• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules, Rules, Rules (Legends & Lore)

S'mon

Legend
What you say is more or less right. At 1st level, the first encounter - adapted from Night's Dark Terror (and I think upthread I have said The Night Below when I mean Night's Dark Terror - getting my "Nights" confused!) - involved the PCs on a boat being stopped by a chain across the river and then swarmed by cultists. I statted the cultists as 1st level minions (delevelled rabble). Just recently, at 12th level, the PCs were attacked in the streets outside the apartments of a wizard they had fought and killed, and some of the assailants were thugs from the docks. I statted these as (I think) 10th level minions, levelled up from the minions in the Monster Vault. (Which I think are human thugs.)

OK... I know that Night's Dark Terror encounter with the swimming Iron Ring slavers AIR - I think I'd probably have statted them as standard 1st level monsters (brute or skirmisher probably), if there are more than 7 or 8 then maybe make the rest of them Human Rabble min-2. And I'd make the dock thugs as 9th or 10th level minions same as you did, thus both (standard-1s and min-9s) would have about the same XPV and in-world the same threat level. I like how flexible 4e is that way.

S'mon

Legend
So compared to what I was used to GMing, I find the level differences in 4e quite marked. Which might in part explain my approach to them.

Yes, very few games escalate PC power as rapidly as D&D, and this affects the feel of the game markedly. 3e aimed at x2 power per +2 levels, 4e's x2 power per +4 levels is a big dial-back.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
A few things that I would like to say about this article.

Why couldn't the rules contain all three options? If a PC is climbing something like an everyday ladder with no problems then they climb at half speed. Now while climbing the ladder some flying creatures come in and start attacking the PC's. Now this has turned into using option 2 or 3.

Let's use the same ladder but it's an old metal one that is rusted all to hell. Well option 2 and 3 could be used because the ladder has become dangerous.

All it takes is a small change in the scenario to go from something simple to something complex. I can't run up a ladder as fast as I can the ground so I could understand the 1/2 speed rule. Ever try walking up a ladder in the middle of winter or when it's raining? It's very difficult because the snow and the rain make the ladder slippery.

Having option 1,2 and 3 at your disposal is great because it allows the DM to the room to adjust his/her game anytime that it's needed.

keterys

First Post
Why couldn't the rules contain all three options? If a PC is climbing something like an everyday ladder with no problems then they climb at half speed. Now while climbing the ladder some flying creatures come in and start attacking the PC's. Now this has turned into using option 2 or 3.
Look at the rules for difficult terrain... by default it costs an extra square of movement, and that's it.

Make that difficult terrain also slippery, and maybe you have to make an Acrobatics check or fall into it. Or maybe it's full of sharp caltrops, and if you're pushed or fall prone in it then bad things happen.

Two difficult terrains I used in EPIC3-2:
Ice Shards: All squares containing ice shards are difficult terrain. Any creature that moves through or is forced through more than one such square takes 15 damage. This damage may only be taken once per turn.
A creature that is knocked prone or chooses to go prone in a square containing ice shards also takes 15 damage.

Web: The web squares indicate thick webbing that reaches to the ceiling. They are difficult terrain that cannot be jumped or flown over. Any creature without spider climb that enters or starts its turn in a web square is slowed (save ends). A save cannot be attempted against this effect while in a web square.

And yet, the rules for difficult terrain can remain pretty simple without mentioning every possible type of difficult terrain or way things can be mixed up.

I've also seen difficult terrain that took 3 or 4 squares to enter, or that was blocking unless you made an Athletics check, then was difficult. General rules. Specific exceptions. Start with the basics of what is needed, only, then let people add as many options as they want.

Remove ads