• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running a 3.5 Return to the Tomb of Horrors

Henry

Autoexreginated
Davmeister84 said:
Is it worth it for me to track down the actual boxed set, or should I just buy a .pdf file and have it printed out and bound at a Kinko's or somesuch?

Thinking of buying it here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1514&

Consider that your Emergency Backup option - there's nothing like the actual product, in this case. Just make sure if you get the Ebay one that it comes with ALL its parts, or at least most of them.

There would be, I believe:

--The soft-backed book (kind of a cardboard quality cover, but gloss)
--The illustration book
--A cardboard prop amulet
--I THINK it had a fold-out map, but can't remember
--A reproduction of the Original S1 Tomb of Horrors with the Pink cover.

gideonn

First Post
PDF v. box

Unless you are a real collector of D&D memorabilia, the PDF should be fine. Especailly considering the very low price. While the boxed set is beautiful, the big book is going to get, or will likely be, all bent out of shape. You can print the PDF out, you'll have easier access to pages, the maps, and I think it will be easier to handle. I don't see why you would want to get it bound, as that will just make it cumbersome.

I don't know what pirce you might get for the boxed set on Ebay, but the PDF seems a steal at $4.95, and you know it will be complete, without the box. And you don't have to print the entire PDF, just the parts you'll be running.

Even though I have the boxed set, which I have never used, I'd go with the download.

JJ

Davmeister84

First Post
gideonn said:
Unless you are a real collector of D&D memorabilia, the PDF should be fine. Especailly considering the very low price. While the boxed set is beautiful, the big book is going to get, or will likely be, all bent out of shape. You can print the PDF out, you'll have easier access to pages, the maps, and I think it will be easier to handle. I don't see why you would want to get it bound, as that will just make it cumbersome.

I don't know what pirce you might get for the boxed set on Ebay, but the PDF seems a steal at $4.95, and you know it will be complete, without the box. And you don't have to print the entire PDF, just the parts you'll be running.

Even though I have the boxed set, which I have never used, I'd go with the download.

JJ

True, but I'm a stickler for having the real stuff and not printed versions. I don't suppose you'd want to get rid of the boxed set by selling it to me, would you?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Sounds good to me - but look over the challenge ratings of the opening monsters and challenges, and be sure that the party could handle them. If you have the conversion document, you should have enough to gauge that.

the Jester

Legend
Davmeister84 said:
Incidentally, is 13th level with starting DMG gold and a 32 point buy a good kickoff point for this shindig?

Bear in mind that one of the major sections in the middle has a nice population of CR 23 monsters.

I based the CR's of everything around the demilich and the winter-wights, and custom modified everything. I believe my party was prolly 15th-21st when they started RrrToH (skipping completely almost everything before the Tomb itself).

Arnwyn

First Post
Davmeister84 said:
Given that, what exactly would I need to have on-hand to run a 3.5 version of it? I'll obviously need the 3.5 core books and the 3.5 conversion that's up in the Conversions subforum, but what else will be needed?
I recommend Libris Mortis, as a few monsters in RttToH are found in there (and it will help you in both adjudicating as well as customizing sections of that module). Not necessary in any way, of course, but very useful.

It's a great, great adventure.

(But be aware of the CRs and ELs when converting - it doesn't support a straight 2e -> 3e level conversion at all.)

gideonn

First Post
Box v PDF

Davmeister84 said:
True, but I'm a stickler for having the real stuff and not printed versions. I don't suppose you'd want to get rid of the boxed set by selling it to me, would you?

Sorry, but, ahem, I am a real collector, of pre 3.0 stuff. But in the new world of 3.0, 3.5 and whatever else they have in store, I am willing, and even prefer, the PDFs. Hard drives and CDs are bigger than my basement.

Henry

Autoexreginated
But in the new world of 3.0, 3.5 and whatever else they have in store, I am willing, and even prefer, the PDFs. Hard drives and CDs are bigger than my basement.

Agreed, under most circumstances. However, if one can find it, the Boxed set is WELL worth it over the PDF, for the props if nothing else, because it is very likely image quality was sacrificed for protability, and a printout will not have the same level of quality for that reason.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads