Running dungeons with high level PCs (my players don't read - and yes, I'll know!)

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Does anyone own AEG's Dungeons and remember much of the contents? I haven't opened mine in over a year (haven't been running up until recently, and my game so far is wilderness - village - sea - city - and soon jungle) so I don't recall if it would be useful for this situation...

But if it had what I think it had within it should be a handy resource. That or a book like it.

Bloodsparrow

First Post
die_kluge said:
So, yes, dungeons can be made *too* difficult.

But they could also be made too easy.

I recently ran my first game as DM. It was a capture/escape adventure for a bunch of level 10's.

For some god unknown reason, I wanted to give my players "freedom". I don't mean freedom for their characters per sae. But freedom to choose which way they wanted to go when the chance for escape presented itself.

I basically took an updated, leveled up, and switched around version of A4 and mashed it together with an updated, leveled up, and switched version of "The Scar" (the adventure from Dungeon that was the model adventure for the Dungeoncraft articles). I basically put the temple from The Scar over the tunnels from A4 and punched holes in the floor so they could have a choice of going through the temple or through the tunnels...

They managed to avoid every encounter by going either over or under it...

In retrospect, I should have mixed it up and moved an encounter into them, but I was playing it honest...

So there you go. In DM'ing... Honesty will get you no where. :D

Last edited:

argo

First Post
TiQuinn said:
I had the beholder moving around quite a bit, occasionally closing his eye to allow the reverse gravity to come back on in a particular area if he wanted to. Just when the PCs got comfortable with the gravity effects (using fly spells, feather fall, and the like), the beholder would open central eye again, and dispel it all.

Heh, but does your beholder fight with a switchblade? :D
http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=010723

Remove ads