• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Running Out of the Abyss - DM Tips

Bad Fox

First Post
Warning to Players: possible spoilers for Out of the Abyss to follow!

Having starting reading through Out of the Abyss to prep for running an initial session this weekend, I agree with the opinion I've read in a number of reviews: it's a complicated adventure that takes a bit of work by the DM to run well. That said, it does look really cool and I'm excited to get going!

However, I'm hoping to reach out to other DM's that are running it (or getting ready to) so that we can share ideas to make our sessions go as smooth as possible. One of my first ideas is to put the pictures of the NPC prisoners on index cards and spread them out on the table, so players have a visual representation of who is in the cell with them at the start of the adventure. I think it would make things easier when trying to keep track of that huge cast of characters. Related to this: has anyone tried letting the players run the individual prisoners as is suggested in the book? How did that feel in practice?

I'd be really happy to hear from anyone else, whether they want to share ideas related to simple table organization practices or changes that they're making to the adventure. I'll post more ideas as I have them (if there seems to be any interest!).

For my part, I intend on doing some of the “random generation” sections in advance, and trying to build a coherent adventure. My concern otherwise is that it could end up being “and you flee from the drow today. <roll> nothing happens. Tomorrow, you flee from the drow and <roll> nothing happens.”

I’d much rather have a framework of options for the players to interact with.

jgsugden

Legend
Without reading you post, I'd like to point out that Running Out of the Abyss, rather than running into it, is a good tip for DMs AND Players. It is dangerous in there.

Uller

Adventurer
For my part, I intend on doing some of the “random generation” sections in advance, and trying to build a coherent adventure. My concern otherwise is that it could end up being “and you flee from the drow today. <roll> nothing happens. Tomorrow, you flee from the drow and <roll> nothing happens.”

This is always a good tip. I have found that rolling random encounter generation in advance and then thinking about them a bit leads to much more interesting encounters especially if you combine them. Two examples that come to mind: I rolled harpies and hydra to occur on the same day. So I had the harpies lure the party into the hydra to weaken them, then attack. In another I rolled griffons and a group of orcs lead by an ettin. So I had the griffons attack the party's horses while they camped. This scattered the horses. As the party split up to find their horses the orcs and ettins wandered in lto the area...

Other times it just gave me time to think about the why of the encounter.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
One of my first ideas is to put the pictures of the NPC prisoners on index cards and spread them out on the table, so players have a visual representation of who is in the cell with them at the start of the adventure. I think it would make things easier when trying to keep track of that huge cast of characters.

This was my first idea too!

Related to this: has anyone tried letting the players run the individual prisoners as is suggested in the book? How did that feel in practice?

Yes, I let each of my players choose one NPC to run - the NPCs just go on the character's initiative. It does cut down on the DM's work and gets the players invested with the NPCs as individuals.

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
Without reading you post, I'd like to point out that Running Out of the Abyss, rather than running into it, is a good tip for DMs AND Players. It is dangerous in there.

How could you run out of the abyss anyway? There is just so much of it. It's like an eversmoking bottle, or a politician's promises - it just keeps going.

Jinashi

First Post

I have created an OGRE for the rolls http://www.enworld.org/forum/dnd_view_block.php?id=1855

Remove ads