Ruined forever

delericho

Legend
Or Finnegan, the academy nemesis. Or just create a new character and storyline entirely. Maybe something (gasp) original?

They'd tried that repeatedly. Unfortunately, all their villains since have inevitably been compared with Khan, and come up short. Only two (Chang and the Borg Queen) have managed to get any traction; most have been abject failures.

Or at least not something they've tried to rehash 4 or 5 times already?

Ah, but that's the thing: they actually hadn't rehashed Khan, as such, at least in the movies. In the novels, sure, but only a tiny minority read those; and "Enterprise" had those episodes with the super-soldiers, but only in series 4, after they'd driven away all their viewers anyway.

So it makes a certain sense - if they'd concluded that the crew for their reboot 'had' to be Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, then it's not at all surprising that one of their early villains 'had' to be Khan, for exactly the same reason. As for whether they did the reboot well... well, that's another discussion.

delericho

Legend
On the topic of the thread: no, I don't think there's anything I'd consider to be Ruined Forever. I do find that the Matrix sequels make revisiting the original less enjoyable, and likewise the Star Wars prequels reduce my enjoyment of the originals. (Which doesn't make any logical sense, but there it is.) But "Ruined Forever"? No.

Oh, actually, there is one thing: the "Dungeons & Dragons" cartoon, which was Ruined Forever by watching it again with adult eyes.

Elf Witch

First Post
Or Finnegan, the academy nemesis. Or just create a new character and storyline entirely. Maybe something (gasp) original? Or at least not something they've tried to rehash 4 or 5 times already?

A new villain would have been nice. I don't think Finnegan would have worked out with this Kirk. The original Kirk was a serious student at the academy not the playboy the new one is. I thought the entire point of rebooting the series was to get away from all thje canon and do new things. Something I have not seen so far.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Ah, but that's the thing: they actually hadn't rehashed Khan, as such, at least in the movies. In the novels, sure, but only a tiny minority read those; and "Enterprise" had those episodes with the super-soldiers, but only in series 4, after they'd driven away all their viewers anyway.

So it makes a certain sense - if they'd concluded that the crew for their reboot 'had' to be Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, then it's not at all surprising that one of their early villains 'had' to be Khan, for exactly the same reason. As for whether they did the reboot well... well, that's another discussion.

Star Trek: Nemesis is essentially Wrath of Kahn for the Next Generation. The Enterprise episodes you mentioned (which also threw in so many other excuses (why Kahn's name sounds so similar to the inventor of Data, Lore, and Beta; why Klingons started to look different, etc).
The thing is, there are so many, many, many possibilities, throwing Kahn in right away is just lazy.

So, maybe this Finnegan is the serious student trying to crack down on Kirk and break him into being a good officer--even more harshly than Spock was? It could happen...

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
There have been a few over the years, but apparently not memorable (one is going to drive me nuts trying to remember what it is!).

The most recent example is Mr. Peabody and Sherman. That was always a great short during Rocky and Bullwinkle, but this new movie ruined the animation, turned Mr. Peabody into a braggart because he has to tell you what he invented instead of allowing you come to that conclusion yourself, has become loud obnoxious and hip*, and has become a corporate shill. Just awful. I hate that this is what my kids think is a good version of Mr. Peabody.

*In a bad way, like the Poochie character inserted into Itchy & scratchy on the Simpsons.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I haven't touched any of the Star Trek reboots. I didn't care for the casting, for one thing- I like Zachary Quinto, but I didn't think he had the gravitas to be Spock. Too youthful. And Benedict Cummerbatch as Khan? Again, I like the actor, but he seems horribly miscast.

Nimoy was 34-35 when cast as Spock, Quinto 32. Not a huge difference there.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
And every time I saw a trailer for one of the films, it looked like a generic big budget JJ Abrams film in Trek clothing. So far, I think the only bit of Abrams' work I've enjoyed is the TV series, Revolution.

That's interesting. I really like the Trek reboots but dislike Revolution. We're opposites! With respect to these products of JJ Abrams, at any rate.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
So, with the recent reboot,remakes etc...and Fan reaction it got me wondering...has a tv show,movie,book series, game or whatever even been "ruined forever" as in you just walk away and never have anything to do with it again?

What was it and how was it "ruined forever" for you?

TV shows and movie cannot be 'ruined forever' because everything will eventually be rebooted or re-imagined or re-done or whatever. You just need for it to come around again. Right now, to me, most of the DC universe is just plain unreadable. That will change in the future, just as it always has.

Some book series have been, but that's usually from the artist himself having some sort of crisis or he goes insane, or whatever - nothing to do with remakes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nimoy was 34-35 when cast as Spock, Quinto 32. Not a huge difference there.

Fair point, but I still think- but for the earliest appearance of Spock (like the Menagerie pilot), Nimoy always came across as more mature- a feeling that only strengthened over time.

To date, Quinto's roles haven't really exhibited that. I just fret the feeling that- like with Cummerbatch- casters in that franchise are looking at hot actors, not necessarily those best for the roles

Remove ads