• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Discussion Touch Spells/Stacking/Duration for a Duskblade

CTSparky

Explorer
Ok guys it is time for a new question for your overall opinion and advice.

I have a 5 Duskblade/ 1 Fighter character.
I use the character as a glass cannon; able to deal huge amounts of damage out in a single shot.
The character wields a Greatsword.
Str: 16
Other base info:
Feats Power Attack, Leap of the Heavans, Leap Attack, Sudden Extend

What my intent with the character was to do the following:
Round 1 Cast Blade of Blood (Swift) and True Strike
Round 2 Cast Shocking Grasp (As my 1/day QC) and charge and when hit use arcane channeling
With the total combination I would be striking at +25 to hit and total damage would be 10d6 +22 (with power attack at max and charging) I also would need to make a jump check and be at least 10 ft away (if I am correct)

When I did this my DM prevented me from casting the shocking grasp. He said that I could only hold one touch spell up at any time.
He also said that the touch spell if it were Shocking Grasp would last until dispelled or dropped since it was an instantaneous spell.

I argued that the way I wanted to do it that Blade of blood was a spell applied to the blade of the weapon (But it is not an enchantment spell).

How would you rule the stacking of spells and the charge?

Would you add a round length to these instantaneous spells so that they don't last forever?

What other advise would you give?

As it was at the time I did this I one shotted the lesser BBEG.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
CTSparky said:
Round 1 Cast Blade of Blood (Swift) and True Strike
Round 2 Cast Shocking Grasp (As my 1/day QC) and charge and when hit use arcane channeling
You could have just charged last round (with Blade of Blood active) and then Arcane Channeled in round 2. Even if you miss, you lose nothing.

CTSparky said:
When I did this my DM prevented me from casting the shocking grasp. He said that I could only hold one touch spell up at any time.
You could cast Blade of Blood and use Arcane Channeling to cast Shocking Grasp in a single round, because Blade of Blood is not a Range: Touch spell with a held charge. It applies to a weapon, which you presumably were already touching in round 1. So you touch the weapon, Blade of Blood takes effect, and is no longer "held".

Your better strategy is:

Round 1 - Blade of Blood (swift), charge
Round 2 - QC True Strike (swift), Arcane Channeling (Shocking Grasp) + full Power Attack

It's not like you need the +2 from charging once you have True Strike up.

Cheers, -- N

Aidan Milvus

First Post
Ok, your DM was correct, but not for the reason he gave. You could have done all that you wanted, but the shocking grasp would have been discharged harmlessly when you gripped your greatsword to attack with it. You only get that damage when you arcane channel the spell through your sword, which you can't do in combination with a charge. Arcane channeling isn't just an attack, its a standard action to use. Charging is a full-round action, while arcane channel is a standard action. You can't combine the two.

But like Nifft said, you could that combo, or what I usually do with the Duskblades I've played is swift cast BoB, then Arcane channel Shocking Grasp and power attack. +8d6 is a really nice damage boost all on its own.

CTSparky

Explorer
Aidan Milvus said:
Ok, your DM was correct, but not for the reason he gave. You could have done all that you wanted, but the shocking grasp would have been discharged harmlessly when you gripped your greatsword to attack with it. You only get that damage when you arcane channel the spell through your sword, which you can't do in combination with a charge. Arcane channeling isn't just an attack, its a standard action to use. Charging is a full-round action, while arcane channel is a standard action. You can't combine the two.

But like Nifft said, you could that combo, or what I usually do with the Duskblades I've played is swift cast BoB, then Arcane channel Shocking Grasp and power attack. +8d6 is a really nice damage boost all on its own.

Well one issue is that my DM says that Blade of Blood and shocking grasp can not be combined, since according to him you can not have 2 touch spells active.

I was playing arcane channeling incorrectly tho. I now see it as a standard action, so that I can not charge with it.

Now what happens if I miss with an arcane channeled attack? Is the spell dispelled harmlessly? Is this also how it works for someone doing a regular touch spell?

Elethiomel

First Post
CTSparky said:
Well one issue is that my DM says that Blade of Blood and shocking grasp can not be combined, since according to him you can not have 2 touch spells active.
That's too bad, since Blade of Blood isn't a touch spell.

CTSparky said:
Now what happens if I miss with an arcane channeled attack? Is the spell dispelled harmlessly? Is this also how it works for someone doing a regular touch spell?
With a regular touch attack the charge is held until you hit with an attack or scratch your nose.

Elethiomel

First Post
Nifft said:
Yes, it is. It's just not a Touch spell that needs to be "held" and "delivered".

Cheers, -- N
Sorry, that's what I meant - it targets a touched weapon rather than turning into a "touch attack".

Remove ads