D&D Movie/TV RUMOUR: Netflix interested in developing a BALDUR'S GATE adaptation

Zardnaar

Legend
This is my mini One Piece review. I am coming from the perspective of being old, but also enjoying Anime from the 90s. One Piece is intended for a younger audience, and is about a new, young generation coming up to change the world. It is silly, and the main character is an aww-shucks sort of do-gooder who doesn't compromise even in the face of the worst situation. And I was expecting the show to make fun of this fact. It does, at the beginning, but he wins over other characters who are cynical and bitter as things progress.

The show is off the wall crazy at times. But it also has a lot of live action set pieces, and actors who know martial arts and can fight in ways that don't involve constant quick cuts. It has sailing ships, bars with neon signs, huge dragons, and communication by snail phones. That last one I still don't understand, but I went with it.

The show also has older characters, who I guess I consider my own generation. It treats them with respect and they learn and grow too.

The first few episodes didn't really click for me, but I kept going because I saw something about the show at the core and I found the second half of things to be really good.

In what may be the strangest analogy I've ever made, I think the main character, Luffy, is a sort of anime Ted Lasso, who only sees the best in people. And as cynical as I may seem sometimes in these posts, that type of character really reaches me.

So give it a watch and realize that it is going to be zany, but there are also characters who comment on that very fact. "All great warriors call out their moves in combat!" "No, they don't."

Fairly good description. Watched that and Sex Education last week or so.

mamba

Legend
OK, not sure why you replied if you didn't have first hand knowledge. Thank you for clarifying..
so my opinion is more valuable than an aggregate of opinions? You asked which one is the good one and which one the bad one out of the two, an aggregate seemed more relevant than my personal opinion ;)

Divine2021

Adventurer
God people complaining about other people’s opinions on a topic other than the one at hand is so freaking lame and so typical of nerd culture. Just stay on topic, nobody cares what you thought about One Piece or any other show.

Also, I highly doubt this rumor. Maybe there are talks going on or something, but major fantasy series are such a gamble, and Netflix writes and plots their shows by algorithms, not by any actual writerly skill. Maybe this rumor turns out to be true, who knows! But I won’t watch it most likely, despite loving Baldur’s Gate and Forgotten Realms lore.

dave2008

Legend
so my opinion is more valuable than an aggregate of opinions? You asked which one is the good one and which one the bad one out of the two, an aggregate seemed more relevant than my personal opinion ;)
No, first hand experience of people I have some contact with is more important to me than an aggregate opinion i can get online myself.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Honestly a series based on any of the BG games (including Dark Alliance) would be awesome.
I'd prefer one based on BG 1-2-ToB, but with a good dose of cameos even an original storyline could be fantastic.

Remove ads