• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ruling: Ring of the Darkhidden

bleedthefreak

First Post
I have what may be a dumb question, but here goes:

I rolled up some random treasure for a vampiric sorcerer my players will have to face in this next weekends adventure, and I rolled up a Ring of the Darkhidden. For fun, and because it made morse sense, I let the Sorcerer use it.

However, one of the players is a Dwarf, and I got to thinking, won't that mean the ring will make the vampire invisible as far as the dwarf is concerned? That would be cool, since I didn't plan it, but on the otherhand, isn't that a little powerful? How would that work, since it isn't activated. So, is the vampire just improved invisible vs. dark vision creatures while this ring is in effect? You can't destroy the ring with magic (at this low level, they are around level 7 or so) and I know dispel magic won't make the ring not operate, will it? What will see invis do if it was cast? What will happen when the vampire takes an action?

I looked in the players book under the Race section for Dwarves, it didn't indicate Dwarves can see in "normal" vision, so I would assume no way around it like that, but even if there was a way around it like that, most creatures that see in darkvision don't have that sort of way around it (they see ONLY in darkvision) so suddenly this ring becomes way to powerful? Or am I missing something really obvious (probably)?

The Ring of the Darkhidden is from Magic of Faerun, and it allows the wearer to be invisible to darkvision, by the way. It isn't a super powerful ring (only about 3rd on the chart) and I rolled up 1 random medium item just for kicks for the players (this will be a *rough* fight actually) and I can always roll again and discard the ring, but I wanted to find out if there was another way first (I like the ring, and thought it would be fun, but yikes on further inspection.....)

Last edited:

smetzger

Explorer
Ring of Darkvision - thats a terrible name for the effect.

See DMG p 74.
The presence of light does not spoil Darkvision. If you stand within a 30 ft light then you see normally in the light and your Darkvision extends 30 ft beyonf the light.

So, a person with this ring would be invisible to someone with Darkvision when they are in that persons Darkvision range but not within the range of light.

IceBear

Explorer
Hmmmm - back when darkvision was infravision, I think most creatures with infravision could also see with normal vision too.

I don't have any references here, but I'd rule that the dwarf, and most other creatures, with darkvision could also see in normal mode too.

From what I remember in the books, darkvision only allows one to see in black and white and that would be a major roleplaying impact to dwarves that is not mentioned in any reference materials.

Thus, I'd say the dwarf would see with normal vision unless he was in an area of complete darkness. Then, he would see with darkvision.

IceBear

bleedthefreak

First Post
Ah ha

Sorry, ring of the darkhidden, not ring of darkvision (duh)

Okay, that is cool and makes sense, but still does that mean if the vampire is outside of torchlight, which means not only can't the dwarf see him but the others may not be able to as well, that if the vampire acts hostily (as vampires are want to do) that the dwarf still can't see him? Like improved invisibility that can't be dispelled?

I am especially concerned when a player gets this ring, actually, because they will fight something they know has darkvision and stay out of torchlight when fighting it. Yikes.

IceBear

Explorer
If he stays out of torch light when fighting it, then either all the other party members have darkvision too (and thus no torch), or he is outside of the torch light (what's that? 15 feet or 30feet away? and that's doubled for someone with lowlight vision). Whatever the range is, it forces the character to used ranged attacks only if he wants to stay hidden.

I don't know if this would become much of an issue - it would depend on your normal environment for adventures. Unless the party is in a natural cavern, many dungeons are lit by the inhabitants so darkvision may never be needed.

IceBear

smetzger

Explorer
Re: Ah ha

bleedthefreak said:
Sorry, ring of the darkhidden, not ring of darkvision (duh)

Okay, that is cool and makes sense, but still does that mean if the vampire is outside of torchlight, which means not only can't the dwarf see him but the others may not be able to as well, that if the vampire acts hostily (as vampires are want to do) that the dwarf still can't see him? Like improved invisibility that can't be dispelled?

You will have to post the full description of the item. I don't have T&B. Does it say its like invisibility or improved invisibility? Its probably like invisibility and you need a standard action to activate it, just like a ring of invisibility.

bleedthefreak

First Post
Sorry...

I don't have the book with me (I forgot it) but I can have a co-worker bring it in before he gets in (I will call him now)

However, I do know the ring makes no mention of a spell, it says simply (something like) "The bearer of this ring cannot be seen by means of darkvision/creatures with darkvision" something like that.

It didn't sound like it required activation?

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
If it works like a Ring of Invisibility, then the weaer becomes visible when he does anything that would normally break Invisibility. It takes a standard action to re-activate the ring after that.

If it says that it works like Improved Invisibility, then he is free to do whatever he wants and stay hidden. I don't have the actual item description handy.

Also note, from the SRD:
Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item indicates otherwise.

Last edited:

bleedthefreak

First Post
IceBear said:
If he stays out of torch light when fighting it, then either all the other party members have darkvision too (and thus no torch), or he is outside of the torch light (what's that? 15 feet or 30feet away? and that's doubled for someone with lowlight vision). Whatever the range is, it forces the character to used ranged attacks only if he wants to stay hidden.

I don't know if this would become much of an issue - it would depend on your normal environment for adventures. Unless the party is in a natural cavern, many dungeons are lit by the inhabitants so darkvision may never be needed.

IceBear

The problem is the Dwarf (who has darkvision and could stay out of torchlight) is the Mage of the party, so he could face a horde of darkvision creatures (who likely don't carry torches) and take them on indefinately (assuming they don't hear him and try to make listen checks for his position, a very difficult thing to do, I think the DC is like 20 + 1 /5 feet of distance)

IceBear

Explorer
bleedthefreak said:

The problem is the Dwarf (who has darkvision and could stay out of torchlight) is the Mage of the party, so he could face a horde of darkvision creatures (who likely don't carry torches) and take them on indefinately (assuming they don't hear him and try to make listen checks for his position, a very difficult thing to do, I think the DC is like 20 + 1 /5 feet of distance)

Where is the rest of the party while the dwarf is doing this? Do they have a light source to see? If the monsters are intelligent they may carry a light source as well. Just because the monster can see in the dark doesn't mean it doesn't need light - I don't think you can read with darkvision for instance, or to enjoy the rich colours of it's lair :p, etc. (I could be wrong with this interpretation, but I remember a thread on darkvision on the old boards and I think this was what was decided).

I'd try to keep the environment as well lit as possible to minimize the abuse of this item, and if it's still abused, change it so it works like a Ring of Invisibilty.

IceBear

Last edited:

Remove ads