• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Running D&D Modules with 5th Ed

Ultramegolas

First Post
Hi thinking of running B6 Veiled Society followed by B10 Night's Dark Terror and drawing on GAZ1 for reference. I'm not trying to simulate an old school game, just like the feel of the adventures and settings. I know there's talk of conversion rules to easier port old material to 5th ed but in the meantime I would be very glad of any advice that could be offered.
My concept for the Campaign is folk arriving in Specularium with the hope of conquering the frontier of this newly fledged country.

rjfTrebor

Banned
Banned
the veiled society was actually one of the very first adventures i ran in 5e back when the playtest first started. you should be fine just subbing out the adventure's stats for creatures with 5e's equivalent. i'm not as experienced with the other modules, but veiled society is really more of an exploration and interaction story so there's not much work porting it over.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
I suggest that you recreate encounters rather than simply converting. Think about how tough a combat should be, then add 5e monsters that are similar to the original until you get an encounter that is at the difficulty you want. (You can even reskin a monster, e.g., use the stats of a hobgoblin for a tough human guard.) There are a couple of online encounter calculators to use, I think.

Shiroiken

Legend
I recommend the opposite. Use the written monsters where you can, and then check the encounter strength. If you feel something is too weak or strong, remove/add monsters as needed. Sometimes there's nothing wrong with "pointless" encounters with a single weak monster, so don't feel restricted by the guidelines (they are only guidelines). If you need to reskin something, try to find something that's a near match and adapt the monster as needed. If there isn't anything, just make it using the rules in the DMG.

I think the biggest issue with running old adventures is treasure. I prefer a smaller economy, so I usually drop the coin value by a factor of 10. Magic Items have changed in power and availability, so make sure to consider changing or removing many of the magic items.

Ultramegolas

First Post
Thanks for the advice. For B6 I'm thinking I can use refluffed Red Cloaks from the Starter Set adventure and alter the weird mini-dungeon of connecting cellars. I don't think I'll go into any real number crunching but will keep a close eye on encounter deadliness and magical items.

guachi

Hero
Huh... I was thinking of doing to same, myself. Finally got a group together. I hope to drop hints of The Master (from X4, X5, X10) being behind the scenes so they hate him by the time X4 comes around.

Like was said earlier, a lot of B6 is social/exploration and converting the monsters should be easy. They are either humans with classes or easy humanoids (except that flower thingy...)

B10 has tons of goblins, so that should also be fairly easy. By the time you get to the Lost Valley you should have no problem with the other monsters, I'd think.

I (and probably others) have the modules handy and if you posted your conversion I'm sure we could give our thoughts.

soulcatcher78

First Post
Do you reckon LMoP could fit into Mystara /Karameikos?

No reason why it couldn't. There's enough unexplored space Karameikos to make it work. If you're using the boxed set (2nd Edition AD&D?) version of the setting you'll have plenty to work with. I don't have a copy of the GAZ version but I'm sure it would work out fine if that's what you're using as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads