• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sacred Cows for any edition

Which Sacred Cows are required to feel like D&D?

• Six Ability Scores

Votes: 144 87.3%
  • Alignment

Votes: 61 37.0%
  • Hit Points

Votes: 141 85.5%
  • Armor Class

Votes: 132 80.0%
  • Saving Throws

Votes: 87 52.7%
  • Cleric Domains

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Eight Schools of Magic

Votes: 16 9.7%
  • Levels

Votes: 155 93.9%
  • Skill Ranks

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Other (post your sacred cow below)

Votes: 41 24.8%

Najo

First Post
With each edition of D&D, designers have to consider which features of the game are "sacred cows" worthy of keeping. Sacred cows are elements of D&D that have to remain in the game for the game to feel like or be D&D.

I was curious which of these features do you feel a previous or new edition of D&D (or another OGL variant like Pathfinder) would need to have to be D&D so I posted this poll. The poll is multiple choice, so vote for each Sacred Cow you feel so be in D&D. If something is a cow you feel I miss, then choose other and list the missing cow in a post below.

Six ability scores
Alignment
HP
AC
Levels

Other:
+ Classes (Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Thief/Rogue)
+ Races (Human, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Half-elf)
+ Magic in general
+ Dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20)

Doug McCrae

Legend
Classes (#1 most important), levels, fantasy setting, lots of spells, lots of monsters, lots of magic items, maybe d20 to hit, maybe hit points, maybe armor class.

ferratus

Adventurer
All I really need for it to be D&D is levels, races and classes.

Which is ironically, the most awkward and restrictive part of D&D vs. other RPG systems (like GURPS or Tri-Stat).

TwinBahamut

First Post
Levels, races, and classes are the only things I consider absolutely essential. I'm rather surprised the latter two are not on this poll...

Of course, I think AC (a name change would be fine, but the concept works), HP, and the six stats are just below those three in importance, with HP being slightly higher than the other two.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
One thing I would've added to the poll is the race/class method of character generation. I.E., your character's abilities are largely determined by their choice of race and class, rather than alignment, character background, or whatever.

I might even go so far as to say that class should determine the majority of your abilities, with race adding a few interesting wrinkles, additional abilities, and options (such as feat choices or paragon paths). If you had a D&D without most of your abilities determined by class, it wouldn't feel very much like D&D to me.

pawsplay

Hero
Sacred cows are elements of D&D that have to remain in the game for the game to feel like or be D&D.

Rather the things that people insist must be, as in, "You must not harm the sacred cow." Naturally, they are not essential, otherwise there wouldn't be talk of slaughtering sacred cows, after which the game has thus far continued.

malraux

First Post
For me, the six stats, HP, AC, leveling, and classes; and heavy use of the d20 in resolution mechanics. And I'm not particularly wed to the idea of the 6 stats and could see some other system working about as well. But I tend to be inclusionist in my taxonomy, so if something called itself DnD, I'd probably count it as DnD.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads