• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ryrok's Feat Tweaks

RCanine

First Post
Donning my flame-retardant suit and submitting my first pass at house ruling some of the feats I consider to be outliers in power level (either two low or high), to help prevent them from breaking encounter design and reducing their impact for Variant Humans at early levels to keep them more in line with other races.

Especially curious what @Zardnaar thinks, given he's a constant critic of SS and GWM feats.

Combat Shooter

This feat replaces the Crossbow Expert feat on page 165 of the PHB.

You excel at using a ranged weapon at point-blank range. You gain the following benefits while wielding a ranged weapon with which you are proficient:

• Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.
  • You can use your crossbow, sling (while loaded), or net as a melee weapon. When used in this way, your weapon does 1d4 bludgeoning damage or 1d8 bludgeoning damage if it has the two-handed property.
  • When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a one-handed ranged weapon you are holding.

Design notes: this feat is something most ranged fighters will want, but the original text makes crossbows overshadow other ranged weapons. This extends the bonus action attack benefit of hand crossbows to slings and blowguns, and instead of making crossbows better than bows, gives them a tactical difference without overtly punishing classes with the Extra Attack feature.

Elemental Adept

The following replaces the Elemental Adept feat on page 166 of the PHB.

Your mastery over forces natural or unnatural make your abilities more difficult to resist.When you gain this feat, choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, poison, psychic, radiant, or thunder. You gain the following benefits:

• Your spells and attacks ignore resistance to damage of the chosen type and treat immunity as resistance.
  • When you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals damage of that type, you can treat any damage die as a 2.
  • You learn the Absorb Elements spell (EEPG15) and can cast it at its lowest level if you take damage of your chosen type, even that damage type is not normally allowed by the spell. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again. Constitution is your casting ability for this spell.
  • You can select this feat multiple times. Each time you do so, you must choose a different damage type.

Design notes: this feat was generally underpowered compared to weapon-focused feats that significantly change a character's playstyle. In addition, certain damage types suffer from limited spell lists and frequent monster immunity, and omitting them from this feat was unnecessarily punitive. Adding poison and necrotic damage ensures builds centered around those types aren't useless. Allowing weapon attacks and adding absorb elements to the feat also incentivizes non-casters to take the feat, much like crossbow expert had benefits for casters.

Great Weapon Master

The following replaces the Great Weapon Master feat on page 167 of the PHB.

You've learned to put the weight of a weapon to your advantage, letting its momentum empower your strikes. You gain the following benefits when attacking with a two-handed or versatile weapon held in two hands that you are proficient with:

• When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can spend your bonus action to try to shove the target of your attack
  • Before you make a melee weapon attack against a creature you have not attacked this turn, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you can repeat the attack against a second creature within 5' of the target and within your reach that you have not attacked this turn.

Design notes: the fantasy of this feat is of a player wielding massive, powerful weapons. Instead of bonus damage for inaccuracy and additional attacks, this feat instead represents the innertia of a massive weapon slinging foes across the battlefield, and cleaving multiple enemies.

Mounted Combatant

The following replaces the Mounted Combatant feat on page 168 of the PHB.

You are a dangerous foe to face while mounted. While you are mounted and aren't incapacitated, you gain the following benefits:

• A creature provokes an opportunity attack from you when it makes an attack against your mount.
  • When your mount takes damage, you can choose to take the damage instead.
  • Your mount adds your proficiency bonus to its AC and all saving throws (it can only add this bonus once).
  • If you control your mount, as a bonus action you can command your mount to its action available to it instead of the three action options normally available to controlled mounts.

Design notes: mounts are fun, but the mechanics of 5e make them pretty bad choices for the most part, with their hit points and defenses not scaling beyond the first couple levels. The original mounted combatant feat didn't solve this problem, especially for small characters riding 5hp mastiffs. The new design allows the player to protect its mount, and also allows the player to use its mount as a weapon, which was very much the case in medieval warfare.

Polearm Master

The following replaces the Great Weapon Master feat on page 168 of the PHB.

You can keep your enemies at bay with reach weapons. You gain the following benefits when wielding a glaive, halberd, lance, quarterstaff, spear or trident in two hands:

• When you take the Attack action you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the opposite end of the weapon. The weapon's damage die for this attack is a d4, and the attack deals bludgeoning damage.
  • Other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach.

Design notes: it's nonsensical that this benefit applies to some hafted pointy weapons and not others, and it's also bizarre to wield a quarterstaff one-handed.

Sentinel

The following replaces the Sentinel feat on page 169 of the PHB.

You have mastered techniques to take advantage of every drop in an enemy's guard, gaining the following benefits:

• When you hit a creature no more than one size larger than you with an opportunity attack, the creature's speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn unless it has taken the disengage action.
  • As a bonus action on your turn, you can active a 5-foot aura. While within the aura, your enemies are taunted by you. You can end this effect as a bonus action. When a creature violates your taunt, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.

Add the following condition to page 292 of the PHB.

Taunted

• A taunted creature feels compelled to attack the taunter over others.
  • Creatures immune to the frightened condition are also immune to the taunted condition. Becoming taunted removes the frightened condition.
  • A creature violates a taunt if it moves more than five feet within the taunter's reach or makes an attack or casts a spell not targetting a creature taunting it. The effect of violating a taunt is determined by the taunting creature.

Design notes: the ability for a 40-pound gnome to lock an ancient dragon in place by slapping it with a 1-damage unarmed strike defies physics. Similarly, the sentinel's lockdown can present narrative problems for DMs. In addition, Sentinel can be combined with other similar abilities in ways that don't make sense. For example, this refines the description of
Compelled Duel:
You attempt to compel a creature into a duel. One creature that you can see within range must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is taunted by you. For the duration, must make a Wisdom saving throw each time it attempts to violate your taunt or move to a space that is more than 30 feet away from you.​

Although ostensibly a nerf, the taunt mechanic allows a sentinel to punish more actions than before, such as casting spells or tactical movement. Narratively, the effect makes more sense.

Sharpshooter

The following replaces the sharpshooter feat on page 170 of the PHB.

You have honed your skill and focus with ranged weapons, and can make shots that others find impossible. If you do not move on your turn, you gain the following benefits:

• Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
  • Your ranged attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
  • The first ranged attack you make on your turn deals extra damage equal to your level. If you score a critical hit, this extra damage is doubled.

Design notes: the fantasy of this feat is of a hawk-eyed sniper laying waste to enemies from afar; the PHB design doesn't fit that fantasy because it trades away accuracy. The updated feat fleshes out the fantasy of the calm, focused sniper.

Last edited:

RCanine

First Post
This. Or as an option insted of +1 stat you can get archery of GWF style.

Neither of these options are awful, but they're also not interesting. Part of my goal here (successful or not I'll leave up to you) is enhancing the fantasy of the feats so they deepen character development by taking them, not just add some math.

Horwath

Legend
Neither of these options are awful, but they're also not interesting. Part of my goal here (successful or not I'll leave up to you) is enhancing the fantasy of the feats so they deepen character development by taking them, not just add some math.

And+1damage per level is not just math?

sometimes half a feat is just enough. If you force to full feat you get something like SS/GWM, it's maybe too good for some one, and waste of half a feat for someone else.

I.E. SS for battlemasters with their safety die that can be added to attack roll after you see the d20 roll is a monster, but for assassin it's actualy loss of damage on average if you use it.

Also about quarterstaff and one-handed attacking, Gandalf called and wants a word. :p

CapnZapp

Legend
I like your general sensibilities.

Let me share mine:
- feats should either be general or specific, not both. That is, the RAW Greatweapon Master feat irks me because, while it is technically useful for someone using a Longsword, by definition that is always a non-optimal build by virtue of you getting more out of the feat automatically if you switch to a greatweapon.
- ranged combat can't get rid of all the checks and balances. It breaks the assumptions of the fantasy genre.

Now, let's have a look :)

First off, congrats on being a good writer and a good rules writer. Your text is clear and concise. Good stuff!

Combat Shooter:
- I'm afraid I belive the game needs to let Legolas go. Being able to keep shooting when a monster is in your face is massively destabilizing. At the very least, this should be a feat all of its own. If there was a feat called "The Legolas Within", that would allow the players that absolutely need it to get it, but at the considerable cost of spending a feat on nothing else.
- As for the damage reduction, I see your point. However, you would never use the actual crossbow as a weapon. It would simply break and be useless for further ranged fire. I feel this is better covered by a Tavern Brawler type of ability.
- the third bullet might be rewritten, but it still massively favors hand crossbows over bows and other crossbows. Also, it still does not fix the oversight that is how you effectively get the two-weapon fighting fighting style for free on this bonus action. (You get to add Dex to damage of this bonus action)

I came into this thread with the opinion Crossbow Expert needs to be removed from the game in its entirity. I remain convinced of this: instead of replacing it with Combat Shooter, I simply advise you to drop the feat and its components from the game.

If you must, keep only the part where you aren't shut down by melee. If so, phrase the feat to use the arrow or the bolt, not the bow or the crossbow. Say the feat allows you to use ammunition as a finesse d4 melee weapon. (You hold your bow or crossbow in one hand while you stab the foe with the other)

CapnZapp

Legend
Elemental Adept:

I'm afraid any design that refuses to see that the elements aren't equal cannot succeed.

In this case, you would only make Fire even better than it already is. Sure I realize you wanted to help Poison and Necrotic, but I fear you have thrown out the baby with the bathwater.

Any successful feat of this kind needs to have the big-damage elements (like Fire) play by different rules than the more obscure elements, at least as long as there is a Fireball but no Poisonball. (Note: I definitely don't want all elements to be equal. That would be plain boring. I want to convey the message that any successful design needs to shed the pretense of impartiality, and give GREATER bonuses to the weaker elements)

Great Weapon Master:

Hmm. First off, consider renaming the feat, since none of its benefits are tied to greatweapons any longer.

Second, I would grant a free push. Not merely a free push attempt. You did roll a critical after all.

The Cleave mechanism you have invented is interesting. I'll have to defer judgement on that one.

Polearm Mastery:

Even with your design note, I'm unsure what you're fixing here.

I would ideally like a design that doesn't have to name individual weapons. Can't "polearms" be summarized by using keywords like "heavy", "two-handed" in combination with "reach" (meaning reach greater than 5 ft)

CapnZapp

Legend
([] I want to convey the message that any successful design needs to shed the pretense of impartiality, and give GREATER bonuses to the weaker elements)
What I mean by this is:

Look at the recent UA feats focusing on individual weapons (or groups of weapons).

That is what I'd call a fruitful avenue for Elemental Adepts. Let's whip up an example or two to show you what I'm after:

Acid Adept: your acid spells deal damage twice. The round after you successfully damage a foe with acid damage, you deal the same damage again.

Poison Adept: you can imbue your poison spells with smokey tendrils. A target that is about to take poison damage from your spells is immobilized until the start of your next turn, even if the target is resistant or immune to poison.

Just to present two quick examples (that probably needs to go through a round of balancing).

The idea is to make elements more different. And to give greater bonuses to the weaker elements than to Fire.

In the case of Poison Adept above, the idea is to make the feat remove the key weakness of the element: that it does diddly squat against immune opponents. Something like that (removing immunity) would be highly inappropriate for Fire. Fire desperately needs to face immune monsters once in a while, to not run away as the by far most minmaxed element to choose.

CapnZapp

Legend
sometimes half a feat is just enough. If you force to full feat you get something like SS/GWM, it's maybe too good for some one, and waste of half a feat for someone else.

I.E. SS for battlemasters with their safety die that can be added to attack roll after you see the d20 roll is a monster, but for assassin it's actualy loss of damage on average if you use it.
You seem to argue turning SS into a half-skill is good, but I don't see what the point is.

How would it help Assassins? They're not interested (for the reason you point out)

Or perhaps you assume the other SS benefits are available as a second half-feat? Perhaps I missed something :)

Zapp

PS. I would be wary of opening up the door to combining two half-feats, that's for sure. I don't think the game needs a rule that said "you can take two half-feats as one; if two feats offers a +1 bonus each, you may drop both +1 bonuses and taking the rest of the two feats as a single feat" or that it could even handle it. Not saying that's what you suggested, though.

That said, I would love for WotC to drop the idea to have feats add broad benefits to some, but better benefits for a few.

I'd much rather have a Cleave feat where all of the feat's benefits can be used by everyone that takes it. I would never take Great Weapon Master for a character using a longsword or rapier. Sure I would get my Cleave, but I would never be able to shake the untrovertible truth I'm paying a full feat but only gains half of one.

That's a topic for another thread, though :)

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
You seem to argue turning SS into a half-skill is good, but I don't see what the point is.

How would it help Assassins? They're not interested (for the reason you point out)

Or perhaps you assume the other SS benefits are available as a second half-feat? Perhaps I missed something :)

Zapp

PS. I would be wary of opening up the door to combining two half-feats, that's for sure. I don't think the game needs a rule that said "you can take two half-feats as one; if two feats offers a +1 bonus each, you may drop both +1 bonuses and taking the rest of the two feats as a single feat" or that it could even handle it. Not saying that's what you suggested, though.

That said, I would love for WotC to drop the idea to have feats add broad benefits to some, but better benefits for a few.

I'd much rather have a Cleave feat where all of the feat's benefits can be used by everyone that takes it. I would never take Great Weapon Master for a character using a longsword or rapier. Sure I would get my Cleave, but I would never be able to shake the untrovertible truth I'm paying a full feat but only gains half of one.

That's a topic for another thread, though :)

Assassins have bigbase damage, and +10 bonus does not double up on crit. So more or less they have a half feat waste. Reduced accuracy does not get replaced with +10 damage in rogues case.

They would have more benefit from +1 dex or archery style.

Why not combine two "half feats" would Tavern brawler and heavy armor master be too powerfull as one feat, without the str bonus ofc.

Or keen intelect and observant?

Half of the full feats deserve a +1 ability tag along.

Remove ads