• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Compendium anti magic field example

eamon

Explorer
What's the point of origin of an orb of acid? The caster? The target?

It's still somewhat odd...

Orb of acid says:

"An orb of acid about 3 inches across shoots from your palm at its target, dealing 1d6 points of acid damage per caster level (maximum 15d6)."

So, if the target is the "point of origin", then you can't cast orb of acid inside an amf, nor can you (usefully) target a creature inside the AMF - but you can target someone on the other side of an AMF. According to the spell description we've then caused an acid blob to fly from your fingertips through the AMF (but if it stops there then it has no effect), to hit the target outside the AMF (for full effect).

Rambling aside, I guess this just means that the point of origin for such attacks must be your fingertips - meaning that you can target a creature inside an AMF after all.

right?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
eamon said:
Rambling aside, I guess this just means that the point of origin for such attacks must be your fingertips - meaning that you can target a creature inside an AMF after all.

Right. By the time it leaves your hand, it's no longer magical, per the rules of instantaneous creations, so the AMF has no effect on it.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
frankthedm said:
No more than any other non magical water. However the function of the Create Water spell now can no longer bring the water into being into the AMF.

Oh, I agree. And neither can Orb of Acid bring an orb of acid into being in the AMF. But it can bring it into being at your fingertips outside the AMF - where upon the no-longer-dependent-on-magic-for-its-existence orb of acid can travel into the AMF unhindered.

-Hyp.

cheshire_grin

First Post
Ah, but one more quirk:

The now-entirely-nonmagical orb of acid's method of flight and ability to target still depend on magic, right? (I've not seen many orbs of acid just fly around and target things on their own, after all.)

Wouldn't the AMF suppress these portions of the spell? So you could conjure the orb, and bringing the orb into the AMF wouldn't affect it, but you couldn't target anything inside the AMF?

darthkilmor

First Post
cheshire_grin said:
Ah, but one more quirk:

The now-entirely-nonmagical orb of acid's method of flight and ability to target still depend on magic, right? (I've not seen many orbs of acid just fly around and target things on their own, after all.)

Wouldn't the AMF suppress these portions of the spell? So you could conjure the orb, and bringing the orb into the AMF wouldn't affect it, but you couldn't target anything inside the AMF?

Isn't that assuming magic is guiding the orb, and not simply that you throw it at the target similar to throwing a rock or baseball or whatever? AMF shouldn't kill whatever velocity the orb of acid has.

cheshire_grin

First Post
darthkilmor said:
Isn't that assuming magic is guiding the orb, and not simply that you throw it at the target similar to throwing a rock or baseball or whatever? AMF shouldn't kill whatever velocity the orb of acid has.
The spell text states that it "shoots" from your palm, not that you throw it. Nonetheless I could see that being the case, that it follows a ballistic flight path like a crossbow bolt and magic is only required to give it its initial speed/direction.

Assuming the spell requires an attack roll, I guess it would work into an AMF; if it's auto-hit, though, I would still think the AMF would suppress the spell's ability to target.

frankthedm

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
the no-longer-dependent-on-magic-for-its-existence orb of acid
An uncontained orb of liquid or energy that retains it's shape in flight, propulsed by no physical force, accuracy unaffected by distance as all mundane ranged attacks are but still limited to range that only applies to magic sure sounds like magic still has it's hand in it.

darthkilmor

First Post
frankthedm said:
An uncontained orb of liquid or energy that retains it's shape in flight, propulsed by no physical force, accuracy unaffected by distance as all mundane ranged attacks are but still limited to range that only applies to magic sure sounds like magic still has it's hand in it.

If its a highly viscous liquid it could maintain its shape then it should be fine ya ?
Maybe its got a thin layer of acid-proof saran-wrap holding it together :eek:

Even at 20th level the range is only 75 feet.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
cheshire_grin said:
Assuming the spell requires an attack roll, I guess it would work into an AMF; if it's auto-hit, though, I would still think the AMF would suppress the spell's ability to target.

Ranged touch attack.

frankthedm said:

Instantaneous conjuration.

-Hyp.

Remove ads