• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules that never made sense to you?

Nail

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
I don't think it should be a grapple maneuver because it has too many thing that are unlike grappling. Instead, just say that an AoO that deals damage negates the trip (or perhaps for all such things like trip, disarm, and grapple, add the damage to the opposed check).
Which is fine...but doesn't address my biggest "huh?" concern over trip:

The ability to trip an opponent is not related to combat ability. It's only related to how strong (or graceful) you are; your raw talent.

That's just weird. My sensei can put me flat on my a$$, and yet I'm sure I can lift more weight than he can. And no matter how much I work out on the bench press, that won't help me trip him. :(

Vurt

First Post
Deset Gled said:
On a similar note, why can I trip with a guisarme and a halberd, but not with a glaive or a quarterstaff?

Because the guisarme and the halberd have hook-y bits, whereas the glaive and the quarterstaff generally do not?

Cheers,
Vurt

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Nail said:
And no matter how much I work out on the bench press, that won't help me trip him. :(

That's because he has such a high touch AC. ;)

But, keep at it. Sooner or later you'll roll a 20 and get a huge shove in that puts him on the ground. With high Str, it is not so much a trip as an unexpected shove. You just have to catch him in a rare moment when he is off balance.

Kodam

First Post
Hi!

frankthedm said:
It does not call out your diety specificly, more of wrath of the gods in general rather than your specific god.[/I]

I always imagined it as the wrath of the clerics god.

frankthedm said:
I think there should be move versions of the spell, with the energy dependant on diety. Notably a Lightning Strike. Maybe even an arcane 4th level mixed school Necromancy/Evocation Negative energy and fire spell [12d6 cap].

Thats a good point: a CG god of fire, light and healing for example does deny his clerics all lawful and evil spells, but he is all fine with water, ice, darkness and inflict spells.
A cleric of a god of ice still smites his foes with Flamestrike. Thats a bit strange I think.

Kodam

TYPO5478

First Post
Jhulae said:
Hmm.

I don't think having a readied action *stops* spellcasting... I think it may force a concentration check or Save which may fail and prevent the spell from going off.. but it's by no means assured.
I was talking about readying a counterspell, which would completely negate the spell being cast (effectively "stopping" it).

KarinsDad

Adventurer
TYPO5478 said:
I was talking about readying a counterspell, which would completely negate the spell being cast (effectively "stopping" it).

And if that is the only way to stop a given spell, then that spell is broken as per the original quote.

Since there are other ways to stop spells, spells are not broken. QED. ;)

Infiniti2000

First Post
KarinsDad said:
You just have to catch him in a rare moment when he is off balance.
Like when he's about to sit down and work on the computer in the office. Either pull the chair out from under him or throw him over the desk. :)

Nail

First Post
KarinsDad said:
You just have to catch him in a rare moment when he is off balance.
Yeah. Meanwhile: Ouch, down on the ground again.

I've been toying with the idea of using the Grapple check opposed rolls, modified by stability, rather than a straight Str (or Dex) check. We'll see.

Infiniti2000 said:
Like when he's about to sit down and work on the computer in the office. Either pull the chair out from under him or throw him over the desk.
That might work......I'd pay for it later, though. :heh:

TYPO5478

First Post
KarinsDad said:
And if that is the only way to stop a given spell, then that spell is broken as per the original quote.

Since there are other ways to stop spells, spells are not broken. QED. ;)
Another clarification: I wasn't talking about a particular spell. I was talking about casting in general. Any spell can be stopped by counterspelling it (which requires a ready action). Granted, some spells can be stopped in other ways, but to my knowledge there's no method that would stop all of them.

I don't think I'm familiar with anything that can only be stopped by a readied action. Could you please provide some examples?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads