• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running PHB Only

LostSoul

Adventurer
That's interesting and all, but if I were playing in your game, I'd kill my character as soon as I found a grove of druids or a desert with genasi.

Okay, let's look at the consequences of that: Your new PC is level 1. Have fun!

Of course, if you took the time to recruit one of those druids or a genasi as a henchman and decided that you wanted him to be your main PC instead, well, the (my) rules say that you can play the NPC at whatever level the NPC is, writing him up as a full PC. (Hmm, actually they don't, but they should.) If that was your goal, I'd consider that pretty cool and I'm sure it would lead to good times.

A proactive PC who wants to explore the world? Awesome.

Oompa

First Post
At first i was PHB only, because my players were learning the rules.. Now they can use anything they want, as long as i agree.

But i have players who are not really into other books, so they just use snippets like a weapon or a feature... and no classes or races..

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Our group played PHB1 only for quite some time, we've now added PHB2 to the repertoire, but so far only 3 or 4 feats have come out of it.

There's really nothing wrong with the PHB1 classes, no matter how much people cry that the wizard is underpowered.

Remove ads