• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rumors from Player's Guide to Faerun

da chicken

First Post
Heh. Persistant is just a wasted feat, now.

I remain of the opinion that it would be fine as a super-Extend. +4 levels for x10 duration and no restriction on what spells you can use it on.

Staffan

Legend
da chicken said:
I remain of the opinion that it would be fine as a super-Extend. +4 levels for x10 duration and no restriction on what spells you can use it on.
I've been considering a similar feat, +3 and bump the duration to the next category (rounds/level -> minutes/level -> 10 minutes/level -> hours/level -> days/level -> weeks/level).

Scion

First Post
Staffan said:
I've been considering a similar feat, +3 and bump the duration to the next category (rounds/level -> minutes/level -> 10 minutes/level -> hours/level -> days/level -> weeks/level).

I tried that same thing but with a +2, none of my players would even look at it :( They just didnt feel it was worth it for most spells still (since I left it requiring extend feat as a prereq)

Artoomis

First Post
Scion said:
I tried that same thing but with a +2, none of my players would even look at it :( They just didnt feel it was worth it for most spells still (since I left it requiring extend feat as a prereq)

Good. That sounds about right, then. When everyone wants it, it's probably too good.

Scion

First Post
Artoomis said:
Good. That sounds about right, then. When everyone wants it, it's probably too good.

So if everyone wants it then it is too good (which is untrue by the way), but if no one wants it then it doesnt need to be improved? Definately an odd way to think about things ;)

Artoomis

First Post
Scion said:
So if everyone wants it then it is too good (which is untrue by the way), but if no one wants it then it doesn't need to be improved? Definitely an odd way to think about things ;)

Actually, no, not really. That was a bit of an exaggeration on my part.

If everyone wants it it is indeed, too good. If everyone with a certain combination wants it, it may be fine - for example, Weapon Finesse is almost always taken by melee combat types with high Dex and low Str if they use finessable weapons.

If no one in your group wants it, it may be okay. If no one, anywhere, ever takes it, then it's in need of re-write.

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
By that standard, however, no feat would be too good (unless maybe you made a +10hp/level version of Toughness). Even if Spell Focus were +4 to DCs, non-spellcasters wouldn't take it. And even if weapon specialization were +6 to damage, only fighters would take it. Etc. People only want feats that are appropriate for their character's situation.

That, in itself, however, is not sufficient to say that a feat is over-powered. For instance, every reach weapon wielder wants combat reflexes (and a fair number of non-reach weapon characters too). That doesn't make it broken. Every fighter wants weapon specialization. That doesn't make it overpowered. Every conjurer is going to want Augment Summoning. That doesn't make it overpowered though. All of those feats are designed to be parts of certain character concepts and if they are universally popular in that role it means that the design succeeded not that the feat is over-powered.

Semi-universal desire for a feat is one indication that a feat could be overpowered; it is not prima facia evidence that a feat is overpowered.

Artoomis said:
If everyone wants it it is indeed, too good. If everyone with a certain combination wants it, it may be fine - for example, Weapon Finesse is almost always taken by melee combat types with high Dex and low Str if they use finessable weapons.

James McMurray

First Post
You're reading Artoomis too literally. I believe what he meant was "i every character the feat is appropriate for takes it" its too powerful. All offensive spellcasters would take Spell Focus if it were a +4 bonus. That would mean its too powerful. All fighters would take Weapon Specialization if it were +6 to damage (barring roleplaying reasons of course). That would mean its too powerful.

People that can't take a feat not taking it has no bearing on its power level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads