• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ry and Insight's Legacies (E6 - character creation)

Ry

Explorer
This is going to create more questions than it answers, but rather than continue with the deluge I think I'll let you read this and illuminate more with your questions:

The Days are actually a series of civil wars, with the object being not only dominance, but the completion of the Thrice Coronation as well (the Thrice Coronation is a kind of imperial pilgrimmage that must be completed before the emperor is crowned). Zeium Dalat is, as was said, a vast and multi-ethnic empire, normally stitched together by a common acceptance of a cross-cultural caste system (Zalai) that determines a hierarchy of respect and politesse in all corners of the empire. This hierarchy commanded courtesy in different degrees, even between such stranger as Oji shamans, Pon Warlocks, Nubal merchant-princes, and Kittsan freemen. Moreover, Zalai placed rights and obligations on the many castes, from slave to Emperor - these rights, enshrined in Dalati law, had preserved the Empire through sixty generations.

But rivalries between the groups, and within the imperial cities, had gone unchecked by generations of inept and careless Emperors. Zalai itself was eroded by their decrees, and factions began to plot both near and far from the Emperor's throne at Padalat.

Thus, it was inevitable that a struggle for imperial succession would flare outward. The death of Emperor Iparn IV Dalat left behind eleven sons, the eldest Iparn V. But most of the sons had been raised apart, exchanged with distant province-kings and raised among far-off people. Meanwhile, Abish, a bastard heir disowned by Iparn IV, had secured the allegiance of the Jemesh (warlock) and Maiic (warrior) Imperial Guards.

Before long, both the Heart-city (Dalat) and capital (Padalat) were in flames, and two Aspirant emperors became four, then eight, then five, then two, then seven, as armies from every corner of the empire were recalled only to lay siege to the capitals.

By this point, the entire Empire was in chaos, with some provinces marshalling their forces to dominate the Empire, others withdrawing in an attempt to avoid the conflict by establishing some autonomy, and the best-off simply not having any Empire to answer to. Sensing weakness, barbarians of the Wastes struck from the empires edges, sometimes even carving out fiefdems of their own from Imperial soil. In the furthest provinces, forced conscription made a mockery of once-disciplined armies, and in the absence of leadership, trade, and prosperity, they often turned on the people they were created to protect.

Thus, the first three decades of the Days of Madness were filled with senseless violence, and short-lived victories.

By the 51st year of the Days, Aspirant Yushia Dalat-Ma, the "Witch-Empress", secured Padalat (the modern capital) while Dalat Yur (the traditional capital) dissolved into anarchy. Over the next twenty-five years the Empire was again, largely subjugated or bribed back into coherent form. The land of Kitts in the east remained intractable, denying that they need answer to any Aspirant, and Aspirant Prince Wesh of Nubal tenaciously held to his lands on the southern continent. Aspirant Yushia, becoming more and more secure in her political power, and possessing the allegiance of formidable spirits, began the Thrice Coronation to become Empress.

In the 79th year of the Days, having completed two of the three Coronations, Yushia was planning her ascent to petition the Dragon of Te Zeium, Yusal, for that final coronation. She was slain by an unknown assailant within yards of taking her first step upon the Path of the Dragon.

Insight

Adventurer
rycanada said:
By the 51st year of the Days, Aspirant Yushia Dalat-Ma, the "Witch-Empress", secured Padalat (the modern capital) while Dalat Yur (the traditional capital) dissolved into anarchy. Over the next twenty-five years the Empire was again, largely subjugated or bribed back into coherent form. The land of Kitts in the east remained intractable, denying that they need answer to any Aspirant, and Aspirant Prince Wesh of Nubal tenaciously held to his lands on the southern continent. Aspirant Yushia, becoming more and more secure in her political power, and possessing the allegiance of formidable spirits, began the Thrice Coronation to become Empress.

In the 79th year of the Days, having completed two of the three Coronations, Yushia was planning her ascent to petition the Dragon of Te Zeium, Yusal, for that final coronation. She was slain by an unknown assailant within yards of taking her first step upon the Path of the Dragon.

This seems like a good jumping-off point. I'd like to have my character be involved with Yushia somehow. The nature of this involvement depends on Yushia's background and details. What more can you tell me about Yushia, and especially the circumstances surrounding her would-be rise to the throne and subsequent death?

What I'm thinking here is one of two things: either my character was born a relation to Yushia (if that's possible), or that the "auspicious birth" has something to do with Aspirant Yushia (possibly that my character was born at the exact moment of Yushia's assassination, bears some birthmark or something indicating my character could be Yushia reincarnated, or something along those lines)...

Ry

Explorer
Yushia is kind of complex, so how about I start with her family? She was the eldest child of the Dalat-Ma, a lesser noble house that had become in its latter years part of the Imperial Guard caste. The Dalat-Ma had some kind of tenuous claim to the throne dating back to the Paiogun Wars but had not contested the ascent of other, stronger families to the throne in that era, and few outside of the family recalled it.

Her mother was a Pon witch, and her father was Yushim, the highest-ranking member of the Jemesh (warlock) Imperial guards caste after the mass assasination of Abish (bastard-Aspirant) and his retinue in the tenth year of the Days.

Wisely, Yushim (Yushia's father) convinced the remaining members of the Jemesh (warlock) and Meiic (warrior) castes to withdraw from the conflict, choosing to preserve the Imperial Guards castes, and thereby Zalai, over backing a particular Aspirant.

Their forces gathered, they secured a safe exit of the region from the other factions that were more than happy to be rid of them. So a long train of Meeic and Jeresh - once the mightiest force of the empire - passed through the Arches of Padalat (gates of the capital city). As she walked beneath the last arch, Yushia's mother gave birth and suddenly died.

Yushim's forces retreated to the ramparts of Hune, a sprawling fortress built deep in the Wudal mountains northwest of Padalat. Yushim brought with him certain loyal Imperial vassals who like him, no longer had a lord to serve, and thus made a tiny, self-sufficient enclave that was sheltered from the early Madness.

Thus it was at Hune, surrounded by warriors, warlocks and men of state that Yushia was raised.

Ry

Explorer
Yushia left Hune under mysterious circumstances at the age of 20 (30th year of the Days). At the age of 29 (39th year of the Days), she returned to Hune and deposited her four children with Yushim. Their father is unknown, and in appearance they resemble Yushia's Dalati blood only. From this day onward she was never remarked upon as having any outward sign of aging. Over the next 12 years she would return occasionally, while rumours from the East spoke of a mighty Witch gathering forces and spirits to her side. At the age of 41 (51st year of the Days) she conquered Padalat independent of the support of the Meiic and Jeresh loyal to her father, and sent for them to secure her imperial guard. She would spend the next 28 years securing larger and larger portions of the Empire, until her death.

Ry

Explorer
Sure - but if you are, your character would be 40 in the year of her death, and 41 in year 80 of the Days. Then again, I hadn't decided whether they inherited their mother's agelessness, but it's certainly possible. What do you think? Do you still want to start the campaign at the 80th year?

Insight

Adventurer
rycanada said:
Sure - but if you are, your character would be 40 in the year of her death, and 41 in year 80 of the Days. Then again, I hadn't decided whether they inherited their mother's agelessness, but it's certainly possible. What do you think? Do you still want to start the campaign at the 80th year?

Hmm... well, I think it would be better if my character were an adult at the time of Yushia's assassination. But in terms of the chronological age vs. the physical age, yeah, it'd be cool if my character inherited some form of the agelessness or maybe a slowdown in the aging process. Perhaps the father didn't have the timeless quality, so the children would have a lesser form of what Yushia had. Or, as an alternative, perhaps my character would grow normally to maturity, then starting being ageless. Since I don't know how Yushia became ageless, I guess it depends on whether this trait is something Yushia can pass on to her offspring.

Ry

Explorer
Let's just say this: Yushia was ageless. Her children have remarkably good health, have kept a youthful appearance. Yushia never chose to reveal the reason for her agelessness, and whether she passed it to her children is debatable. Certainly they do not exhibit the exact same fixedness of appearance as their mother.

Is your character Yushia's first, second, third, or fourth child? Feel free to pick the genders of the whole brood, and even personalities if you want. That's open.

Insight

Adventurer
rycanada said:
Let's just say this: Yushia was ageless. Her children have remarkably good health, have kept a youthful appearance. Yushia never chose to reveal the reason for her agelessness, and whether she passed it to her children is debatable. Certainly they do not exhibit the exact same fixedness of appearance as their mother.

Is your character Yushia's first, second, third, or fourth child? Feel free to pick the genders of the whole brood, and even personalities if you want. That's open.

My character was Yushia's youngest son, the second of two sons she bore. My character would thus also have two older sisters. I imagine that, being the youngest, my character would feel he had a lot to prove, and might begrudge some of his siblings some of the attention he never received growing up. Perhaps no open hostility or animosity, but my character probably harbors some resentment towards his older siblings. I think one of his older sisters ended up raising my character, so that's one sibling he probably doesn't resent. The other siblings probably don't even know how my character feels about them, as he's not really all that open to talking about his feelings.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads