• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules for Elves....

Priest

First Post
Got any

I am contemplating the purchase of the book Heros of High Favor Elves, but I would prefer to just write it up my own sweet err.. self

Do any of you, have rules, feats, weapons, race specific spells, or magical items, armor or what have you for Elves new subraces even.

My Contribution

Elven Falcata

Small Melee Weapon
Cost: 275 Gp
Damage 1d6
Critical: 18-20/x2
Range------
Wt. 2lbs
Type Slashing

As an elven weapon this Falcata is considered to be a MW weapon. Unlike the normal Falcata (Critical 19-20/x2) the Elven made blade is considered to hold a non magically induced keen edge. This Weapon can be used with the Weapon Finesse feat.

Sting For example is a Elven Falcata with the Enchantment Foe Alarm, and Bane (Orcs)

Elven Yataghan

Large Melee Weapon
Cost: 425 Gp
Damage: 1d8
Critical: 17-20/x2
Range:-------
Wt. 4lbs
Type: Slashing/ Piercing

The beautifully curved edge of the Yataghan makes it more effective than the Scimitar for slashing, while its balance is such that the blade becomes perfect for a "curved thrust"piercing manuever. Unlike the normal Yataghan (Critical 18-20/x2) the Elven made blade is considered to hold a non magically induced keen edge. This Weapon can be used with the Weapon Finesse feat.

Elven Thickblade

Medium-sized Melee Weapon
Cost: 350Gp
Damage: 2d4
Critical 19-20/x2
Range:---------
Wt: 6lbs
Type: Piercing

As its name implies the Elven thickblade consists of a triangular shaped blade usually of a width of 10 Inches, and a length of around 4ft. Seclusively an Elven Weapon most Thickblades are highly ornate with floral or leaf patterns being the most common. The blade is considered to hold a non magically induced keen edge, and for its width, an tang quite durable.

Last edited:

Aloïsius

First Post
:rolleyes: Well, knowing that elves like swords and rapier above all, why create new exotic weapon they are unlikely to use ? Another question, are those weapon martial or exotic ? Since they are more powerful than standard weapon, I think they should be exotic (if there is a shape that allow to deal more damage than your average longsword/scimitar, and if that shape has never been popular IRW, that's because the weapon is pretty hard to use effectively, or has some other drawback). Also I'm not sure about the non-magical minor keen edge : what happen when the weapon lose its edge ? I think creating a new material (elven steel, what you want) will be better for a non-magical minor keen-edge. Last, the elven thickblade looks like a large sized weapon, for me (4 feet long and 10inch width !).

If I were to create race specific feat, well.... I won't, unless they are directly tied to an extraordinary or magical ability of this race. I can imagine a feat, or may be a skill tied to the fact that elves do not sleep but trance, by example, let say something that allow things like dream speaking, or better healing. Huh. I don't like the fact that elves do not sleep nor dream, that's silly. I would change that, and rather give them a controlled dream skill, or something like that.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Our Elven Equipment List:

Weapons:
Bracer Crossbow * (QE)
Claw Club * (QE)
Crystal Greatsword * (QE)
Crystal Londsword * (QE)
Crystal Shortsword * (QE)
Elven Slimblade * (MElf)
Shimmerleaf Dart * (MElf)
Singing Sword * (QE)
Slingshot * (QE)
Skirmish Sword * (QE)
Skirt Blades * (QE)
Skylance * (QE)
Thorn Glove * (MElf)
Thorn Whip * (MElf)
Thornball * (MElf)
Whipbow * (QE)

Armor:
Arcane Chainmail * (QE)
Bark Armor * (MElf)
Battle Robes * (QE)
Camouflage Armor * (QE)
Doeskin Armor * (MElf)
Elven Half-Plate * (QE)
Hunter’s Hide * (QE)
Elven Leaf * (DR)
Elven Warpaint * (PS)
Ironwood Armor * (QE)
Leaf Armor * (MElf)
Mithral Skirt * (QE)
Night Leather * (QE)
Shimmerleaf Armor * (MElf)

* See Item description for any special rules/special descriptions
(DR) = Dragon Mag.
(MElf) = Moon Elves
(QE) = Quintessential Elf
(PS) = Path of the Sword

The List of elves in my game:

Elves
· Aquatic (SH)
· Avariel [+1]
· Drow [+2] (FR) & (QE)
· Grey (QE)
· Luminous (MR)
· Lythari [+1]
· Mist [+1] (QE)
· Moon (FR)
· Sea [+1] (QE)
· Sky [+2] (QE)
· Sun (FR)
· Voneress [+1]
· Wanderer (QE)
· Wild (FR) & (QE)
· Wood (FR) (QE)

(FR) = Races Found in the Forgotten Realms Handbook
(MR) = Mythic Races
(QE) = Quintessential Elf
(SH) = Seafarer’s Handbook
[+x] = ECL

VONERESS
(New Elven Subrace by Ron Owen)

The Voneress (pronounced voan-AIR'-ess), also known as Winter or Ice Elves are the children of Rellavar Danuvian, choosing to live among the icy wastes of Toril's polar region. Although not as frequently encountered as other surface elves, Voneress are as common as the other elven subraces.

Personality: They are most akin to both their Moon elf and Wild elf cousins. Like the latter, they gear their lives toward survival in the polar wilds. However, they have the same loves of beauty, learning, and exploration as the Moon elves. While the Voneress consider the wilds to be a source of beauty and art, like the Wild elves, they also appreciate their own creations and are experts at building and carving large ice cities from the living glaciers they call home. Furthermore, creative talents and taste range through forms of music and other artistic expressions, although, as a whole, they tend to prefer their own culture's art to that of others.

Physical Description: Voneress are physically adapted for survival in the harsh terrain of the arctic region. They tend to be stronger, faster, more fit, and more agile than most of their elven brethren. They have a sky blue skin tone evolved for easy camouflage in the icy wastes. Their hair tends towards silvers, whites, and various shades of blond with eyes generally of sapphire blue or lavender. Ice elf clothing is functional and simple, yet elegant. They prefer icy colors of whites, blues, soft grays, etc. and generally tend to wear light leathers and soft furs.

Relations: Winter elves are surprisingly open emotionally to strangers and visitors. They are not as open as their Moon elf cousins but more so than their xenophobic sylvan cousins. However, if crossed, the vengeance of a Voneress is unmatched by any but their distant Drow kin. Ice elves are on good terms with the human races of the great glacier as well as having allies among the Alaghi who also dwell in the icy region.

Alignment: Although of elven descent, winter elves tend toward neutral good, not generally having a need for a strict law system, but have learned through the necessity of survival that the more frivolous nature of their kin is not the way of life for them.

Voneress Lands: The Voneress live in the wilds of the arctic regions. They live in great cities carved out of ice and crystal in the deepest of glacial wastes. They hunt game, gather food, and even grow plants in special greenhouses – their skills and magic allowing them to support themselves amply. Their contact with outsiders is generally very limited and generally only with ambassadors of the elven court or with the other races that have made the frozen tundra their home, as well as the few Voneress that make a living trading goods with the outside world.

Religion: Above all others, Voneress worship Rellavar Danuvian, the Deity of Frost Sprites, Protection from the Elements (especially cold), Ice Magic, and Ice Elves. It is held in elven theology that Rellavar carved the first of the Voneress elves from the ice of the very heart of the first glacier. There are other Deities followed by the Voneress from the Elven pantheon such as: Mythrien Sarath, Tethrin Veralde, Fenmarel Mestarine, Sehanine Moonbow, Solonor Thelandira, Angharradh, and Corellon Larethian.

Language: Voneress are elves and speak elven as all other elves.

Names: Voneress are elves and use the standard elven naming convention.

Adventurers: Voneress take up adventuring out of wanderlust as do other elves.

VONERESS RACIAL TRAITS
· +4 to Dexterity, +2 to Constitution, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Voneress are graceful and extremely hardy due to their exposure to the harshness of their homes. However, their remoteness and distance from the rest of the world’s sentient species tends to make them withdrawn and gruff.
· Medium Size: As medium-sized creatures, Voneress have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Voneress base speed is 30 feet.
· Immunity to magic sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against Enchantment spells or effects.
· Low-Light Vision
· +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks.
· +4 racial bonuses to Hide and Move Silently checks when in their native arctic terrain.
· Immunity to all natural cold effects but suffer the following effects due to heat exposure: suffer a -1 (-5%) to all die rolls in temperatures between 35 and 60; a -3 (-15%) to all die rolls in temperatures between 60 and 85; and a -5 (-25%) penalty in temperatures above 85.
· +2 racial saving throw bonus against magical cold spells or effects, but suffer a –2 racial penalty against all Heat and Fire magic.
· +2 Natural Armor Class bonus.
· Proficient with Long Bow, Long Spear, and Long Sword.
· Voneress can Pass without Trace at will in any arctic region.
· Upon attaining 6th level in any class, a Voneress may summon a Medium Ice Elemental as per the spell Summon Monster 5 once per week, as long as there is enough ice to form the body of the elemental.
· Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc as well as Iulutiun, Angulutiun, and Alaghi.
· Favored Class: Barbarian (or Warlock - House CLass)
· Level Adjustment: +1

Voneress 100 years: +3d6 / +4d6 / +5d6
Voneress 175 years / 233 years / 350 years /+4d%

Voneress, man 5’ / +2d6 / 100 lb. / x(2d6)
Voneress, woman 4’7” / +2d6 / 80 lb. / x(2d6)

Last edited:

Aloïsius

First Post
Khaalis said:
The List of elves in my game:

Elves
· Aquatic (SH)
· Avariel [+1]
· Drow [+2] (FR) & (QE)
· Grey (QE)
· Luminous (MR)
· Lythari [+1]
· Mist [+1] (QE)
· Moon (FR)
· Sea [+1] (QE)
· Sky [+2] (QE)
· Sun (FR)
· Voneress [+1]
· Wanderer (QE)
· Wild (FR) & (QE)
· Wood (FR) (QE)

(

15 elven subraces.. Did someone play something else that an elf in your game ? Or may be they are not all playable ?

Last edited:

Priest

First Post
I have removed my moody comments ---again I am sorry folks

Elven weapons should not be Exotic Weapons for Elves IMO so thus they are written.

The Idea of Non Magically Keen Weapons is a show of the superior quality of precision weaponsmithing Elven Weapon Crafters can get, over the standard thus the hefty price for the item (In addition to the +300 for true MW Quality though my DM assumes that all weapons made by Elves, and Dwarves are of MW or LQ (Legendary Quality)

So an Elven Masterworked Yataghan would be 725 Gp or if one were to go with 10% of the price of the original weapon x3 +300 then the price would come out to 851 Gp which is the common price for a MW quality elven yataghan IMC The Keenish descrip is to show that Elves can make, and maintain a keener edge than the normal human make. If the edge is lost an elven smith can A) hone the edge, or B) if its bad enough reforge the edge.

And as I pointed out I am not the only one who likes the Falcata for instance LoTR's version of Sting

Khaalis disregard the above junk its not for you I just really dont like Alosius's last couple of posts, I feel that he is prolly not a fan of Elves and thus has decided to troll this thread.

Your Subrace the Voneress looks quite good though I feel that the LA should be around +2 rather than +1 but thats just me.

Oh one other thing the balancing of the Ability mods is a bit off

+4 Dex +2 Con -2 Wis, and Cha Thats a total of +6 Vrs. -4 though I still think as is thats ok and I wouldn't change it personally

Last edited:

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Well, despite your angry reply to someone who didn't deserve it, I am going to say that the Elven Yataghan should be exotic. It is so much better than any other Martial weapon, that it needs this as a balancing factor (like the Bastard Sword). Think of it as representing extra training. Otherwise there isn't a player that is going to use the other two weapons. In the hands of a fighter with improved critical and keen enchantment on the blade, it is going to be more critical hits than not.

Next time tell people that you are using something a bit different, and need rules to fit that, as opposed to adding things to a standard assumtion world, with standard rules...

If there is one person who could be thought of as a troll, it is you with that last post.

Rav

trentonjoe

Explorer
I think your tone was unneccesarrily harsh as well there Priest. The poster wan't trolling, he was disagreeing. ANd he has a point.

Maybe you should state what you want feedback on?

I think much of what you posted is unclear and could be abused or at least unbalancing.

The first weapon, the Falcata, as the EXACT same as a masterwork scimitar by the PHB standards but cheaper. Not balanced. If you want an elven masterwork scimitar to be called a Falcata just call it that.

The second weapon is a keen longsword. Big deal. It should cost in the thousands not 425 gp. I would seriously adjust the price.

The thickblade is okay balancewise. It is a slightly better longsword. Cost is probably to much. I would reccomend making it ~100gp.

Here are some questions to consider, do these naturally keen weapons stack with the keen enchantment?

If they are not exotic weapons for elves are they exotic for other races?

If Elves gain this "bonus" of having these weapons being martial do they have to lose one of there PHB bonuses?

Khaalis

Adventurer
As for the 3 specific weapons you are seeking replies on:

Elven Falcata
Small Melee Weapon
Cost: 275 Gp
Damage 1d6
Critical: 18-20/x2
Range------
Wt. 2lbs
Type Slashing

Elven Yataghan
Large Melee Weapon
Cost: 425 Gp
Damage: 1d8
Critical: 17-20/x2
Range:-------
Wt. 4lbs
Type: Slashing/ Piercing

Elven Thickblade
Medium-sized Melee Weapon
Cost: 350Gp
Damage: 2d4
Critical 19-20/x2
Range:---------
Wt: 6lbs
Type: Piercing

My take on these is as follows:

Yes they should all be Exotic Weapon, not Martial. The reason for this is that you do not want everyone in the game world running around with them. However, as is seen in the notes for the 3.5e changes, Races are being given access to Racial Exotic Weapons as part of the core race. Thus any Racially Specific exotic weapon becomes a Martial weapon for that race. (At least that is my understanding of the way the new ability works.)

Secondly, as someone who does a lot of work with Crafting, I would have to agree that the 17-20 is too much for a non-magical blade as part of its “base” ability. For game balance reasons it makes it too unbalanced to assume that every single weapon of these types are Masterwork, for it also assumes they are all +1/+0 weapons. If these are relatively common Elven weapons there should still be the “normal” version and the “Masterwork” version.

Thus what I would do with these are as follows:

Elven Falcata
Changes: Small Exotic / Cost: 25 Gp

Elven Yataghan
Changes: Large Exotic / Cost: 100 Gp / Critical: 18-20/x2

Elven Thickblade
Changes: Medium Exotic / Cost: 50Gp

Now on top of this when you go masterwork they increase by 300gp and gain a +1/+0 bonus.

You could also allow the following Masterwork additions to make them truly special when crafted by Master Elven Weaponsmiths (just as examples):

Quality: Adamantite
Cost: (+1) = +3,000gp, (+2) = +9,000
Benefit: Adamantine weapons have hardness 20 with 40 hit points.
Weapon Damage 1d4 or 1d6 gain a +1 enhancement bonus.
Weapon Damage 1d8+ gain a +2 enhancement bonus.

Quality: Darkened (Wooden only)
Cost: x3 the weight of the item in gp
Benefit: Weapon is reduced in weight by 10%. This may be added up to five times for up to a -50% weight reduction.

Quality: Darkwood
Cost: +10gp per original pound in addition to Masterwork price
Benefit: Wooden weapons made of this are considered masterwork and weigh half as much. They have a hardness of 5 and 10 hit points per inch of thickness.

Quality: Fervidite
Cost: +750gp / lb.
Benefit: Meteorite Ore. +1 natural attack/damage that stacks with Masterwork bonus. Hardness 17/HP 35.

Quality: Laminated Steel (Slashing Weapons only)
Cost: +900gp
Benefit: These weapons deal +1 damage and their critical multiplier is increased by 1. (Thus a Laminated Steel Longsword deals 1d8+1 damage and has a critical multiplier x3.) They also gain a +5 to their normal Hardness rating.

Quality: Mithral
Cost: +500gp per original pound of the weapon
Benefit: Mithral weapons have hardness 15 with 30 hit points and weigh half the normal weight.

Quality: Petrified Wood (Hafted)
Cost: +200gp / lb.
Benefit: Actually stone fossil of once living tree. 75% of normal weight, effected by Stone/Earth spells. Hardness 8/HP 20.

Quality: Serrated (Slashing Weapons only)
Cost: +300gp
Benefit: This weapons critical hit threat range is increased by +1. (Thus a Serrated Longsword has a critical range of 18-20.) They also gain a +5 to their normal Hardness rating.

Quality: Serrated Blade (Piercing only)
Cost: +150gp
Benefit: Increases Critical multiplier by 1.

Quality: Weapon of Finesse (Melee only under 5lb.)
Cost: +300gp
Benefit: Allows use of the Weapon Finesse feat.

Just a few humble ideas.

PS: All mentioned crafting techniques/materials are from published d20 sources.

Last edited:

Priest

First Post
Thank you for your insight Khaalis it was much appriciated!!
and again sorry for being agnst. I am just not having a good morning

talk to you gents later!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads