• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Rules] Weapon & Armor crafting

Clay_More

First Post
Howdy!

I'm going to continue the development of my old crafting system that I worked on a year or two ago for 3.5 as I've come to realize that I'm going to stick to the 3.5 system. I also realized that since the campaign setting I'm currently working on (of which you can see material scattered across the forum as well as Plots and Places) is going to be a little bit low-magic.

The reason I initially made the crafting rules was so that there would be some benefit to people who focused on the craft skill in game. As it is in standard 3.5, there's basically no benefit at all focusing on craft after you've reached level 5, even though history and legend is stocked of stories about smiths and other craftsmen creating legendary and epic items with no magic involved. It just seems so "dull" that a low-level wizard is probably capable of creating a better item than a 30th level dwarf expert who's focused solely on craft.

The system is a bit complex, but the basics are easy.

An item gains power through 3 parts. The general quality, the material used and the special modifications done to the item. This system will be duplicated throughout the craft skills.

The general quality determines the rudimentary stats. High quality gives damage / attack bonus for weapons, higher armor bonus for armor, more potency for poisons, etc.

Material can give some special abilities to the item, abilities that might approach the magical in power. It is a way to introduce some "fantastic" effects to crafting without necessarily having to involve a spellcaster.

Modifications are special alterations done to the item. These will typically increase the craft DC and the time required to make the item, but they will provide some unique benefits to an aspect of the item. These bonuses will hardly ever be "straight" bonuses, but a bit more specific and circumstantial.

Anyways, I'm going to start my work on introducing more materials and getting around to making the modifications for armor. If you're interested, here's the link to the wiki I made that explains all the weapon rules. And yes, if you're old members of the forum, you might have seen some of it before.

http://craftsmanship.pbwiki.com/FrontPage

Clay_More

First Post
I've been making some serious considerations about crafting in my setting, since there's going to be less availability of magic and I've been pondering about what craft skills might act as substitutes in some regards.

My dwarves and gnomes are going to be a bit more steam-punk than standard 3.5 with greater availability for steam, electricity and gunpowder oriented technology. With the story I'm working on for the dwarves and gnomes, they won't even have the ability to use divine magic as they are not divinely created (but they can be affected by it), so they rely almost exclusively on technology. While they might be able to learn arcane magic, they have absolutely no culture for it.

Currently, I'm going to have the following Craft skill in the campaign: Alchemy, Armorsmithing, Weaponsmithing, Bowmaking, Steam, Electricity and Gunpowder.

Alchemy is going to be expanded quite considerably to include many poisons and diseases that can be customized in a number of ways, similar to the existing system with weapons.

Why is Steam, Electricity and Gunpowder three different craft skills? Why isn't it just "Mechanical"? Why is Gunpowder separate from Alchemy?

Well, since dwarves and gnomes will rely a really lot on these three craft skills, its important to me that there is a really significant amount of things you can do with these skills. These skills have the potential to craft items that easily rival magic in power, so you might compare them to the old craft feats you have for magic items. Simply giving out all craft feats in one feat would be too strong (well, actually I don't think so, but thats how the rules operate). Each of these three directions will have a big variety of unique items with a theme to each skill. If you are especially competent, you might be able to make some of the cross-skill items that require more than one craft skill to produce. Anyways, all of this is going to be added as I start work.

mboswi

First Post
I´m really interested on that proyect since I have seen that D&D 4 has no crafting system and 3.5 is very simple (in my opinion). All the "mechanical" ideas are also really intesreting.
I have visited your wiki but I see nothing about it nor other improvements you have talked about.
Waiting for your answer.
Perhaps I could help if you want.
Anyway, thank you for your wiki, it is useful.

Kerrick

First Post
Check this out, Clay - it's my version of the Crafting system, and it might give you some ideas. We've also got a huge list of materials. Someone else posted a long list of stuff along with some crafting rules awhile back, but it's likely gone by now unless it ended up in the archives.

Clay_More

First Post
Hiya Mboswi and Kerrick, thanks for the replies. Mboswi, I'm going to update the wiki with all the material I'm making as soon as I've put it on the forum for feedback, much easier for me to change the material before putting it in the wiki than after.

And thanks Kerrick, we actually did talk a bit about crafting some years ago when I was working on my original rules and you were working on yours, and I gotta agree that its a pretty good set of rules you have for crafting, a bit less complex than what I'm aiming for but probably easier to adopt for normal gamers who don't want to burden their game with too complex rules.

My own crafting rules are almost a bit of a "meta-game" where the players can get really involved in crafting their equipment, finding the alterations and modifications that suits them best. Anyways, I finished some of the base rules regarding mechanics and I've started on the rules for Steam powered items.

Mechanics
Balmortis is a world in which a small number of races have mastered a greater level of technology than is common in most settings. The dwarves and gnomes in particular are able to construct machines that rival the accomplishments of the best of mages. Some particularily devout priests have even managed to construct a technology based on divine energy, using engines infused with the power of their deity to power complex systems. This level of technology is not easy to deal with though, and creating items of this complexity requires a wider array of skills than normal fantasy crafts. The following is a list of the craft skills used in this system.

Craft (Mechanics): This skill includes the construction of mechanical systems as well as clockwork items. A character with ranks in the Craft (Mechanics) skill is not only able to produce some rudimentary mechanical items, he is also able to repair not only items produced by the skill, but also items produced by some of the other craft skills.

Craft (Steam): This skill is focused on the construction of steam engines. Steam engines are the most readily available source of power for the majory of mechanical items as well as the most readily available and powerful.

Craft (Electricity): Electricity is a much trickier source of power than steam and one that has yet not been fully mastered. While the dwarves are capable of producing rather basic items utilizing electricity, the true masters of the craft are the gnomes that have been able to craft a wide array of peculiar items using this source of power.

Craft (Divine): Since the dwarves and gnomes are a godless race, they have never been able to manufacture the rather unique divine engines created by other races, particularily the humans who worship Emanuel the Whisperer. These engines contain diminutive sparks of holy essence, a gift given to mortals by the gods. While divinely powered machines lack the brute strength of steam and the oddity of electricity, they do have some unique capabilities.

Craft (Gunpowder): The dwarves, gnomes and the humans of Cay Adair have all learnt to harness the lethal potential of gunpowder. The country of Cay Adair has experienced a slow but steady decline in their understanding of the technology as a result of the indifference of the nobility and the country's political depression. While the technicians of Cay Adair have slowly lost their grasp of the technology, the gnomes and in particular the dwarves are more capable than ever at producing extremely potent weapons utilizing gunpowder.

Craft (Flesh): This unique craft is rarely utilized by most societies. Only the depraved necromacers of the Black Kingdoms actively research the use of flesh as a source of power for machines. The dwarves have been known to utilize the skill with relative success in their enormous Womb Engines.

Note: Why the great number of craft skills? The items you can manufacture with the craft skills listed above are far more potent than mundane weapons and armor. Acquiring a mechanical item gives the character an advantage that far surpasses the advantage you can gain from any other skills. Therefore, mechanical items must represent a sizeable investment on behalf of the character that constructs them, not only in time and money spent, but also in the amount of skills that the character must possess before he can craft the more potent items.

Crafting a mechanical item
Crafting a mechanical item is very different from crafting a piece of armor or a weapon.
Virtually all mechanical items have one thing in common; they require several craft skills to be produced. For example, a typical steam engine will require the crafter to succeed at both a Craft (Mechanics) and Craft (Steam) check. A dwarven power armor will usually require a Craft (Armorsmithing), Craft (Mechanics) and Craft (Steam) check to be passed for it to be successfully produced. Each type of craft check is only rolled once for each item produced. If any of the skill checks required to craft the item are failed, the item is ruined and all of the materials are lost. Creating a mechanical item is done in steps, described below.

First of all, a mechanical item requires a power source before it can operate. These engines can be powered by a number of means and each type of engine comes in a variety of classes that each provide a certain amount of power. For example, a Class 1 steam engine will produce 3 points of power. This small, portable engine can therefore provide power for either one mechanical item requiring 3 points of power or one item requiring 1 point of power and one item requiring 2 points of power, and so forth. The first step to create a mechanical contraption or series of contraptions is therefore to either build or acquire an engine. All items that require power will not only list how much power they need, but also the type of power that they can utilize.

After creating or acquiring an engine, the active item can be created or acquired. For example, if a character has acquired the Class 1 steam engine mentioned above, he now has the option to connect a number of items capable of running on steam power to the engine. Connecting an item to an engine is a rather simple procedure that requires a Craft (Mechanics) check (DC 10). If the character fails the craft check to connect the item, either the item is ruined (90% chance) or the engine (10% chance).

Many of the mechanical items that can be crafted have a number of modifcations that can be done to them. These modifications are listed beneath the description of the item. These modifications typically increase one or several of the Craft DC's as well as the crafting time.

To craft any item that requires a Craft (Mechanics), Craft (Steam) or Craft (Gunpowder) check, the character must have access to a mechanical workshop. Constructing a mechanical workshop costs 5.000 gp in materials and tools and the workshop takes up 30x30 ft of space. Larger items may require additional workshop space to be built if the size of the item is greater than 30 ft in any of its dimensions.

Special rules regarding mechanical items
Steam engines require coal and water to function. Under the description of each class of steam engine there will be a listing of how long the engine can operate on a full load of coal and water as well as the amount of coal and water required to refill the engine when it is empty. If a steam engine has no fuel, all contraptions connected to it will cease to function. A steam engine can be switched off if not in use. A steam engine will use the same amount of fuel no matter how many contraptions are connected to it. It takes 10 rounds to start up a steam engine when it is shut off.

Engines are so large that they can be targeted by attacks. Attacking an engine is similar to attacking any other object equipped by the character. The engine will typically be worn on the back and can only be targeted by foes who are flanking the character wearing the engine. Some contraptions, such as power armor and tanks, will have the engine fitted inside the contraption, making it impossible for anyone to target it unless they first destroy the contraption. If an engine is destroyed, all contraptions attached to it will cease to function. Repairing a destroyed engine requires 50% of the materials used to construct it, it takes half as much time to repair as the its construction time and a Craft (Mechanics) check must be succeeded. A failed craft check means that the engine has been destroyed beyond repair. The Craft (Mechanics) check required to repair an engine is equal to the highest Craft check involved in crafting the engine. For example, an engine that requires a Craft (Mechanics) check of a DC 20 and a Craft (Steam) check of a DC 25 to manufacture will require a Craft (Mechanics) check with a DC of 25 to repair. Remember that the repair DC is equal to the final Craft DC of the engine after all modifications have been included, not the base DC.

Optional Rule: Simplification
While the rules regarding mechanical items are a bit complex compared to most rules that deal with equipment, this is deliberate to emphasize the problems and hindrances associated with using complex mechanical items as opposed to more "mundane" fantasy items. It is possible to cut away some of the rules if the person using the rules wishes for them to be easier to implement. It is, for example, possible to reduce all of the above-listed Craft skills to one single skill called Craft (Mechanics). When crafting an item that requires any of the above-listed skills, simply take the highest Craft DC listed in the description of the item and make it a Craft (Mechanics) check. It is also possible to ignore the rules about steam engines having a limited operation time and requiring fuel. If you want to simplify even further, you can remove the engines all together and simply state that the mechanical items run on an internal power source. Be careful with reducing too many limitations though, as it will make the mechanical items too powerful compared to mundane and even magical items.

Clay_More

First Post
Steam-Powered Items

Steam Engine
The Steam Engine is the simplest of all engines to build as well as the most powerful, but it requires a constant supply of fuel to operate. The engine consists of a firebox compartment located in the bottom where coal is burnt to heat up water located in a boiler above the firebox. When the water becomes sufficiently hot, it generates steam which drives a motor unit above the boiler. This motor is then connected to other devices by a series of cogs and pistons. Some contraptions that rely on a steam engine for power use the energy created by the motor while other contraptions rely on the steam itself. Steam Engines which are worn on the back in a manner similar to a backpack are usually equipped with a heat sink to protect the wearer from the heat radiating from the firebox and boiler.

Class 1 Steam Engine
Weight: 30 lb
Power Points: 3
Operational Time: 2 hours
Refuel: 5 lb of coal and water (cost 1 sp)
Cost: 4.000 gp
Hardness: 10
Hit Points: 20
Construction
Craft (Mechanics) DC: 18
Craft (Steam) DC: 22
Craft Time: 30 days
Materials: 30 lb of Dwarf Steel

Class 2 Steam Engine
Weight: 50 lb
Power Points: 6
Operation Time: 3 hours
Refuel: 10 lb of coal and water (cost 2 sp)
Cost: 6.000 gp
Hardness: 10
Hit Points: 30
Construction
Craft (Mechanics) DC: 20
Craft (Steam) DC: 24
Craft Time: 40 days
Materials: 50 lb of Dwarf Steel

Class 3 Steam Engine
Weight: 100 lb
Power Points: 15
Operation Time: 6 hours
Refuel: 20 lb of coal and water (cost 4 sp)
Cost: 15.000 gp
Hardness: 15
Hit Points: 40
Construction
Craft (Mechanics) DC: 22
Craft (Steam) DC: 26
Craft Time: 50 days
Materials: 100 lb of Dwarf Steel
Note: This is the engine normally used in the Bombardier Mechanized Armor

Class 4 Steam Engine
Weight: 250 lb
Power Points: 40
Operation Time: 8 hours
Refuel: 40 lb of coal and water (cost 8 sp)
Cost: 35.000 gp
Hardness: 15
Hit Points: 50
Construction
Craft (Mechanics) DC: 24
Craft (Steam) DC: 28
Craft Time: 70 days
Materials: 250 lb of Dwarf Steel
Note: This is the engine normally used in the Juggernaut Mechanized Armor

Class 5 Steam Engine
Weight: 750 lb
Power Points: 150
Operation Time: 12 hours
Refuel: 100 lb of coal and water (cost 2 gp)
Cost: 125.000 gp
Hardness: 20
Hit Points: 75
Construction
Craft (Mechanics) DC: 27
Craft (Steam) DC: 31
Craft Time: 100 days
Materials: 750 lb of Dwarf Steel
Note: This engine is normally used to power the majority of dwarven vehicles

Steam Engine Modifications

Armored
Crafting Time Modifier: +50%
Craft (Mechanics) DC Modifier: +6
Material Modifier: +50% lb
Benefit: Increases the Hardness of the engine by 5 points and the Hit Points by 15.

Armors
Perhaps the most used of dwarven contraptions are the steam-powered armors, also known as mechanized armor. These heavy suits are thicker and sturdier than any other armor crafted anywhere. While a mechanized armor is considered a mechanical item, it is also considered an armor for the purpose of crafting rules. That means that all of the crafting rules for armor can be applied to mechanized armor, such as item quality and armor modifications. These rules can be found in the section about armor crafting. Any alterations done to the armor through the use of the armor crafting rules will only affect the DC of the Craft (Armorsmith) check, while many mechanical modifications will affect either the Craft (Mechanics) or Craft (Steam) check. When a character is wearing a mechanized armor and a steam engine at the same time, the steam engine is considered to be inside the armor, making it impossible for enemies to target the engine with a sunder attack.

New Rules: Super Heavy Armor
The two steam-powered armors are considered super heavy armor. Super heavy armor is the same as heavy armor with the following exceptions. The movement speed of the wearer is decreased by an additional 5 ft, the wearer can only run at double speed and no matter what it is impossible to gain any Dexterity bonus while wearing a super heavy armor. Usually, an armor of higher quality will increase the Maximum Dexterity Bonus of the armor. This rule does not apply to super heavy armor. To use super heavy armor, the wearer must have the Armor Proficiency (Super Heavy) feat. Using a super heavy armor without the Armor Proficiency (Super Heavy) feat has the same penalties as using heavy armor without the appropriate feat. The armor check penalty will be applied to all attack rolls as well as Strength-based and Dexterity-based ability and skill checks.

Bombardier Mechanized Armor
Weight: 125 lb (when powered, the effective weight of the armor is reduced to 25 lb)
Power Point Usage: 12
Cost: 12.000 gp
Armor Bonus: +11
Maximum Dex Bonus: 0
Armor Check Penalty: -9
Arcane Spell Failure Chance: 50%
Construction
Craft (Armorsmith) DC: 22
Craft (Mechanics) DC: 20
Craft (Steam) DC: 24
Materials: 125 lb of Dwarf Steel
Benefits: Anyone wearing the Bombardier Mechanized Armor gains Damage Reduction 3/-. This Damage Reduction will stack with other sources of Damage Reduction that can not be overcome by special types of damage. The Bombardier Mechanized Armor also grants the wearer a +2 Equipment bonus to Strength and a +2 Equipment bonus to resist Bull Rush, Grapple and Trip attempts. Additionally, the character wearing the armor also gains a +4 Equipment bonus to the opposed Strength check if he chooses to block an Overrun attempt. The Bombardier Mechanized Armor will also reduce the effective weight of the steam engine fitted into it by 90 lb.

The Bombardier Mechanized Armor is the standard armor for dwarven infantry. The armor is typically used by the troops using ranged weapons to support the much heavier Juggernaut infantry. The only infantry who don't use Bombardier or Juggernaut armor are the crews operating the dwarven vehicles.

Juggernaut Mechanized Armor
Weight: 300 lb (when powered, the effective weight of the armor is reduced to 50 lb)
Power Point Usage: 35
Cost: 35.000 gp
Armor Bonus: +15
Maximum Dex Bonus: 0
Armor Check Penalty: -11
Arcane Spell Failure Chance: 60%
Construction
Craft (Armorsmith) DC: 26
Craft (Mechanics) DC: 24
Craft (Steam) DC: 28
Materials: 300 lb of Dwarf Steel
Benefits: Anyone wearing the Juggernaut Mechanized Armor gains Damage Reduction 6/-. This Damage Reduction will stack with other sources of Damage Reduction that can not be overcome by special types of damage. The Juggernaut Mechanized Armor also grants the wearer a +6 Equipment bonus to Strength and a +6 Equipment bonus to resist Bull Rush, Grapple and Trip attempts. Additionally, the character wearing the armor also gains a +10 Equipment bonus to the opposed Strength check if he chooses to block an Overrun attempt. The Juggernaut Mechanized Armor will also reduce the effective weight of the steam engine fitted into it by 230 lb.

The Juggernaut Mechanized Armor is used by the elite juggernaut dwarven infantry. The juggernauts are the armor fist of the dwarven army, responsible for creating a defensive line that will halt the advance of the enemy and protect the vulnerable crew of the steam powered siege engines.

Armor Modifications

Heat Sink
Crafting Time Modifier: +25%
Craft (Mechanics) DC Modifier:+6
Material Modifier: +15 lb
Power Point Usage Modifier: 0
Benefit: The Heat Sink modification is a number of copper tubes installed inside the armor to allow for rapid heat dispersion should the wearer be subjected to a heat-based attack. Incidentally, the modification also allows extreme cold to be negated, but to a lesser extent than heat. The Heat Sink modification grants the wearer Fire Resistance 10 and Cold Resistance 5.

Impedance Circuit
Craft (Mechanics) DC Modifier: +4
Material Modifier: +5 lb
Power Point Usage Modifier: 0
Benefit: The Impedance Circuit modification consists of a number of metallic conductors built into the armor as well as an inner layer of rubber which creates a high level of impedance for lightning energy to travel to the wearer of the armor. The Impedance Circuit makes lightning energy far more likely to travel through the metallic conductors into the ground than into the wearer of the armor. The Impedance Circuit modification grants the wearer Electricity Resistance 10.

Power Augmentation
Craft (Steam) DC Modifier: +4
Material Modifier: +10 lb
Power Point Usage Modifier: +2
Benefit: The Power Augmentation modification increases the capacity of the steam-powered pistons that provide locomotion for the mechanized armor. The Power Augmentation modification increases the Equipment bonus to Strength granted by the armor by 2 points.

Power Augmentation, Greater

Crafting Time Modifier: +50%
Craft (Mechanics) DC Modifier: +10
Craft (Steam) DC Modifier: +10
Material Modifier: +25 lb
Power Point Usage Modifier: +5
Benefit: The Greater Power Augmentation modification is a more potent version of the Power Augmentation modification. The two modifications can not be added to the same armor. The Greater Power Augmentation modification increases the Equipment bonus to Strength granted by the armor by 4 points.

Steam Vents
Crafting Time Modifier: +10%
Craft (Mechanics) DC Modifier: +2
Craft (Steam) DC Modifier: +2
Material Modifier: +5 lb
Power Point Usage Modifier: +1
Benefit: The steam vents modification is occasionally added to armors when the wearer expects to fight against a numerically superior foe that is likely to surround him. The steam vents are a series of copper tubes running inside the armor, connected to the steam engine. When the steam engine is operating, pressure will build up inside the tubes. By activating a valve on the armor, which counts as a free action, the wearer can release the pressure built up inside the tubes through a number of small vents located at strategic locations on the armor. When the pressure is released, hot steam will pour fourth and damage foes within 5 ft of the wearer, causing 1d6 points of Fire damage to all affected foes.

Submersible
Craft (Armorsmith) DC Modifier: +4
Craft (Steam) DC Modifier: +4
Material Modifier: +15 lb
Power Point Usage Modifier: +1
Benefit: The Submersible modification is a rather complex procedure that reinforces the joints of the armor, fills out the many small gaps in the armor, adds an armored glass plate to the face and installs a series of specialized valves to the steam engine. All of these procedures causes the armor to be able to maintain an internal pressure even when submerged in deep water. Two cannisters of pressurized air are installed in the back of the armor to provide oxygen for the wearer while submerged. The Submersible modification allows the wearer to travel to depths up to 1000 ft and gives him enough air supply to be under water for one hour. Going deeper than 1000 ft will cause the armor to buckle and eventually one of the joints or the glass plate will buckle and collapse, causing the armor to be flooded and the wearer exposed to the effects of the pressure of the deep ocean. If the wearer suffers a critical hit while travelling under water, there is a 50% chance that the armor will be punctured, causing the same effect as described above. The Submersible modification is typically used strategically, to allow a group of dwarven infantry to hide or travel under water. The modification is rarely used to allow the infantry to combat underwater foes, as the risk of engaging in combat while under water is quite substantial. It takes 6 hours for the cannisters containing pressurized air to be refilled when the armor is out of the water.

Clay_More

First Post
So, here's a bit of description about the rules I've come up with regarding vehicles so far. I've only added two vehicles so far, going to make a few more. I'm also going to add a bit more description to the last vehicle, the Oppressor, and I might add some variants to the Crawler. Think that I will work a bit more on the common armor system before continuing with the mechanics though, bit of a big project this is :p

Vehicles
Few machines are as feared on the battlefield as the dwarven vehicles, tanks powered by enormous, internal steam engines. While very clumsy, the dwarven tanks have thick armor that protects not only the internal machinery but also the crew, in addition to the tracks that allows them to travel across rugged terrain, albeit slowly.

New Rules: Tanks
Tanks are in many ways similar to constructs, they have no Constitution score, they are completely immune to all mind-affect effects and spells and they are immune to critical hits. There are a number of differences from constructs that should be noted in regards to tanks though. First of all, tanks need a crew to operate, and many of the abilities of the tank is defined by its crew. Deploying the weapons fitted to the tank uses the attack bonus of the crew, and the tank itself is incapable of making any skill checks. Secondly, the tank only has one ability score; Strength. The tank will automatically fail any checks that involves the other five ability scores. Thirdly, most tanks do not have a uniform amount of armor or damage reduction. A tank will often have three separate armor and damage reduction scores, for the front, sides and rear of the tank. All attacks, both melee and ranged, have to hit a different AC and overcome a different damage reduction based on which of the three parts of the tank that is attacked. A tank is never considered to be flat-footed if any of its crew are not flat-footed. The crew of a tank can perform listen, search and spot checks while inside, but do so with a -5 penalty. A tank automatically fails all Reflex Saving Throws and it is immune to any effects that require a Fortitude or Will Saving Throw. All tanks have a trample attack. Anyone who performs a successful grapple attack against a tank will have succeeded in tipping it over, rendering it immobile and incapable of using its weapons. Only by succeeding at a grapple attack against the tank can it be tipped back on its tracks.

Crawler
Huge Construct
Weight: 14 tonnes
Power Point Usage: 90
Cost: 150.000 gp
Hit Dice: 20d10 (110 hp)
Initiative: 0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)

Armor Class (Front): 22 (-2 size, +14 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 22
Damage Reduction (Front): 12/adamantine
Armor Class (Sides): 20 (-2 size, +12 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 20
Damage Reduction (Sides): 10/adamantine
Armor Class (Rear): 16 (-2 size, +8 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 16
Damage Reduction (Rear): 5/adamantine

Base Attack/Grapple: —/+33
Weaponry: Linked Needle Gun
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Trample
Special Qualities: Construct traits, Heavy

Saves: Fort —, Ref —, Will —
Abilities: Str 30, Dex —, Con —, Int —, Wis —, Cha —

Construction
Crafting Time: 120 days
Craft (Armorsmith) DC: 34
Craft (Gunpowder) DC: 24
Craft (Mechanics) DC: 32
Craft (Steam) DC: 34
Materials: 14 tonnes (31360 lb) of Dwarf Steel

Trample (Ex): 2d10+15 damage, Reflex Saving Throw (DC 30) for half damage, DC is Strength-based.

Heavy (Ex): The Crawler receives a +10 bonus to resist Grapple attempts due to its heavy weight.

The Crawler vaguely resembles a big, solid, square box of reinforced steel. The box is slightly sloped in the front where it has four small slits fitted to allow the crew inside to look out. On the top of the front, in the left side, there is a small, armored turret fitted with the linked Needle Guns that are the only protection of the vehicle. The vehicles moves across the battlefield on six large, tracked steel wheels. The wheels are so large that they reach up higher than the roof of the vehicle. There are two entrances to the Crawler, one being a small hatch in the bottom of the vehicle that is primarily used by the crew in case of an emergency, and a large hatch in the rear that acts as a ramp to allow the personnel inside to exit with ease. The ramp is a vital part of exiting the vehicle rapidly, as it has a significant ground clearance of roughly two feet.

The Crawler is a heavy transport used by the dwarves to move infantry across the battlefield. The armored vehicle not only protects the infantry within, but it also allows them to fire ranged weapons against enemies outside. The Crawler needs a crew of 2 to operate and it can fit an additional 12 people inside wearing armor no heavier than Bombardier Mechanized Armor. It is possible for the Crawler to transport 6 people wearing Juggernaut Mechanized Armor. Half of the people inside are able to fire ranged weapons at any enemies to the left of the vehicles, and the other half can fire at enemies to the right. The linked Needle Guns on the vehicle is capable of firing at any angle.

Oppressor
Huge Construct
Weight: 45 tonnes
Power Point Usage: 140
Cost: 350.000 gp
Hit Dice: 25d10 (138 hp)
Initiative: 0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)

Armor Class (Front): 22 (-2 size, +14 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 22
Damage Reduction (Front): 12/adamantine
Armor Class (Sides): 16 (-2 size, +8 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 16
Damage Reduction (Sides): 8/adamantine
Armor Class (Rear): 12 (-2 size, +4 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 12
Damage Reduction (Rear): 4/adamantine

Base Attack/Grapple: —/+40
Weaponry: Grudge Cannon, Linked Needle Gun
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Grudge Cannon, Trample
Special Qualities: Construct traits, Heavy

Saves: Fort —, Ref —, Will —
Abilities: Str 34, Dex —, Con —, Int —, Wis —, Cha —

Construction
Crafting Time: 200 days
Craft (Armorsmith) DC: 38
Craft (Gunpowder) DC: 42
Craft (Mechanics) DC: 36
Craft (Steam) DC: 38
Materials: 45 tonnes (100.800 lb) of Dwarf Steel

Grudge Cannon (Ex): The Grudge Cannon is the conventional weapon capable of at the longest range of any dwarven weapons. The cannon can engage enemies at ranges up to 25 miles in optimal weather conditions. It takes the shell one round to travel three miles, so when firing at maximum range the weapon is at a disadvantage if the enemy is moving, it is therefore used primarily to attack immobile enemies at long ranges. The cannon is normally not used like a regular ranged weapon, when it is fired it usually targets a piece of ground instead of a specific enemy. When the shell impacts, it causes 5d6 points of Fire damage to all creatures and objects within 10 ft. and 8d6 points of Piercing damage to all creatures and objects within 60 ft. of the point of impact. Anyone inside the area of effect is allowed a Reflex Saving Throw (DC 20) to receive half damage.
It is possible to fire the gun at points outside the crew's line of sight if there is a spotter who has been able to note down the exact position at which the gun is to be fired. It requires a Profession (Siege Engineer) check (DC 20) to hit a specific point. If the check fails, the shell will still impact with the ground, but it will be off-target by a distance of 10 ft. for every point by which the Profession check was missed, in a random direction (use the scatter diagram for grenade-like weapons to determine the direction). It is possible to fire the Grudge Cannon directly at a creature if it is within 3 miles of the cannon and it is size Gargantuan or larger. It takes ten rounds to reload the Grudge Cannon.

Trample (Ex): 2d12+18 damage, Reflex Saving Throw (DC 30) for half damage, DC is Strength-based.

Heavy (Ex): The Oppressor receives a +15 bonus to resist Grapple attempts due to its heavy weight.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads