• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Run While Slowed?

On Puget Sound

First Post
Yes. A "double move" is two separate move actions; if the first is interrupted you still have an action left. For convenience and brevity we frequently say in play "I double move to this square" when we really mean "I move to this square, then move again to this one", but it's the same thing.

Quidam

First Post
Lets say I take a double move run. After I have moved 2 squares of my double move run, someone with a readied action hits me with a slow. I stop. Do I have any actions remaining to move any more?

I would say yes, because you never got to your second move action. According to the PHB you don't take a double move until you've taken two move actions and you've only taken one so far.

PHB said:
Same Move Action: To double move, you have to take the same move action twice in a row on the same turn.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
after four years in the rules forums here I have a tendency to trust hypersmurf.

2+2=4 running
Is the way I have been playing it, and yes slow is virtually useless. The only time it was remotely effective was in a fight with a duegar - he could turn invisble, but when slowed running made too much noise. PCs were able to guess where he was 2 of 3 times calculating 2 movement, or 4 as a double move.

If we did HR it as no running allowed - would it be a more useful condition?
That seems like something to ask my players.

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
Movement and speed are two different animals.

Armor reduces speed. Slow reduces speed. Fast Runner increases speed. Fleet footed increases speed.

Certain actions allow additional movement. Deft strike lets you move 2 squares before an attack, regardless of your speed. Knock Them Down allows allies to move 3 squares, regardless of their speed. Sudden Surge lets you move a number of squares equal to your dexterity modifier, regardless of your speed. Cause fear forces a target to move its speed + your charisma modifer. Cloak of Shadow lets you fly your speed + 2.

Running is one of these actions. It allows you to move your speed + 2. If you are slowed and your speed is 2, when you run you move 2+2=4.

Call it gut feeling, or the influence of years of miniature gaming, but this is how I read/interpret/play it.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Yes. A "double move" is two separate move actions; if the first is interrupted you still have an action left. For convenience and brevity we frequently say in play "I double move to this square" when we really mean "I move to this square, then move again to this one", but it's the same thing.

The double move becomes important when dealing with terrain that increases the cost of movement ... basically needing 1 pt of movement from your first move and from your second move to get into a square.

Kitirat

First Post
It's in the Q&A. Ask Wizards: 07/15/2008 Running while slowed is a 4 aquares.

There you have it. Useless. Insanely useless.
We've been playing as 2 squares period, except for forced movement, and it is a wonderful and balanced ability. Ray of Frost is often used to stop runners and is on par in many ways with some of the other spells for wizard.

Definately not changing this to "useless" 2+2 = 8 in my game.

-Avalon-

First Post
Not sure how this is useless...

Goblin runner, slowed, attempts to run for his life and alert other goblins to the presence of the intruders!

He goes 2+2 for first part, then 2+2 for second part, and has all the negatives for running full out...

Dwarf Fighter in full plate leisurely strolls after him for first move, 5, and charges on second half for 5, does not give up anything really... and whacks him in the head, marking him...

where is useless?

Remove ads