• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rust Monster hide armor?

Falchieyan

First Post
Here is the basic description of a Rust Monster's primary ability. The important part is bold:

Rust (Ex): A rust monster that makes a successful touch attack with its antennae causes the target metal to corrode, falling to pieces and becoming useless immediately. The touch can destroy up to a 10-foot cube of metal instantly. Magic armor and weapons, and other magic items made of metal, must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be dissolved. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

A metal weapon that deals damage to a rust monster corrodes immediately. Wooden, stone, and other nonmetallic weapons are unaffected.

So, theoretically, could someone turn a couple of dead rust monsters into hide armor that corroded metal weapons striking the wearer? Do Extraordinary abilites persist beyond the death of the creature? I would think so, as only Spell-Like or Supernatural abilities seem to require effort on behalf of their wielders. Extraordinary abilities always seemed like something that were just innate qualities of a particular creature, regardless of their state(a polymorphed Rust Monster would retain this ability, for instance).

If it is possible, I think that there might be percentage rolls put into place because of the nature of hide armor. Weapons striking the wearer wouldn't always hit a plate of the rust hide, so there could be a percentage roll with each strike to decide as much. Also, anything metal that the wearer uses has a big chance of brushing against the stuff. A spellcasting druid with a wooden staff and wands wouldn't mind, but any fighter type might have problems.

sydbar

Explorer
I know that back in 1st edition, we had a thief that turned a rust monster antennea into a whip, but it took quite a bit of work from a hired alchemist to preserve the rust ability, but i don't remember the specifics since it was about 20 years ago.

smootrk

First Post
In Rappan Atuk there is a (non magic) rust monster hide shield, thoughtfully located near where some Iron Golems (and their lich lord) is located. It helped us but my character still managed to die (dumb valiant paladin type).

We kept the shield, and our DM treated it as a non-magical but masterwork quality shield with an effective +1 enhancement (for the rusting affect). I was always planning on having it properly enchanted but never got the chance.

shilsen

Adventurer
Falchieyan said:
So, theoretically, could someone turn a couple of dead rust monsters into hide armor that corroded metal weapons striking the wearer? Do Extraordinary abilites persist beyond the death of the creature? I would think so, as only Spell-Like or Supernatural abilities seem to require effort on behalf of their wielders. Extraordinary abilities always seemed like something that were just innate qualities of a particular creature, regardless of their state(a polymorphed Rust Monster would retain this ability, for instance).

No. There's no indication in the text that Ex abilities persist beyond the death of the creature.

And a polymorphed Rust Monster would not retain this ability. Alter Self, which Polymorph works off, says about extraordinary special attacks/qualities that you "lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels".

Whimsical

Explorer
Keep in mind that dragonhide armor is just as vulnerable to energy damage that the dragon was immune to as regular hide armor.

frankthedm

First Post
Falchieyan said:
So, theoretically, could someone turn a couple of dead rust monsters into hide armor that corroded metal weapons striking the wearer?
Not unless the DM lets you. Preserved parts of rust monsters would however be the likely canidate for custom magic items with rusting effects.

Rusting Grasp
Transmutation
Level: Drd 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One nonmagical ferrous object (or the volume of the object within 3 ft. of the touched point) or one ferrous creature
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Any iron or iron alloy item you touch becomes instantaneously rusted, pitted, and worthless, effectively destroyed. If the item is so large that it cannot fit within a 3-foot radius a 3-foot-radius volume of the metal is rusted and destroyed. Magic items made of metal are immune to this spell.

You may employ rusting grasp in combat with a successful melee touch attack. Rusting grasp used in this way instantaneously destroys 1d6 points of Armor Class gained from metal armor (to the maximum amount of protection the armor offered) through corrosion.

Weapons in use by an opponent targeted by the spell are more difficult to grasp. You must succeed on a melee touch attack against the weapon. A metal weapon that is hit is destroyed.

Note: Striking at an opponent’s weapon provokes an attack of opportunity. Also, you must touch the weapon and not the other way around.

Against a ferrous creature, rusting grasp instantaneously deals 3d6 points of damage +1 per caster level (maximum +15) per successful attack. The spell lasts for 1 round per level, and you can make one melee touch attack per round.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads