• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Run vs. Charge

LordRelkin

First Post
Okay seems my group is the only ones questioning this.

My question why use run in combat...?

My dwarf was in combat when two goblins appeared around a corner. They were 7 squares away. I ran to them 5+2 =7 and got a -5 to my attack and granting them combat advantage. Another party member who was 10 squares a way moved 5 squares and then charged 5 squares and attacked with a +1.

My original thought was that even though charge is a stadard action it was the combination of the move action and the std/attack done in the appropiate order and doing it in the straight line.

Group was split and DM didn't rule on it. Why would you ever run or double move if you have someone to attack at the end. It is very unbalancing in my opionon because it is stronger that some of the powers. Double move and then attack.

Thank you.

Dreadite

First Post

My original thought was that even though charge is a stadard action it was the combination of the move action and the std/attack done in the appropiate order and doing it in the straight line.

Group was split and DM didn't rule on it. Why would you ever run or double move if you have someone to attack at the end. It is very unbalancing in my opionon because it is stronger that some of the powers. Double move and then attack.

Thank you.

From the little experience we've had the reason to double run in combat is not to engage foes, but to distance yourself from them. The only people I've seen move long distances have been ranged classes trying to break away from the group so they can find a more advantageous location to attack from.

Charge is fairly strong, though. It does end your turn preventing you from holding back your future actions (minor action I guess...) and it does tend to provoke a hell of a lot of OAs since you MUST chose the most direct route to the charged target.

Griogre

First Post
As a general rule you don’t want to use run in combat because of the minuses. Where you might want to use it is when that is the only way to get to a monster, say to give someone else a flank. You may also want to use it when running away. Run is a single move action, so you can “double run” which gives you move x2 + 4.

Charge is strong, but it only gives a +1 now.

elecgraystone

First Post
You generally don't if you can help it.

My dwarf was in combat when two goblins appeared around a corner. They were 7 squares away. I ran to them 5+2 =7 and got a -5 to my attack and granting them combat advantage. Another party member who was 10 squares a way moved 5 squares and then charged 5 squares and attacked with a +1.

Nope, the move then charge is perfectly valid and legal.

Why would you ever run or double move if you have someone to attack at the end. It is very unbalancing in my opionon because it is stronger that some of the powers. Double move and then attack.
Normally you wouldn't run + attack since it's sub-par. Running is used mostly to get somewhere fast not to attack with. The combat modifiers are there if combat finds you. Lets say you are running down some goblins and some hidden ones jump out and attack, one moves for a flank giving you a OA. That's when the combat advantage and -5 attack comes in.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Running is intended to help you move quickly.

Charging is intended to help you close with a foe and attack them.

If you want to close with a foe and attack them, charge. Incidentally:there is no straight line rule in charge - charging around corners is perfectly valid. Also note that your turn ends after you complete your charge, even if you have another action left (ie - you could not charge a foe, then move. Nor could you move, charge a foe, then use inspiring word) so if you want to do something OTHER than attack your foe, charging is a bad idea.

With a charge you're limited to a basic attack. If you run, can't you theoretically use a different attack (and just have a limited chance to hit)?

Or if the enemy is far away, run, then charge.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
The best use of Run I've seen was to run, run, then action point to run again, so that the Rogue could circle around the level to flank the monster that was filling the passageway. On her next turn, she moved four spaces to the monster that was tied down by the party fighter and proceeded to bring the pain.

James McMurray

First Post
It's an always-on option for elves with the right feat. Other than that I don't think I've ever seen anyone run and attack, at least not when they actually needed to hit something.

chaotix42

First Post
The best use of Run I've seen was to run, run, then action point to run again, so that the Rogue could circle around the level to flank the monster that was filling the passageway. On her next turn, she moved four spaces to the monster that was tied down by the party fighter and proceeded to bring the pain.

Heh, that's pretty cool. I'm going to add this to my "List Of Things To Pull On The PCs."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads