• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rystil's Next Game--You Pick!

Which Game Should Rystil Make Next (Read Descriptions Below!)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hey everyone. So, I've got all my game threads from Twin Infinities started up now, which means that it's time for my next game! I had a bunch of ideas, but I only want to do one at a time, so if you like any of these ideas, vote for your favourites and post below. Here's my descriptions:

Homebrew--"Kiss of Darkness":

A game that takes place in my most recent homebrew setting, it is based off a storyline rejected by WotC. It is a fairly traditional fantasy world using normal rules, and involves a good amount of exploration, mystery, roleplaying, and combat. I've playtested this one once, and the playtesters had a really great time, expanding the game from its initial scope to a huge campaign that lasted from 1st to 20th level. The main adventure involves dark cults, conspiracies, and more.

Post-Arthurian Campaign:

This game begins in England in 517 AD, over a decade after the death of Arthur at the Battle of Camlin. This game is extremely high on roleplaying, character interaction, and investigation, with extensive backstory and characters who hide interesting secrets. There are also a few segments with ancient ruins, plenty of combat, and even some fun interludes and tournaments to cool off in between adventures. I have strictly limited magic in this world, and so I use some alternate base classes, prestige classes, and other rules to help convey the Arthurian feel. The character histories are pregenerated, though customisation of the character in skills, feats, classes, and developing personality is left open for the players--this allows me to tie the characters into the world and the story in many interesting ways, which includes inserting special subplots for each character that can open up special abilities for each character. (For the record, the characters are: Sir Caladorn of Brittany, a noble knight who seeks to emulate Galahad, Tobias Andelar, a mischievous noble who enjoys roguish escapades, Oisin of Ulster, a Fenian berserker warrior as well as a Skald and collecter of great tales, Brother Richard Partholon, an Irish Catholic priest from Connacht, and Naoise Treestrider, a mysterious ranger whose family was murdered while he was away and who bears a deep scar from his fight with a powerful bear).

Eyros: Eyros is a setting designed by ENWorlders, including me, that will be published some day by Lion's Den (I would mention the name of the game designer who is helping to edit it, but then he would have to check this thread when he searches for his name, so I'll just say he's a rodent vampire ;). Eyros is a dominion dominated by six powerful Human and Orc families called Pillars, and the Grand Monarch is always a first-generation half-orc, with one parent from a Human Pillar and the other from an Orc Pillar. Meanwhile, the grim Praes Thanatos, a corps of Gnomish Necromancers, act as the nation's secret police. The world of Eyros contains a myriad of other interesting countries as well, including the infamous halfling pirates, who took to the sea to avoid the sovereignty of Eyros. There are very few standard gods in Eyros. Instead, there are religions venerating the sacred lizards of the land, the different aspects of Flame, and even Light itself. There's lots of fun stuff for adventure!

Rystil's Gestalt Neospelljamming: Don't know what this is? Check any of my current games (except LEW games). There's also a lovely Encyclopaedia thread in OOC with an excellent summary file in it by unleashed. Basically, I made a bunch of new worlds, races, and classes. It's pretty neat, but I do have a bunch of games using this already.

Planescape: Everyone likes Planescape--okay not everyone, but I think it's pretty cool. I thought I'd make this an option, but I don't really have anything specific for it, and I left my 2e Planescape stuff at home. But I'll be home soon, so throwing this one out there.

Something Else I forgot to put here but mentioned before: I told some people on the boards about ideas I had, so if I forgot any of those, please vote for this and tell me!

Other (And I'm going to tell you what it is below): Have a good idea? Even a wacky one? Let me know below. I'll consider any idea that I can run without buying a book I don't have. I may veto something from Other, though, even if it gets lots of votes.

Rystil Arden

First Post
unleashed said:
Well as I told you already I like any and all of them...I just can't choose. :D
Vote for all the ones you like--that's why it is multiple choice. If I get it down to two or three from this, I can always do a run-off election ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Voted :)

I'd love to see you do Eberron, particularly since those games seem to have a high mortality rate here in PbP land.

Lord Wyrm

First Post
Homebrew is always fun.
Planescape continues to rock, ever since 2ed.
And, as Bront suggested, Eberron would be cool. And Eberron is sweet.

unleashed

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Vote for all the ones you like--that's why it is multiple choice. If I get it down to two or three from this, I can always do a run-off election ;)

Okay I voted and if one of the 'other' suggestions strikes my fancy I'll just make another post. ;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Voted :)

I'd love to see you do Eberron, particularly since those games seem to have a high mortality rate here in PbP land.
I don't have a single Eberron book ;) You'd be surprised about the random way I made my Eberron characters. For Selene, it was something like this: Let me find a map of Eberron online. Okay, what's this tree place called? Oh, the Eldeen Reaches? Okay, that's where Selene lives. I later learned about the Greensingers, and I was amused about how I had randomly chosen the perfect home for her :D

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
I don't have a single Eberron book ;) You'd be surprised about the random way I made my Eberron characters. For Selene, it was something like this: Let me find a map of Eberron online. Okay, what's this tree place called? Oh, the Eldeen Reaches? Okay, that's where Selene lives. I later learned about the Greensingers, and I was amused about how I had randomly chosen the perfect home for her :D
Yeah, but you have had access to it. I'm sure you coud do something if you tried :p

Rystil Arden

First Post
Heh, looks like my "everyone likes Planescape" comment was true so far, with 100% votes for it :lol: Too bad I don't have any specific ideas for Planescape yet--I just put it up there because I think it's cool :heh:

I have the most planning done for the top two, some general ideas for Eyros and Spelljamming, and not much for Planescape. I could try to do something Eberronish, but I would probably be pulling most of it out of...well, you know :lol:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Yeah, but you have had access to it. I'm sure you coud do something if you tried :p
My parents asked me what my little brother would want for the holidays, and I told them Five Nations and Sharn, City of Towers, so I might have access to those. He already has ECS, Races of Eberron, and Magic of Eberron. The problem is that I haven't read them at all ;) :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads