• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running games for one (or two) PCs

themaxx

First Post
I have a little brother (12 years old) who is into gaming, into following in my footsteps, and actually fairly competent at it (as some from around here can attest). He would love to get more gaming going on when we spend time together.

I'm a decent DM when it comes to running stuff, but I'm a terrible writer (mostly in a work-ethic and motivation sort of way). I can't actually stick with my own ideas enough to fully flesh them out.

I ask you, oh masses of ENWorld:
Are there some good adventures/guidelines/pdfs or other things for me to use to run a game for one or maybe two players?

I included the preface because the obvious answer ("Write it yourself") occurs to me and most people, but is not really feasible here. I need some outside help, and I'm hoping you all can point me the in the right direction.

Seppi thanks you in advance. :D

Wicht

Hero
For solo adventures, plan on confronting a PC with CR's of about 1/3 of the character level. This means that a 3rd or 4th level character could probably manage to get through any 1st level group module.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Supporting NPCs are a good idea too. His character should make friends with a couple of NPCs that are willing to tag along on his adventures. A cleric and a rogue would probably be the most useful at first.

As NPCs, you can keep them in the background, letting him still be the star of the show. You also get him used to working with the different classes by allowing each to play to their strengths. Otherwise, a single PC can be in trouble by not having certain abilities or being forced to multi-class beyond what they're comfortable with (generally, I don't recommend multi-classing for new players anyway).

themaxx

First Post
Wicht: thanks for that guide. I have a bunch of Dungeon magazine games, RPGA things, and various other stuff I can run him through, but I've never tried to recalibrate them.

Greatwyrm: Yes, I definitely will be using NPCs. I think he'll go Paladin, so having a Cleric along, maybe a wizard, makes sense. I could work a Rogue in there too. Then we're up to a whole party, which makes the earlier point moot.

I do want to focus on gameplay for one character, because often puzzles or other situations that are excellent with 4 to 6 players will just flop with 1. I know I've seen (in the past) some modules designed for one person, but I can't remember what or where.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
themaxx said:
I do want to focus on gameplay for one character, because often puzzles or other situations that are excellent with 4 to 6 players will just flop with 1. I know I've seen (in the past) some modules designed for one person, but I can't remember what or where.

In the late 80s early 90s there was a whole series of 1 on 1 adventures. It was called "Thief's Challenge", "Fighter's Challenge", etc. Ebay or google will serve you well--you might even be able to find PDFs on WotC's site.

1 on 1 is my favorite gaming style. That's how I spent most of my youth. I remember one marathon session during the summer that lasted for over 72 hours straight. As each night faded to dawn and the birds started chirping, the adventure got more and more incoherent. On the plus side, the hallucinations caused by sleep deprivation really enhanced the roleplaying.

Ah, to be young again, and able to subsist on a diet of Mountain Dew and aging pizza (of increasingly dubious quality). Nowadays I'm lucky to game for 8, 9 hours at a time.

Sigh.

Anyway, yeah, check out the Challenge series. And do make use of NPCs--both hirelings and followers. You don't need the Leadership feat in order to have some NPCs decide to be your PC's friend. :)

-z

Shallown

First Post
MY advice is sort of like Write it yourself but I'll give you a hand.

Run mostly city based type stuff. Reasons being
that 1-2 characters can operate in a city better than a whole party
Help, should they need it is close at hand,
Its easier to imagine since most people have experience with cities and city life even if only through TV.
You don't have to be exacting and worry about details. Example - Character wants to know the closest Pawn type shop their character would probably just know not have to pull out a map and chart a course.
Coming up with personalities isn't hard if you use the old cheat of basing them on someone you know or have met. Example - The Thieves Guild contact is based on a friend from school etc.
Its also easier to take the daily headlines from your local news paper and create adventures around them. Mostly just change the names and locales and the story remains the same.
Also if they are part of an organization from palace guard to Thieves guild members you can have an organization that can help guide them.
Also Not as much prep for actual Role-playing versus dungeon crawl wilderness encounters write ups. Most Npc's don't need stats or levels to run them.

Hopefully this helps. Not the answer you might be looking for but hopefully food for thought.

Later

dagger

Adventurer
You brought back some fond memories Zaruthustran......thanks :)

Zaruthustran said:
In the late 80s early 90s there was a whole series of 1 on 1 adventures. It was called "Thief's Challenge", "Fighter's Challenge", etc. Ebay or google will serve you well--you might even be able to find PDFs on WotC's site.

1 on 1 is my favorite gaming style. That's how I spent most of my youth. I remember one marathon session during the summer that lasted for over 72 hours straight. As each night faded to dawn and the birds started chirping, the adventure got more and more incoherent. On the plus side, the hallucinations caused by sleep deprivation really enhanced the roleplaying.

Ah, to be young again, and able to subsist on a diet of Mountain Dew and aging pizza (of increasingly dubious quality). Nowadays I'm lucky to game for 8, 9 hours at a time.

Sigh.

Anyway, yeah, check out the Challenge series. And do make use of NPCs--both hirelings and followers. You don't need the Leadership feat in order to have some NPCs decide to be your PC's friend. :)

-z

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Greatwyrm said:
Supporting NPCs are a good idea too. His character should make friends with a couple of NPCs that are willing to tag along on his adventures. A cleric and a rogue would probably be the most useful at first.QUOTE]

Also, depending on the tone and style of the game you want, you may allow your brother to run multiple PCs. i have found this works best in 2 sorts of situations:

A) When the game is the thing and the character development is secondary. it is the reason why CRPGs work so well, in general. If you guys are more interested in the quests, the rewards, and the combats, allowing your brother to run the iconic party may not be a bad idea, and, if that's your bag, can be extremely entertaining. Careful when he starts to roleplay with himself, though. (It is like talking to yourself, but more interactive, er, intra-active.)

B) Horror games. no, really. By having multiple characters, the player never know who is going to die next. And, you can split the party (standard for the genre) without anyone getting bored. If you are doubtful, try it once with a "slasher flick" or "zombie movie" type game. it works.

On the other end of the spectrum, a good portion of my youth was spent playing and later GMing one-on-one games with my older brother. they were a great time, as well as a good way for siblings to spend time with one another. Without anyone else around to make you feel embarassed, you can actually do some pretty deep gaming. I am about to start an "epic quest" style one on one game witha good friend of mine, since the GM of the M&M game I am in doesn't seem like he is gonna give up the reigns anytime soon and it has been too long since I have run a game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads