• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Run While Slowed?

Kitirat

First Post
therefore, an elf with 7 speed, can theoretically charge across 18 squares to basic attack someone...

Slowed, that same elf instead could charge across 8 squares to do same... sound like a good tactic to me ;)

As a note, I belive Morrus's and everyone read of it follows the RAW better, but WOW that is worthless. An elf who could charge 18 will charge 18 because all the slowed effects are range 10 or less. So only in the lowest of circumstances does it ever come into play.

It will be one of only 2 house rules if the CSR ever changed their tune and let us know directly.

My other house rule incidently is charging requires you to always be moving towards your target throughout your turn. You can run around corner, etc, but you can not boomrang on them everyturn to get your vanguard or horned helm bonus. i.e. you can not shift 2 away and just charge right back into the same person every turn (this means you barbarians) It makes no sense and just seems rules abusive instead of in the spirit of the charge.

Kitirat

First Post
That relates to my next question: Can you double move run while slowed and get 8 squares? PHB pg. 284 says "When you double move, add the speeds
of the two move actions together and then move." So it seems to be the maximum you could move while running and taking a double move is 2 for the first move, 2 for the second move, and 2 for running, for a total of 6?

Actually by RAW I think your correct. By the CSR I spoke to, no, you can only move 2, period.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
As a note, I belive Morrus's and everyone read of it follows the RAW better,

I just want to be clear. There is no consensus on this issue. I read the other thread and this one, and there is no "everyone read of it". I don't understand this claim, first from Morrus and now you, that there was some answer reached. If there is, show me. It sure looks like, from the other thread and this one, there is no agreement at all, and in fact a small majority disagree with your view and Morrus's view (though not enough to me to be convincing one way or the other).

Last edited:

Mistwell

Which just goes to show how consistant CSR are at WOTC. you got yes it just reduces your speed to 2 (worthless IMO BTW), and we (3 different people got) , no it is 2 move max, period.

Do you have a link to the "three other people" answer?

Kitirat

First Post
I just want to be clear. There is no consensus on this issue. I read the other thread and this one, and there is no "everyone read of it". I don't understand this claim, first from Morrus and now you, that there was some answer reached. If there is, show me. It sure looks like, from the other thread and this one, there is no agreement at all.

The others I referred to were the 3-4 other people whom responded to this thread.

I think the issue is the CSR is giving out different responses and thus no concensus has yet been reached as the offical response is split in itself.

I wish ya luck in getting offical clairification.

See ya,
Ken

Mistwell

The others I referred to were the 3-4 other people whom responded to this thread.

I think the issue is the CSR is giving out different responses and thus no concensus has yet been reached as the offical response is split in itself.

See ya,
Ken

By my count, samursus and you got the same answer (you can move 2), while Jagdcarcajou got the opposite answer (you can move 4). So it's 2 to 1, not 3-4 to 1, from what I am seeing.

I think it's relevant only because if you do have a total of 5 responses from customer service and 4 are the same while 1 is different, I think that is a pretty compelling case to say that the 4 answers that agree are correct. But 2 to 1 doesn't seem all that compelling to me.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
As I read it...

If you are already Slowed, and you take the Run action, you can move 4 squares.

If you are not Slowed, and you take the Run action, and after 2 squares you trigger a readied action that imposes a Slow effect upon you, you stop.

The "If you're Slowed while moving, stop" clause doesn't apply unless the Slow effect takes place during the movement.

-Hyp.

Kitirat

First Post
I just want to be clear. There is no consensus on this issue. I read the other thread and this one, and there is no "everyone read of it". I don't understand this claim, first from Morrus and now you, that there was some answer reached. If there is, show me. It sure looks like, from the other thread and this one, there is no agreement at all.

See ya,
Ken

Mistwell

As I read it...

If you are already Slowed, and you take the Run action, you can move 4 squares.

If you are not Slowed, and you take the Run action, and after 2 squares you trigger a readied action that imposes a Slow effect upon you, you stop.

The "If you're Slowed while moving, stop" clause doesn't apply unless the Slow effect takes place during the movement.

-Hyp.

Lets say I take a double move run. After I have moved 2 squares of my double move run, someone with a readied action hits me with a slow. I stop. Do I have any actions remaining to move any more?

Remove ads