• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ryan dancey hints that DnD will become a board game....

hanez

First Post
4e is already too much like a board game for my tastes. Its my hope that they will move away from this type of goal in the next edition.

Not that I don't like board games, I love board games, I just also love D&D

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Ryan dancey...
I think that commercially successful TRPGs of the future will be constructed more like a family game – something that can be unpacked, learned quickly, and played with little prep work. These games will give people a lot of the same joy of “roleplaying” and narrative control that they get from today’s Hobby Game TRPGs but with a fraction of the time investment. Wizards is already experimenting with this format, as is Fantasy Flight Games. It seems like a good bet that there is a substantially profitable business down this line of evolution.

Is this quote in relation to the latest development, or something from way earlier? I seem to remember him saying this, but that was maybe a year or so ago.

/M

I like the adveture series of board games (ravenloft, ashardalon, and drizt) but I doubt they would make it less D&D like then those...

infact D&D could survive an edtion like that...but I hope it doesn;t have to

Jack99

Adventurer
The tone of the verbiage WotC has been using thus far indicates the opposite to a boardgame.

Not to mention the fact that you have played the Alpha/Beta/whatever version. Right?

This short message was brought to you by Tapatalk and my iPad

Dausuul

Legend
I'd need a much clearer idea of what the board game was like before saying yes or no. WotC's recent board games are excellent fun, but they're no substitute for D&D.

AeroDm

First Post
Purely my speculation, but I cannot imagine them moving towards "board game" for 5e without alienating the huge majority of the fan base. That said, I think board games can offer a lot of insights in making the game more physical. Every table has a few players that just have to sketch, stack dice, and touch miniatures. Physical interactions make things real for a lot of people and board games quench that thirst. I think there might be some interesting routes to make the game more physical without pinning that physicality to a grid or forcing awkward interactions marking and unmarking the same miniature.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads