• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rust monsters touch attack?

Thunhus

First Post
"A rust monster that makes a successful touch attack with its antennae,
causes the target metal to corrode. The touch can destroy up to 10-foot
cube of metal instantly."

How you determine where rust monster touch you? Or are your all metal items destroyed (except magic items)?

Thunhus

Unkabear

First Post
Even magic items. That is what will send a party of adventures who just killed a dragon running from this low cr critter. Magic items have a dc 17 save or be destroyed. and the MM gives you the list. largest metal first, and then it works its way down. metal weapons that deal damage to the rust monster corrode immediatly.

And I think that they are destroyed separatly. Alghough the 10' cube dissapears armor and other items are not linked together. I think the antenna rust attack must touch each individual item. Though I could be wrong.

frankthedm

First Post
Thunhus said:
How you determine where rust monster touch you? Or are your all metal items destroyed (except magic items)?
Whaddaya mean '(except magic items)?! It rusts those too!

IIRC They attack your armor first with thier normal touch attack [magic items get some sort of save]. Then it goes for your shield as a 'sunder attempt', you get an AoO for that, should you be a fool and hit the thing with a metal weapon, the weapon corrodes after it hits the $#@*ing thing [magic items get some sort of save]. After the AoO gets resolved you and Rusty oppose attack rolls as per sunder. If rusty wins this, your shield corrodes [magic items get some sort of save]. A fun time is had by all!

frankthedm

First Post
geosapient said:
DC 17 reflex save if attended (which if you are wearing or wielding it would be). Unattended magic items, I believe, get no save.
They get a save still, thier own. I think a magic item can use its own save in place of its wielders if higher.

DAMAGING MAGIC ITEMS
A magic item doesn’t need to make a saving throw unless it is unattended, it is specifically targeted by the effect, or its wielder rolls a natural 1 on his save. Magic items should always get a saving throw against spells that might deal damage to them— even against attacks from which a nonmagical item would normally get no chance to save. Magic items use the same saving throw bonus for all saves, no matter what the type (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will). A magic item’s saving throw bonus equals 2 + one-half its caster level (round down). The only exceptions to this are intelligent magic items, which make Will saves based on their own Wisdom scores.

Magic items, unless otherwise noted, take damage as nonmagical items of the same sort. A damaged magic item continues to function, but if it is destroyed, all its magical power is lost.

Caster
Level Save

1st +2
2nd +3
3rd +3
4th +4
5th +4
6th +5
7th +5
8th +6
9th +6
10th +7
11th +7
12th +8
13th +8
14th +9
15th +9
16th +10
17th +10
18th +11
19th +11
20th +12

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
From the SRD:

A rust monster can scent a metal object from up to 90 feet away. When it detects one, it dashes toward the source and attempts to strike it with its antennae. The creature is relentless, chasing characters over long distances if they still possess intact metal objects but usually ceasing its attacks to devour a freshly rusted meal.
The creature targets the largest metal object available, striking first at armor, then at shields and smaller items. It prefers ferrous metals (steel or iron) over precious metals (such as gold or silver) but will devour the latter if given the opportunity.

Rust (Ex): A rust monster that makes a successful touch attack with its antennae causes the target metal to corrode, falling to pieces and becoming useless immediately. The touch can destroy up to a 10-foot cube of metal instantly. Magic armor and weapons, and other magic items made of metal, must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be dissolved. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

A metal weapon that deals damage to a rust monster corrodes immediately. Wooden, stone, and other nonmetallic weapons are unaffected.

I think the rules are there.

The order of priority/preference, what happens to weapons that strike the rust monster for damage and how to handle magic items.

Remove ads