• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running gags in the campaign

Alhazred

First Post
Several campaigns ago (2e campaign, actually), the party crossed paths several times with a gnome rogue (er, thief) who always introduced himself as "Alnor, with a 'K'". Actually, his name was Alnor Withakay but, well, what looks fine on paper is not always so when spoken aloud. The party would ask him how he spelled his name, to which he would reply "A-L-N-O-R". They'd ask about the 'K'. He'd become confused. There'd be shouting and Alnor would storm off. The whole scene would be replayed whenever the party encountered Alnor.

The players eventually figured out what was happening, but everyone was having so much fun that the characters never wised up! Great times.

astralpwka

www.khanspress.com
In an old 2nd Ed game, I used reoccurring bugbears.

"You! You killed my brother!" New ones would continually show up each week, seeking to avenge the previous week.

We also had a reoccurring NPC wererat, but it was so long ago, I don't remember why...

DamionW

First Post
In our 2e Spelljammer campaign, we frequently found o0urselves at a loss of MUs to power the helms of our warfleet, so we'd putout ads looking for MUs in the port town. No matter what Crystal Sphere, or what planet, we'd always get responses from first level mages titled "Alexander the Awesome," Tom the Terrible" or "Max the Magnificent." They were all pimply-faced, whiny teenagers that were thouroughly useless as both combat characters and as pilots for our ship, but they were EVERYWHERE. It made us believe they breeded by spores, landing on a planet, spreading their filth and then blasting off.

Vorput

First Post
I dunno if this is a running gag per say, but I've made it a point of my characters runnning into bards at inns/taverns who sing and tell tales of the exploits of past characters they've played every once in a while...

Makes for some good nostalgia :)

Ambrus

Explorer
Alhazred said:
Several campaigns ago (2e campaign, actually), the party crossed paths several times with a gnome rogue (er, thief) who always introduced himself as "Alnor, with a 'K'". Actually, his name was Alnor Withakay but, well, what looks fine on paper is not always so when spoken aloud.
ARGH! I hate the Withakays! Years ago I played with a inexperienced Monte Haul DM who's favorite pet NPCs were all brothers of the "Withakay" family. Kodiac Withakay the ranger, Kevin Withakay the fighter, Kris Withakay the bard, etc... The DM kept saddling the lot of them with our party because he wanted to play too. Damn scene stealing, treasure looting Withakays...
:mad:

ThirdWizard

First Post
Alhazred said:
Several campaigns ago (2e campaign, actually), the party crossed paths several times with a gnome rogue (er, thief) who always introduced himself as "Alnor, with a 'K'". Actually, his name was Alnor Withakay but, well, what looks fine on paper is not always so when spoken aloud.

I am so stealing that.

Vorput

First Post
I dunno if this is a running gag per say, but I've made it a point of my characters runnning into bards at inns/taverns who sing and tell tales of the exploits of past characters they've played every once in a while...

Makes for some good nostalgia :)

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Our running gag has always been when looting a body, if there's nothing of consequence, whoever's DM'ing says, "All you find is a dead robin, a canned ham, and a ball of string."

Another is the elvish word for mastodon is "shih-tzu". Elven nobles hunt and ride shih-tzu's for sport.

Remove ads