Running Epic Tier Campaigns

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I've been upping my monster damage by about +5 per tier per attack and this has worked out nicely in amping up the threat level. However, now WotC is publishing all their new monsters using new amped up numbers.

Thats good, but I used to just mentally add the damage, now I have to figure out if the monster I'm running is post MM3 and to remember not to add the bonus damage because it would make them too tough.

While I appreciate WotC recognizing the problem, its kind of made my job a little more difficult as DM now.

Jack99

Adventurer
I've been upping my monster damage by about +5 per tier per attack and this has worked out nicely in amping up the threat level. However, now WotC is publishing all their new monsters using new amped up numbers.

Thats good, but I used to just mentally add the damage, now I have to figure out if the monster I'm running is post MM3 and to remember not to add the bonus damage because it would make them too tough.

While I appreciate WotC recognizing the problem, its kind of made my job a little more difficult as DM now.

Yeah, same here. While I have been using another method to up their damage, my problem is the same. But, I am glad they are addressing the issue. Hopefully, we will get a MB & Compendium update of all the old monsters - now that would rock.

Markn

First Post
My gut feeling on this, is that it won't happen. When the Essentials line releases, the product Monster Vault has a description that talks about new variations of old monsters. This is how I expect them to update the old monsters to the latest damage/defense/HP thresholds.

On the other hand, I hope they at least update all the old monsters to the new stat block - but I'm not holding my breath on that either.

Markn

First Post
Like I said, I hope thats the case. However, I have yet to see anything official about them updating the old statblocks. To my knowledge, the quote was something along the lines of "we are implementing the new stat blocks", which could be taken as, we are having issue adding the MM3 monsters to the Adventure Tools. Everything else I have read has been rampant speculation from fans!

Jack99

Adventurer
Like I said, I hope thats the case. However, I have yet to see anything official about them updating the old statblocks. To my knowledge, the quote was something along the lines of "we are implementing the new stat blocks", which could be taken as, we are having issue adding the MM3 monsters to the Adventure Tools. Everything else I have read has been rampant speculation from fans!

Fair enough. I could of course be wrong, but I am pretty certain Bisland confirmed it on Twitter.

It just makes more sense that they would simply add new monsters with improved damage etc. vs effectively putting out a whole new MM1 and MM2 as a giant errata. Plenty of people will want to continue to use the existing stat blocks at least in the near term anyway. Existing encounters are balanced around the existing damage, etc. Much more straightforward to just leave Orc Berzerker as it is and introduce a new monster, Orc Marauder or something that is basically the same thing but with the improved stats. I suspect a lot of people in any case aren't that worried about heroic tier monsters for the most part and may even prefer the older ones in some cases.

Its like with MM2, the MM1 solos didn't get any updates then either even though all the newer solos were obviously improved and use DMG2 guidelines.

Aegeri

First Post
Basically. Also I'd like to strongly emphasize that most heroic monsters, even those in the original MM1 and MM2 are still perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with them and we're getting new heroic tier Orcs with HS2 anyway. It isn't any effort to remember to increase brute accuracy by +2 and reduce soldiers by -2. In fact almost everything is +5 vs. AC and +3 vs. NADs as a baseline. It's pretty straightforward overall actually and really the big flaw in MM1 and MM2 creatures is their powers once you increase the damage.

Paragon and epic monsters seem easily fixed just by doubling the static damage. It's more that some of the original MM1 and MM2 creatures are not very well designed and so need some "help" beyond just increasing their damage and really do need better powers (some of the original MM1/MM2 devils and daemons are a bit like this).

Last edited:

brainstorm

First Post
Great thread

This thread is what WotC should be doing in their Dungeon articles; taking player feedback regarding issues with the game and providing solutions. The original poster did something that, I'm ashamed to say, I didn't have the courage to do, and that is fix his game rather than quit it. I began noticing problems with my 4e campaign towards the end of Heroic Tier and at the start of the Paragon Tier. Frustrated with the long, grindy combats due to less than threatening monsters, and having tried multiple "fixes", I finally stopped the game altogether. I kept using the guidelines from the DMG and some suggesions from message boards like this, but I failed to address the issues specifically impacting my own game. The OP has really inspired me to relook at my game and give it another go. I'm bookmarking this thread for future reference!

Stalker0

Legend
Players resist too much elemental damage

I will completely agree with this one.

To me, the main culprit is ongoing damage. Resistances often completely negate ongoing damage, which for many monsters is main source of their power.

A simple houserule I may institute in my next game is this:

1) Resistances are halfed against ongoing damage.

Its a quick, clean fix...and there's a very good flavor reason for it.

Try putting on an oven mitt, stick your hand in an oven at 500 degrees and then pull it back out quickly. This is like getting hit with a fire attack, and your hand probably won't even feel warm.

Now lower the oven to 300, put your hand back in and let it sit for 10 seconds. This is likely ongoing continuous damage, and I bet your hand will be a bit more uncomfortable.

Remove ads