• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running OotA at Home - How do I award DT and Renown to the players?

DocSharpe

Explorer
If by published adventures, you're referring to the hardcovers...there's no well defined rule.

An AL Coordinator can (and should) correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the ALPG (p5) states "If you’re playing adventures with multiple episodes (including adventure products like Lost Mine of Phandelver or Out of the Abyss), you won’t be awarded downtime days or renown points until the end of an episode, rather than at the end of each session.". So, it's clear that you're *intended* to get renown and downtime days. Likewise, the DM section (p12) lays out some rough guidelines ("You do not award renown after each session, unless that session is the end of an episode or adventure.")

What we've done is to award 1 renown / 10 downtime days at the point where an episode clearly wraps up (The heading "Conclusion" is what we keyed in on). For example, in Princes of the Apocalypse, we awarded R/DT after each elemental temple. This seems to fit the intent and style of how AL rewards are applied, and matches what the *DM* will get according to ALPG p13.

kalani

First Post
There is an FAQ for Princes detailing when players should receive downtime and renown. Currently, there is no equivalent for OotA however, with the exception of chapter 2, OotA appears more straight forward with characters receiving DT/Renown at the end of each chapter.

Chapter 2 is a travel chapter which is revisited numerous times throughout the adventure. Without a FAQ saying otherwise, characters should only gain DT/Renown for chapter 2 upon completing the chapter in its entirety. As such, most characters should be mid-tier 2 before this occurs.

Remove ads