• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules for creating spells . . .

BrotherD

First Post
I'm about to start a new campaign with my group, and I've got a player who's VERY interested in creating his own spells. I've never had a player want to do this since I've been running D&D 3e and 3.5, so I'm a bit stumped. I'd like to be able to do this "by the book."

What are the rules for spell creation with D&D 3.5 . . . ? Anything in the SRD I might be able to use as a reference . . . ?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can shoot my way . . .

- D

Planesdragon

First Post
I actually have a non-SRD spell creation system sketched out, intended to let you make spells at the table as something that is less abstract rulemaking and more of a concrete system. (More like making a new character than a new feat, in other words.)

Unfortunately, I only have the system sketched out, and I don't have more than a handful of the seeds and factors and elements the way I want them.

If you & your players were willing to help out with some writing of seeds et al, I could help out with the rule design.

If you're not interested in helping expand the game, then here's the Spellcraft DC table I use. It's not core, and it's not in the SRD--but I'm not aware of a good system in the SRD for actual spell creation.

Code:
Spell Level	 DC
  	 0			15
  	 1			 18
  	 2			 21
  	 3			 24
  	 4			 27
  	 5			 30
  	 6			 33
  	 7			 36
  	 8			 39
  	 9			42

dcollins

Explorer
BrotherD said:
I'm about to start a new campaign with my group, and I've got a player who's VERY interested in creating his own spells. I've never had a player want to do this since I've been running D&D 3e and 3.5, so I'm a bit stumped. I'd like to be able to do this "by the book."

What are the rules for spell creation with D&D 3.5 . . . ? Anything in the SRD I might be able to use as a reference . . . ?

There aren't any rules. It's basically an art of balancing by the DM, with some guidelines, foremost being "compare to existing spells". If you're truly stumped and troubled by the prospect, I highly recommend just saying "no new spell creation". The DM isn't under any obligation to provide it, and it all counts as House Rules, anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads