• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules as Law vs. Rules as Guidelines

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Find the various definitions from multiple sources, American English, English English, and list them together for the common denominators:
A gap OR a space OR an opening, and then apply it to the object in question for the best suited operative word. Completely removed is not a space, it's a broken off piece separated from the original.
I very much disagree with this. If I hold my hands close together, there is a space between those two things. They aren't broken, but you can in fact have space between two separate things. And yes, while it is a broken off piece from the original, they are also in fact two separate things with a space between them. They are now a hilt and a blade, not a dagger.
A crack or a fissure is a space. It's called a break. You think holding the pieces close together constitutes a space? The synonyms for a break, none of them imply separated in two. Why is that?
Because synonyms are not the word, they are only similar, yet different words. None of them need to imply separated in two. Further, some of them do imply or can mean separated into different pieces.

1. Interval
2. Gap
3. Discontinuation
4. Discontinuity
5. Lacuna

A break can be an interruption of continuity or uniformity.

1. Space
2. Gap
3. Split

And those are synonyms of break that all have definitions that involve being in more than one piece.
You proposed that one inch is one inch is one inch, because size is the base foundation for people's argument for the slender dagger, and I was demonstrating that you're only saying that because it's "just a dagger", change the topic and "just one inch" changes its tune if you were to cut your finger right off. So, it's not about the size, it's because to your minds, it's just a dagger and it's just one inch. How about that small rod in your piston when you're cruising down the road doing 85 on your motorcycle? I bet if that snapped in two you're be mighty concerned, and that's less than one inch.
And a mending spell could fix it. :p

You keep coming back to fingers, but you're comparing apples and oranges, because in D&D magic treats both differently. D&D is not the real world where if I lose a finger there's no priest at the local church that can cast regeneration for a fee.
A tear, is the language used to describe damage to a soft object, like clothing. A break, is the language used to describe damage to a hard object, like a shield. A wound, is the language used to describe damage to a living being. See my point? In each category there are words used to describe damage to varying degrees. A rip works with cloth, a cut works with flesh, and a crack works with a shield. You can add "small" to each of those descriptors, and no one will question if it is a small amount of damage. Word choice matters. Put the slender dagger and the finger beside each other with their respective damage description words. They are both the same size thickness. A dagger is much harder, duh, so it can withstand much more damage before it's "damaged". Now apply pressure to both, the finger will crack first, the dagger at a much higher threshold. The first crack, in both bone and metal, is a hairline fracture. That's small. Keep applying pressure, that fracture snaps larger and becomes a fissure. All the way across! but still attached at some point, one side of the bone, or perhaps the back side of the blade. You can bend it, wiggle it, but it's still attached. That's not so small anymore, it's medium. Break it right off, that's the maximum damage you can do to that part of the bone/dagger. It's completely separated. 100%. This was my point.
Yes words matter and break and it's synonyms can mean broken in two(or more) pieces.
And let's do connect them properly. A severed finger's damage can be healed by a spell. But it can only me re-attached to the finger by a regeneration spell. An object isn't as valuable as flesh, so that's why the make whole spell is only level 2 and not on par with regeneration. Mending can repair damage to an object, but a severed object is beyond it's function. If the object was severed without reducing it's hp to zero, for RP/flavor, I'm absolutely cool with mending repairing that, because that doesn't break any other rules, and evokes the Rule of Cool home rule. If it is broken because of a successful sunder and it's hp's are reduced to zero. No.

Destroyed object's can't be repaired. That includes mending. Mending repairs. Pg. 166
"Damaged (but not destroyed) objects can be repaired with the Craft skill (see page 70)."
If it's destroyed, you can melt it down and make a new one. The weapon itself is ruined beyond repair.
That includes mending, not Mending. Nothing on those pages prevents the Mending spell from working. D&D is very much an exception based system. You can't do something until you get some ability that allows it, or you can do something until something prevents it. The sections you are referencing are purely mundane in nature. They do not cover magic.
Dragon magazine, I've never read it. So is that there that you quoted for a mending skill? or the spell? What does the spell there say? It may be that the description there is only referring to the skill with regards to pottery and glass, the spell still operates strictly as the spell describes.
It's a spell or ability(hard time remembering now) called Mending and it says that the only difference between it and the PHB Mending spell is that it can only work on ceramic and glass. Since the Dragon Magazine mending can put pieces back together and the ONLY difference between spells is what kind of objects it works on, the PHB version must also put pieces back together.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The problem is one of terminology (I seem to be saying this a lot tonight).

Broken, shattered, destroyed, ruined - in game parlance, do any of these have specific meanings?
No. Not in 3.5. They're just fluff words and not mechanical conditions. The different books and sections seem to use them interchangeably in some places, and definitely separately in others.

smuckenfart

Villager
I very much disagree with this. If I hold my hands close together, there is a space between those two things. They aren't broken, but you can in fact have space between two separate things. And yes, while it is a broken off piece from the original, they are also in fact two separate things with a space between them. They are now a hilt and a blade, not a dagger.
Good, so you agree that the space exists only so long as you create that space by holding the two pieces close together.

Use your logic to fill in the rest. A space in a dagger caused by a crack or fracture is always a space without any conditions, in fact you have to break it further in order to separate them into two, and breaking it further increases the size of the damage from small to medium to the largest that is total separation. That space between broken off pieces then only exists relative to a position that an outside force positions them.

I have a pen beside me. I remove the lid and place it beside the pen. There's a space because I placed it there. My girlfriend comes in and takes the pen into the kitchen to write something on the grocery list, but leaves the lid in my office. The space is not regarded as a space, or a gap, it's totally separated. It was actually always totally separated, but YOU created that space. You want to get technical by saying "any amount of distance between two objects is a space". Then it's a LARGE space, and does not conform to the qualification of "small" by the spell definition, and it is not a space independent of an outside force. A space is a gap is an opening, it must still be small without some arbitrary manipulation. ie. I'm holding them close together. To insist that it is, that's just refusing to acknowledge the truth of a valid point, which is belligerence and the pursuit of being right, not the pursuit of truth, which is the end of a healthy debate.

Because synonyms are not the word, they are only similar, yet different words. None of them need to imply separated in two. Further, some of them do imply or can mean separated into different pieces.
Correct, when you add meanings not intended for objects. There is a definition intended specifically for objects, so that is the only relevant one. Those synonyms are close in meaning, and English as a precise language has plenty of those, yet none of those synonyms for objects suggest broken off. Those are the words closest to the meaning of the root word and can be used to describe it. The author didn't choose those words because its not as succinct in meaning as "a break", because "a break" is a more broad term that could mean any one of those words, as we are about to see.

When looking at a dictionary/thesaurus, you choose the definition that best suits the context you wish to use it with. In this case objects:
gap, opening, space, hole, breach, chink, crack, fissure, cleft, rift, chasm, tear, split, slit, rent, rupture

Copied directly from the dictionary's list of synonyms for "break (n.)". What do they all have in common? Even if you delved into each one and found one instance that it could also mean broken off in some context, that would be cherry picking while ignoring all other evidence that contradicts that, which is not honest debate but gross manipulation. The clear-cut evidence is that a break is a gap/opening/space/hole/breach/chink/crack/fissure/cleft/rift/chasm/tear/split/slit/rent/rupture, and not an object broken further than that. And even then, it must be small. a small gap, a small opening, a small space, a small hole, you get the drift. Nobody seems to get that. Partially severed is the only way to make severed small, and partially severed is not completely separated, it's still attached.
Something is true until proven otherwise. You want to find that one synonym that includes an instance where a piece can be broken off, and that is proof enough to override the other 99.98% of evidence that says otherwise? I would wager that in that 0.02% shred of proof "broken off" is just one of the contexts, and the part where it says "broken into pieces, OR cracked, OR fractured" would intentionally not quoted because that would provide a means to dismantle the point by selecting the context that best suits the other examples and definition of the root word in question. I would like to think that my fellow dnders are fairly smart and above such tactics though.

But, the author didn't use that synonym he used another word, and the total accumulation of the definition of that word and all those synonyms, they all mean that there is no total separation. Common sense and an honest reflection would admit that if there were one instance in one of those synonyms that suggested it broken in pieces, that probably isn't what the authors intended, or they would have used that word specifically.

A clean break is an idiom with its own meaning, it is not an adjective like small, although people keep referencing it as though that proves that "a break" means a total separation. An idiom is a phrase with its own meaning, independent of its individual words. A clean break is a complete separation, and complete is not small, it's the largest separation you can get. You can argue against that, but I'm sorry you are wrong, this is my field, and I know this without a doubt.

You keep coming back to fingers, but you're comparing apples and oranges, because in D&D magic treats both differently. D&D is not the real world where if I lose a finger there's no priest at the local church that can cast regeneration for a fee.
Again, I'll repeat. I don't come back to fingers, that's not what's important. I'm coming back to the language we use to describe damage. My whole contest derives from the fact that I know what these words mean, and that people are saying that it does not mean that. Then they make points that, to me, either don't add up, can be refuted, or are missing the point, such as here, when you think I'm talking about fingers so the credibility to my argument is nil. I'm not talking about fingers. I'm talking about Language. The whole debate is over the language used.

The words we use have meaning, and they have equivalents. The object in question changes the language used to describe the damage, but the meaning "a small amount of damage" has equivalents regardless of the object, or its size. What is the equivalent of "a small tear" in a cloth for a shield? The equivalent damage would be a "small split". You wouldn't use the same language, it's a different material. Flesh is a material. What's the equivalent language of a "small split" for a wound? "Severed off!" EH? Sorry, actually a "small cut".
The language used to describe a break in a bone is exactly the same as the language used for a weapon. And in both, absolutely there are varying degrees evident by the word choice to describe that break. a small fracture, is used for bone and blade, and a large fracture can happen in a small bone or a small dagger. People trivialize the dagger because its intrinsic value isn't the same. I could refer to any material and the language would still have varying degrees of what constitutes small/medium/large. Severed/decapitated/cut off/broken in two, these are not small things. If measurement or length is the only factor to determine whether a break is small or not, as it often seems with regards to the slender dagger, then a severed finger is also a small break, but no one anywhere would say that. I cut my finger. That sucks. I cut my finger off. OMG! The length of the break relative to the size of the object matters, and a small object can have a small/medium/large damage. It's basic common sense. What can the mending spell mend? Put small in front of the descriptor and make sure it is defined as "a break". Not what you think a break is, what a break actually is.

That includes mending, not Mending. Nothing on those pages prevents the Mending spell from working. D&D is very much an exception based system. You can't do something until you get some ability that allows it, or you can do something until something prevents it. The sections you are referencing are purely mundane in nature. They do not cover magic.
Destroyed/ruined are the operatives words to describe those objects, and Mending the spell says it can only repair small breaks or tears. Those operatives words in no uncertain terms do not mean that that object has received a small tear or break. It is large enough damage to ruin it/destroy it, and mending such a thing contradicts this imperative.

It's a spell or ability(hard time remembering now) called Mending and it says that the only difference between it and the PHB Mending spell is that it can only work on ceramic and glass. Since the Dragon Magazine mending can put pieces back together and the ONLY difference between spells is what kind of objects it works on, the PHB version must also put pieces back together.
I think you're wrong, it does not mean it's exactly like the spell and there is no difference except that which is mentioned in the first part of the paragraph.
It says that it is like the spell, excluding any material save ceramic and glass. It then carries on to describe what the skill can do that is different than the aforementioned spell. If it were exactly like the spell, it would not provide any further context. This is evident in spells that have similar functions: Make Whole, Greater Invisibility, Invisibility Sphere.

I believe that I have provided ample evidence using samples from the books, the rules, relevant definitions, and demonstrated (in a previous post) where adhering to my thesis does not contradict anything in the rules, the dictionary, or the wording of the spell itself . The contradictions only begin when you change the definition of "a break" to mean that it can be separated into pieces.

But to get us back on track, this thread isn't about the Mending spell, this was used as one example where we made a reasonable amendment to a rule. I propose that if a group wants to mend a slender dagger broken in two because to them it's "just an inch", homerule it. The result is the same, except that you'd have to take the RAW meaning of Mending as being defined as I have described, which doesn't matter if you're going to change the rules anyways. Or don't.

Last edited:

SaltheartRPG

Villager
Rules v. Rulings is the age old RPG battle. It all comes down to can a player do something they want to do withing the rules and how to we arbitrate success. I prefer systems that leave flexibility and do not detail the rules on trip hazards and cooking injuries... that is too granular for me.
If you haven't done so yet, check out my BURN 2d6 system now on Kickstarter. This original indie game system is rules lite with innovative mechanics that favors rulings over rules.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Good, so you agree that the space exists only so long as you create that space by holding the two pieces close together.

Use your logic to fill in the rest. A space in a dagger caused by a crack or fracture is always a space without any conditions, in fact you have to break it further in order to separate them into two, and breaking it further increases the size of the damage from small to medium to the largest that is total separation. That space between broken off pieces then only exists relative to a position that an outside force positions them.

I have a pen beside me. I remove the lid and place it beside the pen. There's a space because I placed it there. My girlfriend comes in and takes the pen into the kitchen to write something on the grocery list, but leaves the lid in my office. The space is not regarded as a space, or a gap, it's totally separated. It was actually always totally separated, but YOU created that space. You want to get technical by saying "any amount of distance between two objects is a space". Then it's a LARGE space, and does not conform to the qualification of "small" by the spell definition, and it is not a space independent of an outside force. A space is a gap is an opening, it must still be small without some arbitrary manipulation. ie. I'm holding them close together.
Yes when you separate them enough they are two objects with no separation. That's irrelevant to whether or not when the two pieces of the dagger are close enough they are two pieces of the same object WITH a gap or separation. Nor is it relevant to the spell whether or not someone places those pieces close together. Manipulation is not forbidden by the spell, nor does it even make sense to forbid it.

The spell by intent and by language allows for Mending to repair objects that are completely broken, providing those objects and/or breaks are small. You are conflating complete with large, rather than looking at the size alone. The break is complete once that crack widens enough to become a separation, but it isn't large for the purposes and intent of the spell.
Correct, when you add meanings not intended for objects. There is a definition intended specifically for objects, so that is the only relevant one. Those synonyms are close in meaning, and English as a precise language has plenty of those, yet none of those synonyms for objects suggest broken off. Those are the words closest to the meaning of the root word and can be used to describe it. The author didn't choose those words because its not as succinct in meaning as "a break", because "a break" is a more broad term that could mean any one of those words, as we are about to see.

When looking at a dictionary/thesaurus, you choose the definition that best suits the context you wish to use it with. In this case objects:
gap, opening, space, hole, breach, chink, crack, fissure, cleft, rift, chasm, tear, split, slit, rent, rupture
How are you not doing the exact same thing in ignoring the definitions that refute you? There are in fact definitions that do apply to objects as I posted.

There can be a gap between two pieces of an object. A single object when broken in two has a discontinuation/discontinuity. There is an interval between the two pieces. I hadn't known what lacuna meant, but it fits as well. those qualify as a disruption to the uniformity or continuity of the object.

Then going to synonyms for gap or opening. A broken object can have space between the break that is total. The same for a gap. And you can split something in two. I mean, the last one is a classic example of a synonym that is often used for objects. "I split a log in two with my axe to make firewood."
Copied directly from the dictionary's list of synonyms for "break (n.)". What do they all have in common? Even if you delved into each one and found one instance that it could also mean broken off in some context, that would be cherry picking while ignoring all other evidence that contradicts that, which is not honest debate but gross manipulation.
Man, if it's a definition then it CAN apply to Mending. You just argued that if there are more definitions that don't apply objects, then none of the definitions that do apply to objects can ever apply to an object. Language doesn't work that way. All definitions are valid and on the table to be used.

I'm not the one cherry picking here. You are. You are deliberately excluding valid definitions for both break as a noun and it's synonyms that can(you'll see I say can, not do when I talk about this) apply to objects and therefore Mending.

Nothing in the wording of Mending excludes any of those definitions, but it does confine itself to objects, so definitions of break that don't apply to objects are out, and ones that do are in. That means that the ones you are cherry picking and mean cracks are in AND the ones that you are deliberately excluding that mean a complete break of the object are also in. I am including all of them which is the opposite of cherry picking.
But, the author didn't use that synonym he used another word, and the total accumulation of the definition of that word and all those synonyms, they all mean that there is no total separation. Common sense and an honest reflection would admit that if there were one instance in one of those synonyms that suggested it broken in pieces, that probably isn't what the authors intended, or they would have used that word specifically.
Again, English doesn't work that way. You don't get to unilaterally declare for the world that the definitions of break that apply to objects having complete separation are no longer valid just because there more definitions that don't involve total separation.
Again, I'll repeat. I don't come back to fingers, that's not what's important. I'm coming back to the language we use to describe damage.
Are you telling me that you haven't in your life ever heard people describe an object that is in pieces as "broken?" I have, and by an uncountable number of people. When I dropped a plastic cup a few weeks ago a piece of it broke off, I told my wife that I broke a cup. I didn't tell that I had cleanly broken a cup, because that would have been silly. Using the word "clean" when talking about breaks only applies to certain types of things and only at certain times. A bone would be one of those times and is not even used to describe all complete breaks of a bone. It is used to describe a complete break of a bone that causes no malalignment.
My whole contest derives from the fact that I know what these words mean, and that people are saying that it does not mean that. Then they make points that, to me, either don't add up, can be refuted, or are missing the point, such as here, when you think I'm talking about fingers so the credibility to my argument is nil. I'm not talking about fingers. I'm talking about Language. The whole debate is over the language used.
The bolded sentence is incorrect. Nobody is telling you that break doesn't mean a crack or fracture in an object. We are just not cherry picking only those definitions and excluding the ones that include complete breaks.
The words we use have meaning, and they have equivalents. The object in question changes the language used to describe the damage, but the meaning "a small amount of damage" has equivalents regardless of the object, or its size. What is the equivalent of "a small tear" in a cloth for a shield? The equivalent damage would be a "small split". You wouldn't use the same language, it's a different material. Flesh is a material. What's the equivalent language of a "small split" for a wound? "Severed off!" EH? Sorry, actually a "small cut".
Nothing in the spell says a small amount of damage. Literally nothing. Only that the measurable size of the break be small, which a complete break of a slender dagger is. You keep talking about language used, but ignore the deliberately used language of "slender." There's a reason why they say slender dagger and not dagger. It's because a small break size is purely measurable in length/depth and has nothing to do with whether it is partial or complete. There is a reason that the objects described in their language are all very small.

You have also brought up Make Whole as evidence that Mending doesn't fix complete breaks. That is not logically sound. Yes it's a level 2 spell which makes it more powerful, but it describes in what way it is more powerful than mending. Mending only affects an object that weighs 1 pound or less(again, must be small) and only fixes a single break(partial or complete). Make Whole on the other hand affects an object that is up to 10 cubic feet per level of the spellcaster, so a 10th level caster could affect a single object that is 100 cubic feet in size and has no limit to the weight at all. Further it fixes multiple breaks in that object. So while I could mend a broken statuette with a single break with the Mending spell, with Make Whole I could repair a completely shattered Michelangelo's David if I were 20th level.
Destroyed/ruined are the operatives words to describe those objects, and Mending the spell says it can only repair small breaks or tears. Those operatives words in no uncertain terms do not mean that that object has received a small tear or break. It is large enough damage to ruin it/destroy it, and mending such a thing contradicts this imperative.
Destroyed and ruined in D&D terms simply mean unusable for it's function. That's it. It doesn't mean annihilated. It doesn't mean shattered into 100 pieces. Those words just mean unusable for it's purpose, which a slender dagger broken into two pieces is.
I think you're wrong, it does not mean it's exactly like the spell and there is no difference except that which is mentioned in the first part of the paragraph.
It says that it is like the spell, excluding any material save ceramic and glass. It then carries on to describe what the skill can do that is different than the aforementioned spell. If it were exactly like the spell, it would not provide any further context. This is evident in spells that have similar functions: Make Whole, Greater Invisibility, Invisibility Sphere.
These are the guys who made the spell. And it literally says that the only difference is the materials it can be used on(i.e. no metal). You keep arguing that words mean things and here you are ignoring the meanings of the words used.

"Mending will only work on pottery and glass; otherwise it is identical to the magic-user spell. A piece broken into a number of pieces (not fragmented to shards or dust) can be put back together."

The logical conclusion is that the magic user spell allows pieces to be welded back together.
But to get us back on track, this thread isn't about the Mending spell, this was used as one example where we made a reasonable amendment to a rule. I propose that if a group wants to mend a slender dagger broken in two because to them it's "just an inch", homerule it. The result is the same, except that you'd have to take the RAW meaning of Mending as being defined as I have described, which doesn't matter if you're going to change the rules anyways. Or don't.
And I agree with that in principal. Except for the part where we would need to homebrew it working on the dagger ;)

I have used house rules for every edition of the game except 4th since I did not play that edition. So long as the group is having fun, nothing else really matters, including not allowing Mending to work on complete breaks. :)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Is there a spell that can mend my broken mind after having read several pages of posts going into detailed analysis of broken slender daggers?

I don't think my mind is ruined, just a small break in my psyche. My psychiatrist isn't high enough level to cast greater restoration. I was hoping I could go to an alternative medicine provider for a simple cantrip that could fix me up.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Is there a spell that can mend my broken mind after having read several pages of posts going into detailed analysis of broken slender daggers?

I don't think my mind is ruined, just a small break in my psyche. My psychiatrist isn't high enough level to cast greater restoration. I was hoping I could go to an alternative medicine provider for a simple cantrip that could fix me up.
I miss the days when Heal cured insanity.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
You mean it doesn't now?
Well according to my PHB, just blindness, deafness, and disease. Now I know what you might be thinking "but wait James, isn't insanity a mental disease?", to which I reply, well, according to that book nobody reads:

"A calm emotions spell can suppress the effects of madness, while a lesser restoration can rid a character of short-term or long-term madness. Depending on the source of the madness, remove curse or dispel evil might also prove effective. A greater restoration or more powerful magic is required to rid a character of indefinite madness".

Remove ads