• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ruling on evil sentient weapons

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Can I sentient sword "turn off" it's magic? If so, it could turn off at just the wrong moment, helping to get it's bearer killed and pass on to the new victor.

Coredump

Explorer
I think it is important to figure out what the sword wants out of "life". If it just really really likes killing things, then it is better off with a LG paladin than a Chaotic Evil baron, or as part of a dragon's treasure.

Think of it as another party member.... is the party (and the weilder in specific) helping it achieve its end goal? Then it may be okay just playing along. (while, of course, trying to influence them)

It also depends on the wielder may do to the sword. A good character that decides the evil weapon is more hassle than its worth... may decide to dump it into a volcano, or put it in a lead lined box and drop into the ocean. Given those options, the sword may decide that hanging with the good guys isn't so bad for awhile.

Once, as DM, I managed to convince the player of a LN character to trust her LE intelligent sword more than the rest of the party - since it had her interests at heart more than they seemed to. Just through role-playing.

I think the sword was named "Justice of the Sultan" and it planned to have her overthrow the caliphate. You know, thinking long-term.

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
Does the good character know it is an evil sword?

I'd have problems with any good person willingly trying to use evil.

willingly using it is itself an evil act IMHO

Was Frodo evil? After knowing what the one ring truly was, Frodo still used it during his quest to destroy it.

there is also the classic trope of good characters believing themselves strong enough to use evil items for good. They may have the purest of intentions and the tragedy of their mistake is good drama.

mudhen5013

First Post
I am liking all of these responses, so many ways to look at it, I would say the character at first will not even know the sword is sentient, bc the sword will hide that fact in order to find out about its new "master"

AriochQ

Adventurer
I have a sentient shortsword in my current group being held by the halfling rogue. Rather than truly evil, this sword is extremely greedy. So far the rogue thinks it is great, since it also goes along with his behavior. As time goes on, the sword will become worse and worse and then the rogue will be forced into some tough decisions. For example, at some point the rogue will be forced between taking the treasure or saving a party member. The player will want to save the party member, the sword will have other ideas.

Coredump

Explorer

I could see that if it was 'doing' evil, like perhaps killing by sucking souls into the Abyss.... or creating pestilence in the area.... etc.

But just 'being evil' wouldn't be enough, as long as what it was *doing* wasn't evil. If the evil sword was killing the evil dragon, and the evil cultists, and the evil undead..... I would have no problem with a good person weilding it for those purposes.

DMCF

First Post
This is definitely a great thing to have in your game. The player doesn't have to know the artifact is evil or if he finds out he could still be addicted to it. When he rests he wakes up and the halberd is lying next to him. Think "The One Ring" type of whispers and addictive properties.

The evil inside it, the lust for power doesn't have to make the character a bad person either. For example, if it's never drawn on common folk but only on monsters it can still lust for the kill. For example, I'd roll CHA for control if the player wanted to interrogate a captured monster at the end of battle. If he fails, he runs it through without realizing what he's doing. Is the player evil? Has he tarnished his reputation with the folk of the village? No. He's still a hero, but he has a secret and has to watch how he behaves in certain situations.

Once the player acknowledges his limitations due to the sentient item you as the DM can set up scenarios that test his willpower and decisions. IMO it actually makes encounters a little easier because you have a focal point in which to provide a story line.

Unwise

Adventurer
As a DM I would love it if a player did this. The last time a PC did this they picked up the dagger of a paranoid assassin. They attuned it and from that point on I described events in a paranoia enducing way. For instance when they went to stay at an inn, I would say "He hands you the beer rather carefully, his eyes keep darting to it, he looks a bit nervous and his smile seems forced, he seems to be waiting for you to drink it". This led to false accusations, the PCs being run out of town, accusing the local lord of being in league with a cult, destroyed relationships, destroying other good items that "feel off" etc.

It took the party a long time to realize that these descriptions only happened when that particular PC was having it described to them. It took them a while longer to work out that it was the dagger, as he had not told them about it. Of course, when they tried to take it from him, he stabbed one of them dead, being convinced that they were a doppleganger due to 'hints' I had been dropping for a while. It was great, the player himself actually thought that the item allowed him to see treachery and dopplegangers when nobody else could, so even he bought it wholesale.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads