• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Compendium!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm really looking forward to the Rules Compendium. Not so much the presentation of the rules, but the discussion of why they're there and how they've changed. That is what I really want to see.

Cheers!

Xyanthon

First Post
I'm pretty optomistic about this one. I'm of the same mind as Merric on this one. I think the rules discussions would be pretty interesting stuff. However, I tend to like that sort of behind the scenes stuff.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
I think it's sad, actually, that there has to be a rules compendium. It strikes me that that's what the DMG should be.

I get what they're doing, and it would probably, from an academic point of view, be an interesting read.

Dave

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Vrecknidj said:
I think it's sad, actually, that there has to be a rules compendium. It strikes me that that's what the DMG should be.

The DMG *is* that. However, the game has seen 4 further years of development since 3.5e was released. So, either a new DMG (which already has problems with fitting everything in), or a Rules Compendium that can go into more depth with the rules.

Cheers!

Sammael

Adventurer
I honestly think that spells and magic items should be in a separate rulebook (Core Rulebook IV), providing at the same a handy reference manual, as well as leaving more space in the PH and DMG for additional rules and clarifications. But the game is pretty expensive to get into as it is, so I doubt they'll ever go that route.

Dire Bare

Legend
Deset Gled said:
Call me a cynic, but I thought the SRD was supposed to be the rules compendium.

Cynic? How about just wrong, where'd you get that idea? The SRD is certainly not intended to be a rules compendium! It's there for publishers to use in creating d20 products compatible with and that support the D&D (and d20 Modern) rules. That's it. While it can certainly be used in a game in lieu of the three core books (mostly), that's never been the intent.

I highly doubt the upcoming Rules Compendium will be a simple reprint of the D&D rules found in the core rulebooks, that'd be somewhat redundant. More likely it will take key rules that are problematic (example: grappling) from all three core books and possibly beyond, and putting them into an easier to read, understand and find format . . . with "DVD commentary" to boot.

My assumption is that I'll what the big three core books to prepare for my game, either as a player or DM. Then, at the game, I'll just need the Rules Compendium. That sounds cool to me.

Dire Bare

Legend
brehobit said:
Allow me to be the first (I think) to predict that there will be a fair bit of errata issued via the rules compendium. Including "core" errata not otherwise published on-line.

Call me a pessimist.
Mark

You're a pessimist. :p

Dire Bare said:
My assumption is that I'll what the big three core books to prepare for my game, either as a player or DM. Then, at the game, I'll just need the Rules Compendium. That sounds cool to me.

I thought that's what it might be at first, but, from what I have read about the product so far this scenario seems very unlikely.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads