Rumour that Disney will have to sell Lucas Film and some parks to pay for Hulu

MGibster

Legend
It feels like the logic here is "Unless it plays out exactly like Star Wars, it has zero cultural impact", which is a pretty weird take, albeit a common one.
I never said it had zero impact. I said it didn't seem to have a big cultural footprint which I find odd given how successful the movies are.

MGibster

Legend
Honestly, it's a bit more simple than all that for me personally: the first movie was boring and super generic (if expensive), and I forgot everything about it after like a week?

The only reason anyone has ever given to me to see Avatar is to enjoy the special effects spectacle. Few people seem to care about the characters or the plot and this is why I think it'll never leave a deep cultural footprint. It just doesn't resonate with anyone on a particularly meaningful level. And goddamn it, now I feel like I should watch it if I'm going to talk about it like that.

nevin

Hero
I would be interested in an article with information about this. It makes no sense to me. Streaming services are struggling to even be profitable. Lucasfilm has been an immensely profitable division for Disney.

Further, not everything is always about money. Star Wars has been an immensely successful brand to include within the Disney banner. Bob Iger knows this quite well.

If there is truth to this, I would be interested in the rationale.

Well even with the numbers on most star wars films and tv shows not being as high as predicted, Lucas films owns so many patents for special effects that nearly all movies with special effects generate profits for them. So doubtful.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I think it is disquieting to say that nostalgia must form from child play patterns, and that the specific play pattern involves violence and glorifying war. I think that has little to do with Avatar not having nostalgia for it.
It's unsettling, but being honest there's hardly a scifi nostalgia inducing franchise that isn't violent, glorifies the army or involves the good guys having cool technologic toys. That's because little boys are attracted to that stuff, and after growing up, they go on to be the greatest demographic that buys nostalgia stuff. Sci fi franchises that fail to include these elements tend to not stick with boys, and franchises that subvert those requirements do fail. It happened with Small Soldiers, and it happened with Avatar. Kids didn't play with the toys, didn't form memories with the toys and didn't go on to become lifelong fans. At least not in big enough numbers.

Disney wouldn't sell a cash-cow among other reasons because it would seem they are too desperate to avoid bankruptcy. Before to happen this, the company would be acquired by a bigger fish.

Disney is not in its best economic moment. There were waves of layoff. Could it survive? Maybe, but I doubt it seriously if the prestige of the brand is so damaged. They have become too impopular, and you can't blame only the haters.

Honestly, it's a bit more simple than all that for me personally: the first movie was boring and super generic (if expensive), and I forgot everything about it after like a week?
Those who are tuned into geek culture have seen similar stories play out many times in Star Trek and Doctor Who. But Avatar didn't target geeks, it targeted the mainstream, and to them, it was less familiar.

Which also explains how come Avatar didn't spawn endless forum arguments over a banshee's power-to-weight ratio and the amount of damage it would take if it flew into the ground at maximum speed.

Last edited:

it's curious how many well-educated people will happily rant about how awful the British Empire was in India (and it was!), yet basically shrug at the utter horrors inflicted on the Native Americans, or even essentially suggest "they had it coming".
I think it would be dangerous to think of this as an American problem. The UK has it's own share of people who are outraged over any depiction of the British empire as anything other than a good and noble endeavour.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Those who are tuned into geek culture have seen similar stories play out many times in Star Trek and Doctor Who. But Avatar didn't target geeks, it targeted the mainstream, and to them, it was less familiar.

Which also explains how come Avatar didn't spawn endless forum arguments over a banshee's power-to-weight ration and the amount of damage it would take if it flew into the ground at maximum speed.
I suppose?

Zardnaar

Legend
I think it would be dangerous to think of this as an American problem. The UK has it's own share of people who are outraged over any depiction of the British empire as anything other than a good and noble endeavour.

That's more of a human thing. UK variety will be disappointed when the ANZACs annex them.

Remove ads