Rumour that Disney will have to sell Lucas Film and some parks to pay for Hulu

The "nerds and normies" discourse is a little bit of an older people thing, the distinction is a lot more fuzzy among younger people.
That might be true in the US, but I think it's less true in the UK - it's absolutely not a jocks vs nerds thing, and tons of stuff crosses over, but there's a way people dress and culturally identify and so on that is fairly distinctive and it's fairly obvious even in younger people.

What changes though is what is considered to cross the boundary to be "nerdy" (which is now more an appropriative term than a pejorative one).

That's always been true, though. Even when I was a teenager, videogames went from being all "for nerds" to only some being that way, and basically most Playstation games weren't, for example. Stuff changes.

That might be true in the US, but I think it's less true in the UK - it's absolutely not a jocks vs nerds thing, and tons of stuff crosses over, but there's a way people dress and culturally identify and so on that is fairly distinctive and it's fairly obvious even in younger people.

What changes though is what is considered to cross the boundary to be "nerdy" (which is now more an appropriative term than a pejorative one).

That's always been true, though. Even when I was a teenager, videogames went from being all "for nerds" to only some being that way, and basically most Playstation games weren't, for example. Stuff changes.

"War, War never changes"

What I thought we were qouting stuff.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin

Stuff changes a lot. I had only heard "normie" when appropriated by reactionaries who claim to be the salt of the earth as a way to dosmiss people different from them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Stuff changes a lot. I had only heard "normie" when appropriated by reactionaries who claim to be the salt of the earth as a way to dosmiss people different from them.
"Normie" is a bit of a Britidh-ism...you'll see that from terminally online American reactionaries.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Where I sit, the word "normie" only comes up as a pejorative for people who aren't neurodivergent.
Actually, now that I think about it, the only person I've ever heard use the word "normie" spoken out loud is neurodivergent...but he was talking about people whose opinions about Marvel comics that he dislikes...

Remove ads