• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
A group I'm in is VERY near the end of this module now- it's been well over two years of gaming time, and with 2 different DM's (one went overseas).

The Crater Ridge slog can be insanely boring- so many rooms, so much pointless hack and slash.
The best parts are those the DM's invented/modified themselves.
I kept playing mostly because the people i play with are fun- not because of the module. My character is a sneaky ditz. Another was insane. Another was a constant source of Boccob the Neutral jokes ("If I die, tell my wife I said... hello"- "I have a very neutral opinion on this" - "I have consulted my god, and he says- yeah whatever"

But yes, tips.
1- Read for yourself in advance how important the Torches of Revealing/etc are and make sure the party knows the cultists use them to hide secrets a lot...
2- Take existing NPC's from the Mines area and make them pivitol- or at least interesting.
3- Decide to either have the temples cooperate OR fight each other- don't just leave them neutral and dull. Obviously cooperation makes it a lot more of a challenge. A LOT more. Fighting each other SHOULD result in casualties to described temple forces (and less XP for the PC's).
4- If you go for a grim, dark mood to the gameplay, realise you are REALLY going to have to shuffle things along story and information-wise before it gets repetitive and dull. But again, this will reduce final PC level, so take that into account with additional allies/weaker enemies. A lot of fights are hard enough as they are! ESPECIALLY if your players aren't min/maxers.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
grodog said:
Someone please refresh my memory: I don't recall a Dungeon adventure that ties to either ToEE or RttToEE.

The Cradle of Madness, issue 87, may be the one. (One of the adventures I scored a TPK in!)

Cheers!

grodog

Hero
MerricB said:
The Cradle of Madness, issue 87, may be the one. (One of the adventures I scored a TPK in!)

Thanks Merric :D Based on my notes on that adventure:

grodog on his web site said:
The Cradle of Madness - D&D3e, levels 3-8 (6). Set in the Greyhawk City, the adventure makes good use of a Tharizdun cult.

That one doesn't seem to be related to RttToEE, although it could be I guess. Can anyone confirm/deny?

CoopersPale said:
Hi guys,

So I'm gonna run this huge dungeon crawl as a DM.

A couple of questions:
- is this only available in D&D 3.0? Seems to be, and that's the copy I own...
- Considering it is an adventure for level 4-14, what would you guys consider is a good adventure for 1st to 3rd level - for 4 PC's?

Hi there CoopersPale.

It is good to finally come across a fellow Adelaidean on the boards! I only noticed that you were from South Australia because of your username. :cool:

What area of Adelaide do you live in? I'm in the north/north-eastern suburbs. I used to live in Golden Grove but I recently moved to Gawler.

Olaf the Stout

CoopersPale said:
So I'm gonna run this huge dungeon crawl as a DM.
It's only a dungeon crawl if your players approach it that way. And if that's what they like, it's good for that.

It's also a great module for sneaking, disguising, negotiating, infiltrating, bribing... If your players try that, rather than just fighting everything they run in to, it can be a lot of fun.

Good luck.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads