• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running Palladium Fantasy RPG

tylerthehobo

Explorer
Say, I'm stoked to see that Palladium is now participating in drivethrurpg.com and other one bookshelf sites. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Kevin Siembieda and Palladium's books, which are true labors of love and gamer's games.

I haven't played Palladium Fantasy in about 20 years, but I just downloaded the 1st edition fantasy rules from drivethrurpg.com. Anybody have any tips for running it, as compared say to D&D 3.5, OD&D, or RuneQuest? (the 3 fantasy games I run the most)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
In terms of actual play, I'd say that it's very much like Runequest with regard to scope (it boasted one of the first truly extensive RPG settings in terms of detail), very much like OD&D with regard to rules (there is a lot of GM fiat involved when running a Palladium game), and nothing at all like D&D 3x (no balance, no unified task resolution, etc) :)

There is absolutely no mechanical balance between classes or races in the Palladium RPG, period. As is the case in most Palladium RPGs, it's possible to have godlike characters and canon fodder in the same party. Likewise, as alluded to above, the setting is extremely detailed. This being the case, it makes a great sandbox game.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
Probably the main suspension-of-disbelief issue with the game is the way armor sometimes deteriorates very quickly. Therefore, it is important to emphasize to players how worn their armor is after battling goblins or rabid wolves or whatever.

Andor

First Post
Probably the main suspension-of-disbelief issue with the game is the way armor sometimes deteriorates very quickly. Therefore, it is important to emphasize to players how worn their armor is after battling goblins or rabid wolves or whatever.

Actually, ask your SCA pals about that. Combat is hard on armour. The D&D trope on marching all day over hill and dale with nary a thought to maintenence is what should trip your suspension of disbelief. A friend of mine who does SCA heavy combat (I'm a wire weenie myself) once commented that after a 20 mile hike in armour he'd probably need a full day to do the repairs just from use wear. The reason a knight had a squire and assorted followers on with him was that maintaining all his gear was simply too much work for one man.

OTOH, it's not hard to fix, it's just work. One of the big weaknesses of Palladium has always been lots of rules for degrading armour, none for repairing it. :hmm:

As for running the game, it a lot of fun.

Some things to look out for:

As mentioned the classes are not balanced, and deliberately so. A nobly-born (and therefore well fed and properly trained) knight should wipe the floor with a normal man-at-arms. It is not nearly as bad as in other palladium games however. There is no Cosmo-Knight/Vagabond gap.

Some of the magic using classes are not spell casting classes. I personally love the diabolist and summoner classes, but they might throw players used to more blasty sorts of wizards.

Heavy Warhores are freaking dangerous. In a game I ran the Knights horse was far deadlier than the knight himself. ;)

There is no common tounge in the game. Some of the most fun I ever had gaming was a PFRPG game I ran. Everybody made characters and I passed around a sheet so everbody could write name, race, class and what languages they spoke. It turned out there was no one language the party had in common. I think the worst case had to go through 2 other characters to talk to a party member. I made them play it out and it was hilarious. Took them 3 hours to order drinks and the waitress was in tears while the gnome was passed out in the middle of the table. :lol: If you want to avoid that however you might suggest everybody learn a particular language.

pawsplay

Hero
Actually, ask your SCA pals about that. Combat is hard on armour. The D&D trope on marching all day over hill and dale with nary a thought to maintenence is what should trip your suspension of disbelief. A friend of mine who does SCA heavy combat (I'm a wire weenie myself) once commented that after a 20 mile hike in armour he'd probably need a full day to do the repairs just from use wear. The reason a knight had a squire and assorted followers on with him was that maintaining all his gear was simply too much work for one man.

OTOH, it's not hard to fix, it's just work. One of the big weaknesses of Palladium has always been lots of rules for degrading armour, none for repairing it. :hmm:

I was thinking more of the phenomenon where you get into a fight with a goblin wielding a wooden club, and then your leather armor requires repairs that can only be done by a professional for a lot of money. Or it gets destroyed. Needing repairs after a 20 mile hike is a llittle different than, "My armor no longer protects me as well or has fallen into pieces after a brief skirmish in which I was not injured."

Chainmail can last just about forever, provided it is protected from rust and not breached. I should add that a lot of what the SCA calls "armor" isn't, precisely. It looks good and it meets the safety requirements, but it's rare to see proper armor. While I don't recommend hiking in heavy armor under any circumstances, least of all if you expect to fight, armor that is properly fitted should be able to take it.

Brutorz Bill

First Post
While I haven't played/run Palladium Fantasy in years, I had a blast with it back in the day! Good times! The Palladium world is especially interesting/cool. I even used parts of the setting when I first ran 3.0 years ago.

Treebore

First Post
Can anyone give us an idea of what the Palladium world is like? Or is just "Medieval Tolkein-clone #2345"? (Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing.)

No, its no where near being a clone. People could post pages long posts about the depth of richness this setting has. Get the core rule book, if you like rich fluff, you will not be disappointed. The class flavors are pretty awesome too.

So if you like the fluff in the core, the fluff in the other books is only better. Especially with regards to the wolfen and coyle.

Remove ads