• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

S&SS: Advanced d20 Compendium?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Can someone fill me in on this product?

WWP16721.jpg

The Advanced d20 Compendium is a companion volume to the Players Handbook and other d20 core rulebooks, providing a wealth of new rules options, plus expanded classes, new skills, new combat systems, and more.

Anyone have it? What is in it? Is it good?

Crothian

First Post
I have it...like you had to ask :D

It has some very good option in it. I like some of the prestige classes, the Udon art is damn good but they didn't do all the art in the book (that isn't to say the rest of the art is bad, Hound and I have a mutual friend at Udon), their high level rules are different then the Epic level ones they are more like the high level book from second edition. THe critical hit system is okay, but I perfer the one in Torn Asunder. If you have some specific questions I can go grab it of my slef and give more complete answers. I tried to talk about it when it came out in the spring but there was zero interest in the product.

HellHound

I'm considering picking it up @ RPGshop, and was curious about opinions in general on it. I like optional rules so...

:)

Crothian

First Post
Okay, here's a run done and opinions on everything

Chapter one: Character Options

Here they have herioc merits and tragic flaws. THe interesting thing is they are tied to attributes. So, if you happen to have a low attribute you can get merits for it and at the same time if your stats are to high you get flaws. THe merits I found botring the flaws I found rich and fun. THere are also racial class modifiers that give a difference between classes depenedant on races. These are small things like a +1 reflex save for adroit feet or treat a charsma 2 points higher towards dwarves because of the their nice beard.

Chapter 2: Character classes

THere's the Dilettante, a prestige class that needs to have 4 levels of seperate classes and 20 skills with no more then 5 ranks in any. THey can gain almost any aclass ability from the other classes.

the elemtalist is pretty much what one would expect, the gallowglass is the ultimate in armor wearing fighters, the gemcaster is self explanitory, pit fighter is really cool and so much better then the Wizards version, sidestepper is a class the specializes in teleport like abilities it s great

then there are elite prestige classes. Basically they are tougher classes to get into requring 12 levels or higher.

arcane warrior is pretty basic, plant master is cool, rogue hunter is also cool, temperal mage is possible one of the best takes on temperal magic I've read, undead bane is also good but basic

Next are epic levels. XP progresssion slows down taking 30 thousand to go from 21st to 22nd for instance. ranks, feats, attributes bonuses progress like pre 20th level. THese only go up to 30th level so I feel they work very well since they don't have to scale to infinity and beyond. They only extend the core classes but do them like second edition high level book which I really liked. The one think they don't do that I would have liked is tenth level spells.

then come the truely alternate rules in Chapter 3: alternate combat rules :D

there are new rules for iniaitve, critical fumbles, complex fumbles, alternative combat rules like phased combat (it increases the uncertainity in battles), weapons speeds, armor damage, wound level system, detailed critical hits...

Chapter 4 is new arcane spellcasting systems

you have man based system, skill based system, spell criticals

Chapter 5 variant Magic

Aethercraft (magic through science) with a core class for it
Animism again with a core class
Geomancy (ley line magic) with core class
Soulcrafting "art of personality thrft and identity buglary" sounds really cool and of course has a core class
New spell lists for each of the core classes and new spells for the classes

Chapter 6: Castles and Keeps

THis is a really cool system that works communities like characters. They have specific feats they can take to enhance the towns, their own ability scores tro help define them, etc. Its a really cool idea and I wish I was running the type of game this could be used and meaningful.There's rules for the places reputation, figureing out its welath, governemnt, philosphies...its one of the most inovative systems I've seen.

So, in conclusion it has some great options and options I'm not so interested in (the combat stuff). I've yet to actually get to use any of it yet, it like just doesn't fit my character ofr my game at the moment.

HellHound

Thanks Monte!

Well, with Monte Cook's endorsement, and doubly so with Crothian's, I have just put this into my shopping cart @ RPGshop.

Anyone want to recommend other books I should add to it? :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads