• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Davelozzi

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Seriously, reread the old one and the new one within the span of a few days. I think the new one's no less gothic than the original--in fact, it's more so in some cases. (No one's a bigger fan of puns than I, but the old joke names on the tombs seriously shattered the mood.)

I just read both over the past couple days and I definitely think that I6 has way more of a gothic flavor. You are certainly correct about the tomb names (and the this section of the adventure is much improved in the new version) but that's really the only area where the change adds to the gothic tone. Don't get me wrong, the new adventure has some cool stuff worth adopting (the warlock scene comes to mind, as similar to but much better developed than the witch version in I6), but overall the selection (and sheer amount) of monsters takes away from the flavor more than adds, at least in my opinion.

In many ways, this update reminded me of the free update of Tomb of Horrors that WotC posted last year - in particular, Bruce Cordell has a tendency in both to try to elbow too many of his own new undead creations into the adventure, even when they don't necessarily fit well.

Last edited:

Davelozzi

Explorer
Also, did anyone else notice that in the last handful of encounters, the text often refers you to the conclusion of the adventure, when there really is no conclusion beyond the encounter itself? Does anyone know if there was a page that got cut, possibly akin to the optional ending included in I6?

Davelozzi said:
I just read both over the past couple days and I definitely think that I6 has way more of a gothic flavor. You are certainly correct about the tomb names (and the this section of the adventure is much improved in the new version) but that's really the only area where the change adds to the gothic tone. Don't get me wrong, the new adventure has some cool stuff worth adopting (the warlock scene comes to mind, as similar to but much better developed than the witch version in I6), but overall the selection (and sheer amount) of monsters takes away from the flavor more than adds, at least in my opinion.

Fair enough, even if I disagree. But then, I've always felt that the original RL module aimed far higher than it actually hit, in terms of true Gothic/horror feel. Don't get me wrong, it was, and is, a great module (mostly). But I think it's great more for its potential than its actuality, and more for its ideas than its execution.

Davelozzi said:
Also, did anyone else notice that in the last handful of encounters, the text often refers you to the conclusion of the adventure, when there really is no conclusion beyond the encounter itself? Does anyone know if there was a page that got cut, possibly akin to the optional ending included in I6?

I did notice that, actually. :\

Endur

First Post
Davelozzi said:

I'm just using the optional ending from I6. But yes, I agree, they forgot the ending.

Treebore

First Post
Guys, I have both played in and ran the Ravenloft I-6 module. The Goth feel was largely determined by the DM rather than elements in the module. Just like running the Ravenloft setting, the Goth feel was largely helped by me, using dim lighting, music, candles, etc... had much more effect on the "Goth feel" my players felt than anything in the I-6 module or the setting rules of Ravenloft.

So this idea that I-6 has a "Gothic" feel to it is more to do with the art/presentation than how the module is written. To get more than that the DM needs to add Goth elements to the game room. As well as the characterizations they (the DM) presents via role playing.

But the Gothic elements actually written in the module do very little for the flavor. Its the DM's ability to tell a story and play characters, as well as manipulating the atmosphere of the game room, that really gives the "Gothic feel".

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Treebore said:
I see what you ar saying, but I feel I can easily put the "Gothic" feel back in it, so that aspect doesn't bother me. Besides, I am looking to run the original I-6 with stuff added in from this book. So I think it will be very easy to get and keep the Gothic feel in my particular case.

As another poster said, GMs have their part in setting the right mood - with candles, etc.

But still I feel there were way too much aberations and demons added to this version to make it gothic. It's a fantasy adventure with horror aspects, but not gothic horror IMHO.

Mouseferatu said:
You know, I'm a huge Ravenloft fan. I own both the new "Expedition" module and a reprint of the original. And I've read them both recently.

And I have to say, I think any "gothic adventure" feel the original has over the new one is purely a combination of nostalgia and the fact that it hadn't been done before, in D&D, back when the original came out.

Seriously, reread the old one and the new one within the span of a few days. I think the new one's no less gothic than the original--in fact, it's more so in some cases. (No one's a bigger fan of puns than I, but the old joke names on the tombs seriously shattered the mood.)

OK, let's forget the puns :)

I did reread I-6 before EtCR came out, then bought EtCR the day it came out. And gave it a good week read.

Surely, I-6 has a mystique to it. It was so different when it came out (it had a plot! ;) ).

But still the original had the right feel to it. I don't know how, but it had the right atmospherics in it, you could well imagine it.

I didn't really felt the same when reading EtCR. While I liked the encounters around the castle, the inside was leaving an impression it lacked a believable feel. Too much abberations and demons, but something was missing about the feel too. It didn't feel dusty enough :)

In I-6, many rooms where empty and dusty (these were filled in EtCR, which is a mistake IMHO). But still those empty rooms had an eerie description for it, so you could well imagine the dust everywhere and the bleak light.

Joël

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
Joël of the FoS said:
But still I feel there were way too much aberations and demons added to this version to make it gothic. It's a fantasy adventure with horror aspects, but not gothic horror IMHO.

Too many monster encounters in Expedition. And even I-6 had too many monster encounters and could have been reduced to just one (The Count).

Ian Demagi

Explorer
What is the party composition?

Talmun-great thread.

What is the party compoistion? I saw 2 clerics and a paladin-If I missed it apology in advance, Ian.

Talmun

First Post
Long time coming...

So I’m reviving this old thread because I feel I orphaned it. I had some personal issues come up that interfered with my ability and desire to update the thread, or indeed participate on this or any other message-board.

However, I am back, more or less. The Ravenloft game that this thread was started to discuss did continue, and in fact is almost over. Additionally I am running the same adventure for another group of friends, and they are about one-third of the way through.

So, if there is interest, I can pick this thread up again and give my thoughts on the module and answer any questions there might be. If not, we can put the thread to bed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads