• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ruins of the Dragon Lord -- first impressions?

I can't find any reviews of it. It's been a long time since I got a boxed set, and I'm wondering about:

1. Production quality. Good maps? Strong binding?
2. Game style. One long dungeon? Series of connected adventures? How does it stack up against, say, the Shackled City Adventure Path, WLD, The Drow War, or Slavelords of Cydonia?
3. Other salient points

Could someone help me out?

Thanks,

Ragnar

Crothian

First Post
Maps look good and the binding on the three books looks fine.

It is a long dungeon but does have some differnet adventuires that all mix together. It doesn't feel like a complete campaign though. It has challegnes enough to take one there but I think a DM might want to fill in something here and there. Least I will if my players go that route.

I don't have shackled city, so no idea how they compaire. It has a more solid plot then WLD, though of the ones you list they are the most alike. Untill Drow Wars is actually all out, hard to say how it stacks up against that. And I like it better then I do Slavelords.

It has one book of tales, rumors, and really cool things like that. So far I'm happy with the box set, but as with all things until I really run it if I ever do, I can't say for certain.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Glad to hear about the maps. I've seen others post less kind things about 'em.

How are the books organized? Have you run any of it yet?

Crothian

First Post
THe maps are not the most beautiful things in the world, but they are fuinctional and easy to read. Frankly, tha's all I'm looking for from a map so I tend to be less hung up about them.

The books really could and probably should have been longer. THe small book is on the country side around the mountain it all takes place in.One big book is the ruins itself, the other is stoiries and some plot and other things.

I have not run any of it yet. It was an option for the PCs but the dwarf heard something about giants along a different path and convinced the rest of the group to go that direction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads