• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Clarification (nitpick)

Yanomahir

First Post
So I'm currently GMing a game, and am extremely comfortable with the 4th edition ruleset. This past week a player corrected me on a rule.

Not a big deal, as it's common for players to point things out to GMs in our group. I did promise him that I would research his contention. (despite ruling against him)

The question is this: does the effect line in powers occur after the power is resolved? (hit/miss/damage)

e.g. -- does the +2 damage bonus granted from Aspect of Might (avenger daily 1) give the attack itself an extra 2 damage if you hit?

Flipguarder

First Post
I'm 100% it doesn't. And I have 100% no idea how I know that so assuredly.

EDIT: But logically if I was wrong any melee attack that has an effect that pushes would miss.

HenryBlatbugIII

First Post
You follow the 'attack' and 'effect' lines in the order they appear in the power description. Most powers (like Aspect of Might) have the effect occur after the attack is resolved, but a few (such as Stop Thrust (Fighter Daily 9, Martial Power)) have the effect before the attack.

Mirtek

Hero
Effects resolve at the same order that they're printed in the power. If an effect is printed before the attack line it happens before the attack roll. If it's printed before the hit part, it happens before the hit is resolved. If it's printed before the miss part, it happens before the miss is resolved. If it's printed at the end of the power, as in the case of Aspect of Might, it happens after everything else is resolved. So an avenger does not already get the effect of an Aspect of Might hit for the aspect of might power itself

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
e.g. -- does the +2 damage bonus granted from Aspect of Might (avenger daily 1) give the attack itself an extra 2 damage if you hit?
It doesn't. Powers resolve in the order in which they're listed, so the Effect in this case happens after the damage occurs.

To prove this, take a look at "Fleeting Spirit Strike" in MP2 (or the Compendium) for an example of an Effect that occurs before the attack.

Yanomahir

First Post
Thanks for the overwhelmingly swift response!

I'll be confident of ruling this way in the future, and I appreciate the explanation, rather than "that's wrong." The references to other powers is quite helpful. =)

abyssaldeath

First Post
Thanks for the overwhelmingly swift response!

I'll be confident of ruling this way in the future, and I appreciate the explanation, rather than "that's wrong." The references to other powers is quite helpful. =)

Here's another reference for ya.

PHB2 218 The Power Format said:
Sequence: The order of information in a power
description is a general guide to the sequence in
which the power’s various effects occur. For example,
an “Effect” entry might appear above attack information
in a power description to indicate that something
happens before you make the attack.

Remove ads