improved Evasion) would also be helpful for an Indiana Jones style character.

Lastly, perhaps a luck based ability as Explorers are commonly shown to be very lucky individuals that can get out of seemingly impossible situations.
----------

On giving it some though I feel that neither Clerics or Wizards should be allowed an increase in spell casting. My reasoning for this is because neither class is very skilled and by being allowed to be more skilled they must slow their spellcasting.

Starfox

Hero
I feel that tis should be a 10 level class, but as some of the abilities of the old class no longer felt current, I cut it down. With your ideas and others, I hope to turn it back into a 10-level PrC.

On the Luck Bonus, it could be a increase to a character's saving throws.

Also, another idea I had is perhaps a Linguist ability since an Explorer learns a verity of languages and writings.

Starfox

Hero
Archetypes are class-specific. But I agree archetypes are more generally useful that PrCs - one should not have to wait to level 5 to play the hero you want.

I'll try to see if that's possible, or if an existing archetype covers it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads