• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running NPCs as a long-term party/team member

The parties I DM for often have an NPC -- or a PC whose player is not present. In my "live" game, I usually make the players run all the characters in the party, whether NPC or PC. As some have said, the DM just has too much to do already.

In the past, I ran NPC party members with small groups. I remember Fighter and a half-orc Cleric -- both work well, as they can be fairly simple to run.

As for introducing new player's characters as NPC's, I do that a lot. It's actually the routine that a new player will take over an NPC to join the party -- usually an acquaintance of the party, someone they rescued, etc. That gives built-in reasons for the character to join the party, and for players who haven't played D&D before, it helps get them up to speed both in the mechanics and in the setting.

In my email campaign (now 10 years old), there have been many NPC's over the years. Some retired, some died, some became PC's for new players, and one became MY PC.

The secret of making that work? Role play the character. I run the character like any other NPC in my campaign. He's neither an idiot nor a mime. He has agendas and ideas, and knows some things, doesn't know others. He has no more -- or less -- of a clue than anyone else as to whether to go left or right at the dungeon intersection. If you can't run a character on that basis, how can you run any monster or other NPC?

We run the party with the an official party leader (it's a bit like a military outfit), which mantle has changed a few times, but never to him. That helps ensure that the final decisions aren't his -- though I let him voice opinions just like everyone else. One the PC's players, told me that his PC, having recently learned about my NPC's father, has a suspicion that my NPC finds ordering people around distasteful, which answers her long running question about why he's always been in the background. :)

Where he shades into DM's little helper work is that he keeps track of the party's supplies (it mattered in a few adventures and he used to be a scribner), he acts as one of two in-party sources of "Basil Exposition" dialogue being well-educated about the campaign world, and occasionally he'll ask a quiet PC their opinion.

Barastrondo

First Post
What do you do if you have both male and female players?

Manly stoic NPCs are the way to go. Potential romance for the ladies + potential bromance for the guys.

(Assuming both male and female players are straight, and playing straight characters. At least in my groups, this is not at all guaranteed.)

Wolf1066

First Post
(Assuming both male and female players are straight, and playing straight characters. At least in my groups, this is not at all guaranteed.)
With some of my groups and some of the ones I've played with, it's not guaranteed, either. I still have strong memories of a certain starship captain - played by a female who played the character as a human male who was up for any "action" with anyone or anything. Made for some hysterical moments...

Non-human male crew member: "I'm going in!"
Captain (sounding excited): "Oooooooh!"
Rest of crew in chorus: "Don't say 'I'm going in' in front of the Captain!"

or "I can't get it up", "I'll go in the back" and a number of other things that were quite innocent in the context in which they were used...

And in the Cyberpunk game I'm running at the moment, the players have already learned not to make assumptions about the sexuality and marital status of one of the NPCs...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads