• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Runesmith issue

Jidai Geki

First Post
Hey,

My group is starting a new campaign next week, and I thought I'd mix it up and play something other than a Rogue for once, so I decided to be a Dwarven Wizard with an eye on the Runesmith PrC (Races of Stone).

One of my friends, who usually DM's but isn't this time around, is pedantic as hell on DnD stuff, and he reckons that a Runesmith cannot cast spells whilst wielding a weapon and shield, since he needs a hand free. I pointed out that a Runesmith's spells have no somatic components, but he insists that you need a hand free to take out/manipulate the material component (the rune itself).

The rules are remarkably fuzzy on what actually happens with material components and whether or not they are actually needed in hand for the spell, but it seems to me that other classes, such as Duskblades and Spellswords, seem to enjoy casting without needing hand-access to the material component.

Races of Stone states that "A Runesmith learns to prepare his spells as runes inscribed on solid objects (usually tablets, although other objects are possible). With that in mind, couldn't he just prepare the runes on the handles of his axe and shield? Once cast, they simply disappear without damaging the object upon which they're inscribed.

Everything else I've read on this board and others suggests Runesmiths can cast in full-plate, with a tower shield and weapon readied. My friend won't let this go, however, so I thought I'd get some input from others on this.

Dandu

First Post
Can you get an animated shield?
Can you get a buckler?
Can you use the Shield spell?
Can you take levels in Abjurant Chamion?

I would advise not using a physical shield if it hinders your ability to use a weapon with both hands. I find the extra damage to be worth the loss of AC.

As a spellcaster you have many ways of making yourself hard to hit. Shield, Alter Self for a troglodyte or tren form, Mirror Image, Greater Mirror Image, Haste, and other spells, for instance.

Dandu

First Post
This post has been found guilty on four charges of heresy and the cheesy optimization advice within has been censored by order of

THE SPANISH INQUISITION!
images

Last edited:

Jidai Geki

First Post
Even if I take a double-handed weapon, he'll still bitch about his belief that a spell with a material component requires a free hand to manipulate/brandish the component, even though the rules are not clear on whether or not they do. I'm more interested in whether or not I need a free hand to cast as a Runesmith. As I said, I figured that since they can be scribed anywhere, you should technically be able to scribe them on your shield/weapon/armour and cast them without a free hand.

Nagol

Unimportant
Use a light shield.

Shield, Light, Wooden or Steel: You strap a shield to your forearm and grip it with your hand. A light shield’s weight lets you carry other items in that hand, although you cannot use weapons with it.

That lets you hold/use the material components/foci necessary for your casting. You don't have motions since those are the somatic component.

Jidai Geki

First Post
Well, as I said earlier, the issue for me isn't taking an alternative to a tower shield, but rather whether or not I actually need to have the material component in hand. I've read nothing conclusive on the issue, and at the risk of repeating myself, I see no issue with scribing the runes directly to weapons/shields unless I'm overlooking something.

agrelic

First Post
Even if I take a double-handed weapon, he'll still bitch about his belief that a spell with a material component requires a free hand to manipulate/brandish the component, even though the rules are not clear on whether or not they do.

If you're wielding a two-handed weapon, it should only be a free action to let go with one hand long enough to cast a spell, and a free action to grab it back. Remember, it takes two hands to swing the weapon, not to hold it.

I'm preparing a possible Runesmith build and had this same question. I decided to avoid potential issues by using some of our house-rules to give myself unlimited shield spell, thus leaving a hand free for casting or wand work.

If you'd like some extra info on it, look at the 'Somatic Weaponry' feat in Complete Mage. The language strongly implies that a free hand is not necessary for manipulating a material component.

In addition, the PHB/SRD clarification on spell descriptions notes under "Somatic (S)" that you need a hand free to cast a spell with a somatic component. The Material component section does not say that.

Sadly, neither of these are definitive. However, they do point towards not needing a free hand for a material component. I personally like your idea of inscribing the runes on your shield.. its always there, and a weapon is more likely to be disarmed.

Jidai Geki

First Post
Thanks, that is a help. I wish there was something more definitive on the role of material components, but I think scribing to the shield will pretty much render it moot. The Runic magic description does say it can be inscribed on any solid object, and it doesn't damage the object when the spell is cast, so I'll just take that route.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I realize that this is the friend who USUALLY DMs, but this time, it's someone else's call. If the current DM is ok with it, than this guy is going to have to come to terms with that.

Remove ads