• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running adventures in systems that they were not designed for.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
This is off the top of my head:
I have some other OSE adventures I could use with my homebrew system if they fit the situation — compatibility (in the form of convertibility) with B/X material is one of the goals. Nothing calls for it currently though, so I’m not going to (and, per the system’s intent, shouldn’t try) force it.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The oddest mix I did is nearly 2/3 of the way through the Age of Worms campaign in 3.5 I had to bring it to an early end due to some real life demands that needed attention. A few years later most of the same group returned to the adventure path, but I ran it in Dresden Files via modern day Chicago. The new PCs were all echos of their earlier selves. Given how PC driven that game is I cannot say it followed the adventure path exactly, but I did keep using it to help me develop obstacles for the group to overcome. Sadly we never got to play the final session due to more real life issues so now my Dresden campaign had Kyuss ruling Chicago....

Oh, yeah! That's what I'm talking about!

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I have never done it, but I have always wanted to find a good cyberpunk adventure (Shadowrun or CP20**) and run it in Eberron using the Dragonmarked houses in the place of whatever megacorps are involved. I know Eberron says pulp action on the tin, but it gives me big cyberpunk vibes in the same way the show Arcane did.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I have never done it, but I have always wanted to find a good cyberpunk adventure (Shadowrun or CP20**) and run it in Eberron using the Dragonmarked houses in the place of whatever megacorps are involved. I know Eberron says pulp action on the tin, but it gives me big cyberpunk vibes in the same way the show Arcane did.

That's a great observation re: Eberron and I absolutely agree.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I don't use adventures much, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I'd postulate that the biggest issues would be adventures dependent on the presence--or lack--of certain technological or magical systemic features.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I don't use adventures much, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I'd postulate that the biggest issues would be adventures dependent on the presence--or lack--of certain technological or magical systemic features.

This is less an issue than you'd think, dependent upon the system and adventure. For instance, in the case of Witchburner, it assumes the presence of magic, but not with specificity (so any old magic system will do). I think the same is probably true of the Age of Worms conversion previously mentioned, as well (I'm sure some adaptation was required, but I'm also sure it wasn't especially difficult). And, of course, Shadowrun is basically D&D set in a dystopian future, so adventures for that system would probably be right at home in Eberron.

Thomas Shey

Legend
This is less an issue than you'd think, dependent upon the system and adventure. For instance, in the case of Witchburner, it assumes the presence of magic, but not with specificity (so any old magic system will do). I think the same is probably true of the Age of Worms conversion previously mentioned, as well (I'm sure some adaptation was required, but I'm also sure it wasn't especially difficult). And, of course, Shadowrun is basically D&D set in a dystopian future, so adventures for that system would probably be right at home in Eberron.

Yes, but a SR scenario would assume certain technological/magical resources available that very well might have no equivalent in a low-magic fantasy game or a modern period game without super technology or magic. Conversely, the higher magic of Shadowrun might well bypass one or more obstacles in adventures done for those games without effort.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Yes, but a SR scenario would assume certain technological/magical resources available that very well might have no equivalent in a low-magic fantasy game or a modern period game without super technology or magic. Conversely, the higher magic of Shadowrun might well bypass one or more obstacles in adventures done for those games without effort.

That's fair, but nobody made the case for using Shadowrun adventures in a low-magic fantasy game or modern period game without super technology or magic. In fact, the exact opposite case was made. ¯\(ツ)

TheSword

Legend
I’m having a lot of fun running various D&D adjacent games in the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay system. Notably Skull and Shackles from Pathfinder 1 is much more fun in that grittier system. Currently converting Dragonheist and Keys from the Golden Vault for similar reasons.

I’ve also converted many Paizo games to D&D 5e. That’s pretty easy, as is converting most things to 5e.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I’m having a lot of fun running various D&D adjacent games in the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay system. Notably Skull and Shackles from Pathfinder 1 is much more fun in that grittier system. Currently converting Dragonheist and Keys from the Golden Vault for similar reasons.

I did something similar with Rolemaster several years ago. The adventures are still very playable, but RM's deadlier combat definitely changed how they played at the table.

Remove ads