• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running Gags

Richards

Legend
I was playing in an Eberron game when the warforged fighter in our party was knocked unconscious, and we couldn't get to him to revive him. Every round, when the DM would go around the table and ask what each player's PC was doing, when he got to the warforged player he had forgotten that he was still unconscious.

"What are you doing?" he'd ask the player.

"1010101010," the warforged player would respond, figuring that his PC was dreaming in binary code.

When the battle was finally over and we were able to revive the warforged, I turned to the player and asked him if it was true that warforged dream of electric sheep.

Johnathan

wolfpunk

First Post
HMM had a few over the years.

Every Inn is called the "Cleaved Boar Inn"

Every campaign has a NPC named Brigger, whose goal is to start a fight that ends up with him in a Brig with one or more of the PCs.

In a Stargate game one of the players had a character who was into extreme sports, and so any time he made a climb, jump, or swim check he would attempt some sort of stunt, and if he made it he would say in a stoned surfer voice, "that was EXTREEEEEME!" He also liked fire, and after a near death experience with a stream of lava, yep, "that was EXTREEEEEME!"

And then there was the time the party was exploring some caves and they found a firepit with some chicken bones in it. As a joke the party wizard animated the bones so that they were dancing around. So when the Paladin comes into the room and sees the dancing chicken bones, what does he say, "What Fowl magic is this!"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One guy in our game group was playing a TechnoWizard in the RIFTS campaign being run at the time, but nobody in the group could remember the PC's name, so everyone started calling him "Scooter"...which has become the generic nickname for ALL of his PCs since then.

Pierce

First Post
"Brocolli" = crap roll on Spot or Listen. From way back at the start of our group. DM asked for Spot checks and someone (I think it was me, actually) rolled a 2. So the responses were something like:

DM: Roll spot checks
Player 1: *roll* 18!
Player 2: *roll* 13...
Player 3 (me): *roll* Whatever it is, I don't spot it. But I do spot some brocolli on the side of the trail.

"Its name is Bob" = great roll on Spot or Listen. Soon after the Brocolli comment, another player got a natural 20 on a Spot check, so he replied "not only do I spot it, but its name is Bob!"

"Berk" = rolling a 3. One guy had a half-orc named Berk. For an entire night, all he rolled on a d20 was 3. I kid you not.

"Can't hear! Helicopter!" Said when you do something without caring about the consequences.

"Yeah, but I've got the good stick" Arguing over who has the crappiest equipment. The GM threw us into a situation wher no one had any equipment and we ended up scavenging sticks and rocks for weapons. We tried to finagle a masterwork stick by asking if any of the sticks laying around were particularly well crafted. :)

Corbert

Explorer
Got another quote from a player in last nights game thats sure to be a running gag. The fighter character has dedicated himself to Pelor, and after going to a local magic shop he went to a temple of Pelor for a blessing.

While there he wanted to know if they had anything he could get to help fight evil, and asked "Is there a Pelor store?"

Remove ads