• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Compendium

GuJiaXian

Explorer
Simply put, is the book worth it? I have a fair number of early 4E books (I haven't actively played in quite a while), but I own none of the Essentials stuff. I know a lot of rules have been reworked, like stealth, skill encounters (or whatever they're called), and such. Having all the "up-to-date" rules in one place appeals to me.

Also, is Primal Power worth it? Thanks.

IanB

First Post
Rules Compendium is absolutely worth it. It has shortened the time-to-a-rules-answer when something comes up at our table considerably. Plus it almost always has an answer, which is also great.

Aulirophile

First Post
I prefer laptop+DDI, but absent that: Yes, RC is definitely worth it.

None of the splat books are really worth it imo. DDI+Forums covers all the information better.

GuJiaXian

Explorer
I appreciate the (speedy) feedback. I used to be a DDI subscriber (for many years). I just decided that I wasn't getting my money's worth. Anyway, not to derail my own thread, I'll think about Primal Power (the idea of a swarm druid appeals to me) and definitely get RC.

IanB

First Post
I prefer laptop+DDI, but absent that: Yes, RC is definitely worth it.

None of the splat books are really worth it imo. DDI+Forums covers all the information better.

The DDI glossary at least is not as up to date on some rules as the RC, as I learned in another thread.

the Jester

Legend
Rules Compendium: Yes, worth it.

Primal Power: Uhh, I think so, but I don't actually have it- it's the one Power book I haven't gotten yet (when I went to do so it was not on the shelf; subsequently I was more attracted to MP2 and PsiP).

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Another "Yes" vote for the Rules Compendium.

For Primal Power, I would say it's worth it if you are playing one of the classes included. Otherwise, it's not necessary IMHO. B-)

Incenjucar

Legend
RC is definitely worth having. Not a fan of the format, but it's a solid book just the same.

Primal Power is interesting, but obviously only if you plan on making primal characters of primal spirits part of your game.

Remove ads