• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Rules] Condition, a little aid needed.

Clay_More

First Post
I basically wanted to "streamline" some of the conditions a character can suffer from in D20 to make more sense and be more systematic. I also wanted to add a few conditions which could be available as effects to use for spells, weapons, monsters, etc. I really would love some feedback on these, suggestions for effects, suggestions for names, maybe suggestions for additional conditions if I've missed any significant ones. I did consider a "Bewildered" condition leading to Confused.

Virtually all the Conditions are from the original rules, with some extrapolation having taken place.

Conditions
A Condition is a debuff applied to a creature due to an attack or an environmental effect. All Conditions have three levels of severity. The way most Conditions operate is that if you are exposed to a Condition, you will suffer the negative side-effects of the first level of the Condition for five rounds, after which the Condition will expire. If you are exposed to the Condition again, its severity will increase to the second level and the duration will be reset to five rounds. After five rounds, the severity of the Condition will go from second level to first and five rounds later it will expire completely. If you are suffering from the Condition on second level and become exposed again, it increases to third level, and again the duration is reset to five rounds.
Some Conditions operate somewhat differently from the rules above, but if not written otherwise, those are the rules by which the Conditions function.

The following is a list of the Conditions from which a character can suffer:

Bleeding
Dazzled
Dehydrated
Drunk
Fatigued
Frozen
Hindered
Shaken
Sleepy
Staggered
Starved
Queasy

Bleeding
Bleeding is a Condition commonly caused by weapons made especially to cause the effect.
Immunity: Creatures without blood (constructs and undead) as well as any creature with any amount of Fast Healing or Regeneration.
Cure: Bleeding can be stopped by a Heal check (DC 10 for level 1, DC 15 for level 2 and DC 20 for level 3).

1 - Bleeding: Causes 1d4 points of damage per turn, may contact Filth Fever in an unsanitary environment.
2 - Heavy Bleeding: Causes 2d4 points of damage per turn, may contact Filth Fever in an unsanitary environment.
3 - Severe Bleeding: Causes 3d4 points of damage per turn, may contact Filth Fever in an unsanitary environment.

Dazzled
Dazzled is a Condition in which a creature has its visual organs impaired by a sudden burst of light.
Immunity: Creatures without a sense of sight as well as constructs and undead.
Cure: No non-magical cure.

1 - Dazzled: -1 penalty to attack rolls, search and spot checks.
2 - Glared-Out: -2 penalty to attack rolls, search and spot checks. -4 penalty to ranged attacks.
3 - Blinded: No sight, -2 penalty to Armor Class, no Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, movement reduced to half, -4 penalty to search checks and most Strength or Dexterity based skill checks. All checks relying on vision automatically fail (such as Spot). All enemies are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance).

Dehydrated
Dehydrated is a Condition in which a creature is debilitated from a lack of water. Dehydration will occur when a creature doesn't drink for a number of hours equal to its Constitution score. Resting, travelling on mount or cart or other non-strenous activities will double the period of time before a creature gets dehydrated. Being in a very hot environment will halve the period of time before a creature gets dehydrated.
Immunity: Constructs and undead are immune, some creatures used to living in arid conditions might have resistance to dehydration (resistance ranges from doubling the creatures effective Constitution score to increasing it tenfold, for the purpose of this Condition. Vermin will always double their Constitution score as a minimum).
Cure: Drinking a significant amount of water will cure dehydration. After a sufficient amount of water has been consumed it will take one hour for the Condition to decrease in severity by one level.

1 - Dehydrated: -2 penalty to Constitution, Dexterity and Strength.
2 - Parched: -4 penalty to Constitution, Dexterity and Strength, -2 penalty to Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma, movement speed reduced by 25%, can not charge or run.
3 - Dessicated: -6 penalty to Constitution, Dexterity and Strength, -4 penalty to Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma, movement speed reduced by 50%, can not charge or run, 1d6 points of damage every hour.

Drunk
Drunk is a Condition in which a creature has consumed a significant amount of alcohol. Drunk will occur when a creature has consumed a number of light alcoholic beverages equal to its Constitution score, beverages such as weak ale or beer. A normal cup of ale or beer counts as two beverages. Naturally, more potent beverages may count as multiple beverages for the sake of this Condition. It takes six hours minus the affected creature's Constitution modifier to reduce the level of this Condition by one, during which no alcoholic beverages may be consumed. It can never take less than one hours for the Condition to decrease in level.
Immunity: Creatures who do not drink liquids are immune to this Condition. Some creatures may have racial resistances (such as typical fantasy dwarves).
Cure: Purging will reduce the Drunk level by one. It counts as a full round action to purge yourself and it is only possibly to reduce your level of Drunk by one in a 24-hour period. Effects which remove poisoning will reduce the Drunk level by one.

1 - Tipsy: -2 penalty to Dexterity, -2 penalty to all skills with Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma as key ability, +1 bonus to Concentration checks
2 - Drunk: -4 penalty to Dexterity, -4 penalty to all skills with Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma as key ability, -1 penalty to attack rolls, +2 bonus to Concentration checks
3 - Intoxicated: -6 penalty to Dexterity, -6 penalty to all skills with Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma as key ability, -4 penalty to attack rolls, Dehydrated

Fatigued
Fatigued is a Condition in which a creature has weakened by a prolonged period of heavy, physical exertion. It takes six hours minus the affected creature's Constitution modifier to reduce the level of this Condition by one, during which no strenous activity may be performed. It can never take less than one hours for the Condition to decrease in level.
Immunity: All creatures without a Constitution score are automatically immune to this Condition, as are elementals.
Cure: No non-magical cure besides rest. Some stimulants exist that can temporarily negate the hindrances of the Condition. A Barbarian in a rage temporarily negates the effects of Fatigued and Exhausted. A Barbarian can not rage if he is Lethargic.

1 - Fatigued: -2 penalty to Dexterity and Strength, a Fatigued character can not run or charge.
2 - Lethargic: -4 penalty to Dexterity and Strength, an Exhausted character moves at half speed and can not run or charge.
3 - Exhausted: -8 penalty to Dexterity and Strength, a Lethargic character can not move.

Frozen
Frozen is a Condition in which a creature has been exposed to cold conditions, either by rapid exposure to extreme cold or by extended exposure to normal cold.
Immunity: All creatures with a physical form are vulnerable to the Frozen Condition.

1 - Slowed: -2 penalty to Dexterity, movement reduced by 10 ft.
2 - Frozen: -4 penalty to Dexterity, movement reduced by 50%.
3 - Crystallized: No Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, creature incapable of performing any actions except mental action, creature suffers double damage from all blunt weapons.

Hindered
Hindered is a Condition in which a creature its movement impaired by terrain. Hindered is permanent as long as the creature is within the area that causes the effect. The Condition ends as soon as the creature exits the area that causes the Condition.
Immunity: All creatures with a physical form are vulnerable to the Impaired Condition. Flying creatures are usually immune unless the effect extends to their altitude.
Cure: No non-magical cure. Some Hindered Conditions allow for a Strength check to ignore them or break free.

1 - Hindered: Movement reduced by 10 ft, -2 penalty to all skill checks which include movement (such as Tumble, Ride and Swim)
2 - Entangled: Movement reduced by 50%, -4 penalty to all skill checks which include movement (such as Tumble, Ride and Swim)
3 - Trapped: No movement possible, -2 penalty to Armor Class, -8 penalty to all skill checks which include movement (such as Tumble, Ride and Swim)

Shaken
Shaken is a Condition in which a creature has been intimidated or shocked by another creature or a supernatural effect.
Immunity: Creatures without an Intelligence score are immune to the Shaken Condition. The Condition is considered a mind-affecting Condition.

1 - Shaken: –2 penalty on Attack Rolls, Saving Throws, Skill checks, and Ability checks.
2 - Frightened: -3 penalty on Attack Rolls, Saving Throws, Skill checks and Ability checks. Creature can not receive any Morale bonuses.
3 - Panicked: -4 penalty on Attack Rolls, Saving Throws, Skill checks and Ability checks. Creature can not receive any Morale bonuses. Creatures drops any equipped objects and flees at highest possible rate of movement away from the source of the Condition.

Sleepy
Sleepy is a Condition that occurs when a creature has been derived of sleep for a prolonged period of time. 24 hours without sleep will increase the severity of this Condition by one level.
Immunity: Creatures without an Intelligence score, constructs, undead and elementals, are all immune to the Sleepy Condition. Many Outsiders, all Vermin and Plant creatures are also immune.
Cure: 6 hours of sleep will reduce the severity of this Condition by one level.

1 - Drowsy: -1 penalty on Attack Rolls, -2 penalty to Listen, Search and Spot checks.
2 - Sleepy: -2 penalty on Attack Rolls, -4 penalty to Listen, Search and Spot checks.
3 - Delirious: -4 penalty on Attack Rolls, -6 penalty to Listen, Search and Spot checks. Movement reduced by 50%. -2 penalty to all Will Saving Throws. Creature also becomes Fatigued.

Staggered
Staggered is a Condition in which a creature has suffered significant trauma to the head or severe trauma to the body as a whole.
Immunity: Creatures without Constitution score or Intelligence score are immune to this Condition. Vermin and Plant creatures are also immune.

1 - Staggered: Can only take a single move action or standard action each round.
2 - Dazed: Can't take any actions, suffers no penalty to Armor Class.
3 - Stunned: Drops everything held, can't take any actions, -2 penalty to Armor Class, no Dexterity bonus to Armor Class.

Starved
Starved is a Condition in which a creature has been deprived of food for a prolonged period of time. If a creature is in an environment with no supply of food or water, the Dehydrated Condition will usually take effect sooner and with greater impact than Starved. If a number of days equal to the creature's Constitution score is spent without eating, the severity of the Condition will increase by one level.
Immunity: Creatures without Constitution score and any creature that doesn't eat is immune to Starved.
Cure: Eating a significant amount of food will cure Starved. After a sufficient amount of food has been consumed it will take six hour for the Condition to decrease in severity by one level.

1 - Hungry: -2 penalty to Constitution, -2 penalty to Fortitude Saving Throws.
2 - Starved: -4 penalty to Constitution, -4 penalty to Fortitude Saving Throws, -2 penalty to Dexterity, movement reduced by 10 ft, no natural healing.
3 - Famished: -6 penalty to Constitution, -6 penalty to Fortitude Saving Throws, -4 penalty to Dexterity, movement reduced by 50%, no natural healing, suffers 1d6 points of damage every day.

Queasy
Queasy is a Condition that occurs when a creature either sees something revolting or is exposed to an especially foul smell. Queasy can also occur from being exposed to strong, sonic vibrations.
Immunity: Creatures without Constitution score as well as Vermin and Plant creatures are immune to this Condition. Most Outsiders are also immune.

1 - Queasy: -1 penalty on Attack Rolls, Weapon Damage Rolls, Saving Throws, Skill checks and Ability checks.
2 - Sickened: -2 penalty on Attack Rolls, Weapon Damage Rolls, Saving Throws, Skill checks and Ability checks.
3 - Nauseated: Unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. Can only perform a single move action in a round.

Last edited:

Kerrick

First Post
I keep meaning to post, but I keep forgetting. Anyway...

I don't realy see the need for extra conditions for hot, cold, thirsty, and hungry - those things come up so seldom that there's no real point.

Lethargic should come before exhausted.

Dazed should be included in the staggered tree.

Clay_More

First Post
Hiya Kerrick! Good to see you're still around, actually been reading up on your Monk thread, never had anything to comment on it, but its good stuff.

I don't realy see the need for extra conditions for hot, cold, thirsty, and hungry - those things come up so seldom that there's no real point.

There's actually rules for thirst / hunger already in the core books already, I just wanted to elaborate a little bit, thought it would fit in with the other conditions. But yeah, their use is kinda conditional.

As for cold (haven't done heat, but been considering it), its mainly because of something I intend to do a bit later that I included it. Would like to use some of these conditions to add flavor to casters specialized in one element, but adding the Freezing conditions to some Cold spells, Staggered / Stunned to Electricity spells, and a Burning condition to Fire spells.

Lethargic should come before exhausted.

Good point, I'll switch those two around.

Dazed should be included in the staggered tree.

Another really good point, I'll put Dazed in instead of Unconscious so that you have all three standard DMG Conditions in that "tree", Staggered, Stunned and Dazed. As you might have noticed, a really lot of the conditions are already in the core books, I just tried to make them streamlined and to interact in a logical way, primarily to make it simpler instead of more complex (even though it might not initially seem that way).

Kerrick

First Post
Hiya Kerrick! Good to see you're still around, actually been reading up on your Monk thread, never had anything to comment on it, but its good stuff.
I've been working on a 3.75(ish) revision; the monk is part of that.

There's actually rules for thirst / hunger already in the core books already, I just wanted to elaborate a little bit, thought it would fit in with the other conditions. But yeah, their use is kinda conditional.
Yeah, I know they're in there - you become fatigued or exhausted. Since those conditions (hunger and thirst) come up so seldom, I have no problem with assigning fatigued/exhausted to them (and it does make some sense); adding more conditions just makes more things to keep track of.

As for cold (haven't done heat, but been considering it), its mainly because of something I intend to do a bit later that I included it. Would like to use some of these conditions to add flavor to casters specialized in one element, but adding the Freezing conditions to some Cold spells, Staggered / Stunned to Electricity spells, and a Burning condition to Fire spells.
I'm thinking of doing something similar. I was batting around the idea of the "burst" weapon properties (the ones that currently do +1d10 damage) dealing +1d6 and a condition, like flaming burst setting the target on fire, or the shocking burst dazing the target for a couple rounds, but it might be a bit overpowered.

Another really good point, I'll put Dazed in instead of Unconscious so that you have all three standard DMG Conditions in that "tree", Staggered, Stunned and Dazed.
It should probably go Dazed, Staggered, Stunned - dazed is a condition that can be rendered with a 0-level spell. Although, dazed and staggered need to be revised since the former is "can't take any actions" and the latter is "can only take one move or standard action a round". Stunned is stupidly overpowered, especially compared to those two. I think I'd change them all to:

Dazed: The creature can take only a single move or standard action each round.

Staggered: The creature is unable to take any actions and suffers a -2 penalty to AC, but is not considered flat-footed.

Stunned: The creature is unable to take any actions and suffers a -4 penalty to AC. It has a 50% chance to drop anything held.

(I changed flat-footed to a flat -4 penalty to AC instead of "lose your Dex bonus", so that's the reason stunned is like it is.)

As you might have noticed, a really lot of the conditions are already in the core books, I just tried to make them streamlined and to interact in a logical way, primarily to make it simpler instead of more complex (even though it might not initially seem that way).
Oh, I know they are, and making them into progressions is a good idea - it helps clean things up and makes more sense. OTOH, you don't have to make everything a three-step progression - you're just adding a bunch of conditions that will rarely, if ever, come into play.

Clay_More

First Post
Hiya Kerrick!

Two unrelated things, what keeping everyone away from the old Brood channel? And did you make the Cannibal Mage? (been looking over the Phoenix wiki quite a bit, might snag some stuff for my own setting!)

I like your vision of the Dazed-Staggered-Stunned Conditions, I'll snag that and add it in when I revise a little bit later tonight.

And yeah, I think that there might be some of the conditions that never see much play, even though I intend to use quite a bit of them as effects for certain type of spells. As you mentioned, Dazed etc for Lighting, Cold for Cold spells, Queasy and Fatigued for some Necromancy spells (and thinking about enabling Necromancers to create permanent wards that hasten the speed by which you suffer from Dehydration and Starvation).

The only one that might not really see much use is Sleepy (I initially used a somewhat similar condition in the old days when my players had the habit of not sleeping during the night, just keeping watch instead, to give it a disadvantage. But it probably comes up so rarely that you can just use exhausted).

Kerrick

First Post
Two unrelated things, what keeping everyone away from the old Brood channel?
Beats me. Probably lack of activity.

And did you make the Cannibal Mage? (been looking over the Phoenix wiki quite a bit, might snag some stuff for my own setting!)
Yeah, it's over here.

As you mentioned, Dazed etc for Lighting, Cold for Cold spells, Queasy and Fatigued for some Necromancy spells (and thinking about enabling Necromancers to create permanent wards that hasten the speed by which you suffer from Dehydration and Starvation).
That sounds interesting. Field of dehydration? :)

I linked to my revised Conditions doc in Scurvy's conditions thread; it's still a work in progress, which is why I'm taking such an interest in this and the other thread.

Remove ads